Varmints/small to medium game

Thanks once again. Starting to look real hard at the 25-06 with a 24 in barrel. What barrel twist is optimal?

243 24" 1/8" in case you want to sling some 115 gr high BC bullets.

My .25-06 is a standard 24" factory barrel with 1-10" twist I believe.

It shoots 85gr-120grain bullets all quite well.

Its a broad spectrum to be sure. Had some trouble with some of the older 90 grain Barnes XBTs and Sierra 117 grain Pro-Hunters in the past but I believe that was from some of the individual lots of bullets and my lack of toying with OAL in those cases.

The .25-06 is one especially that I have noticed OAL being especially important for bughole groups.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide on.

Will do. Right now it's a battle of the 6mm, 257, and 6.5.

The 6.5 Creedmoor has been brought up and Terry found one of the Vanguards chambered in it. I have been lusting for a Creedmoor but not sure of its performance on game.

257 in a Mark V Ultra Light would serve a person well for sure as I have a Vanguard and a Lazermark in 257 and you hold it on hair out to 400 you will have a 800 yd walk to retrieve your critter! I have carried my 257 on a cow elk hunt and still feel that I had enough rifle even with a 100 gr TSX ! Did not harvest but had no problem taking it and on a cow hunt I would grab it again! 1/4 bore will work on anything from cow elk to PDogs! If you are wanting to,save hides just get a Weatherby 22-250 1-14 twist and have some fun! Super Varmint Master would be my choice for a smaller option! Also have 1 of them :mrgreen:

(y)

ajvigs":ufkgzloq said:
Will do. Right now it's a battle of the 6mm, 257, and 6.5.

The 6.5 Creedmoor has been brought up and Terry found one of the Vanguards chambered in it. I have been lusting for a Creedmoor but not sure of its performance on game.

...because it's loaded to higher pressures it pretty much duplicates the 6.5X55 that the Scandahoovians have been killing "elk" (too much aquavitae, they can't tell the difference between a moose & an elk :roll: :p ) w/ for almost a century. Lots of very high BC/ SD hunting bullets available. Deer I shot w/ mine was dead. Not enough difference in MV from the .260 to make a real difference, fits a short action much better. The minimal recoil in a heavier rifle (mine's about 9.5#) makes it pretty pleasant to shoot even relatively high volumes of targets, pdawgs...

Wildgene pretty well described the 6.5 Creedmoor. It is a fine cartridge that will work very well on game.

Thanks Wildgene. That Creedmoor looks awesome. I think one of the 6.5's or the 25-06 will be my final choice.

Wildgene, what type of accuracy are you getting from the Creedmoor?

ajvigs":1z4o587c said:
Thanks Wildgene. That Creedmoor looks awesome. I think one of the 6.5's or the 25-06 will be my final choice.

Wildgene, what type of accuracy are you getting from the Creedmoor?

...load development @ 200yds., haven't quite tweeked it down tight, yet...

Back