Varying COAL 's with Ballistic Tips ?

trapper10

Beginner
Jul 25, 2024
Hello, I'm getting variations in length. The plastic tip is NOT touching the bullet seater. It's seating on the ogive. Neck tension is equal, cases are trimmed to the same length. What are the likely culprits?

How much variation are you seeing? Measuring base to tip you’ll almost always see slight variations. Use a comparator and measure base to ogive, and I’ll bet you’ll see far less variation. I usually only measure base to tip if I’m working with close tolerances in a magazine. setting magazine length restrictions aside, the base to ogive is the more critical and consistent measurement, especially when your chasing the lands and figuring jump.

Last edited:
Ha ha :ROFLMAO: the dark art of reloading, off down the rabbit hole eh!
Bullet comparator measuring from ogive is always best - bullet tip to case head measurements will always see variations even with plastic tipped bullets & especially with lead tipped. It's also likely that using standard bullet seating dies, variations can occur with slightly different ram pressure applied (Even with competition dies) when seating a bullet.
I found using a small (Sinclair) arbour press with LE Wilson seating dies is far more consistent - variations of +/- .0005" Max. However, such tolerances are unnecessary for hunting. I just pay attention to it because I can & because I like to :) Good luck

Last edited:
Ha ha :ROFLMAO: the dark art of reloading, off down the rabbit hole eh!
Bullet comparator measuring from ogive is always best - bullet tip to case head measurements will always see variations even with plastic tipped bullets & especially with lead tipped. It's also likely that using standard bullet seating dies, variations can occur with slightly different ram pressure applied (Even with competition dies) when seating a bullet.
I found using a small (Sinclair) arbour press with LE Wilson seating dies is far more consistent - variations of +/- .0005" Max. However, such tolerances are unnecessary for hunting. I just pay attention to it because I can & because I like to :) Good luck

This is great advice!
I measure the actual bullets from the lot, and try, and find an average of the measurements, and then use that bullet to start.
I then do a COAL measurement, switch to the comparator and get a CBTO for that bullet, and use that to start with.

Good advice giving by others. I would take 10 bullets out if the box and measure base to ogive to see what the variation is.

It would be a rare occurrence, but if all else checks out, you could measure base to datum line with a comparator and see if the shoulders are set back the same.

Back