Venison Medallions

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
I was tagged for kitchen duty this evening. Since I worked all afternoon dethatching the lawn, at 5:30 I still hadn't started anything. I had a whitetail tenderloin that was partially thawed to the point it was just pliable. I sliced it into medallions and set it aside. I sliced a purple onion, a red pepper and several asparagus stalks while I began melting a pat of butter in the skillet. I finely chopped a clove of garlic and put it in a small amount of extra virgin olive oil. I sauteed the vegetables, seasoning with salt, ancho pepper, cumin and oregano. When they were almost ready, I added the olive oil and garlic to flavour the mix. I dished the veggies into a small bowl and placed the medallions in the remaining seasoned butter/oil. These quickly browned and were cooked to perfection. I plated the medallions with the vegetables arranged beside them. With the drippings of the pan, I added about a tablespoon of flour, salt and a bit of milk to make a white gravy which was poured over the medallions. Served with a sweet potato, it made a feast fit for a king. The medallions were tender and tasty. Yeah, I'd try this again.

David, it was quick and tasty. I had to work with what I had. I didn't have time to marinate the tenderloin, so medallions came to mind. The flavour was delectable. I'd made tortellini last evening with Alfredo. I'd included some chopped asparagus just as the tortellini was finishing. I topped this was some shredded asiago cheese. Again, it was quick and delightfully delicious. Consequently, I had a bit of the asparagus left over, so I had to do something quick. In any case, it all worked out well.

Oh, yeah, it was good! This was from a young doe I dropped last fall. The meat has been really tender and tasty. This was quite a colourful plate, as well.

DrMike":329zyumb said:
Oh, yeah, it was good! This was from a young doe I dropped last fall. The meat has been really tender and tasty. This was quite a colourful plate, as well.

Sounds like it! Want me to send you my address. I am always in for sampling food, just to make sure it is fit for consumption by the rest of us? I have a microwave to heat it up!

Tell you what, come up for a visit and I'll whip up a few dishes so we can try them.

Mike,

That sounds really good!
I am going to give that one a try.

JD338

DrMike":2e1ad2yc said:
Tell you what, come up for a visit and I'll whip up a few dishes so we can try them.

I am all over it! I might have to walk up the side of a mountain just to keep my weight in check around your place. Even your salads sound pretty good!

Apparently, I do eat well. Now, I need to walk up the side of the mountain! :roll:

I'll make certain that the freezer is full! What we lack, we'll go find fresh in the field. (Just turn that moose loose, I'll bite him when he runs by.)

Scotty you come up a little south and east of Doc's and pick me up on the way. I think between the 3 of us it could likely put a dent in that freezer of Docs.
BBQ Elk tenderloin is calling :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

Mike - thanks for that - I was just looking in the freezer at my dwindling venison supply and saw a couple of packages of whitetail tenderloins from last year. Was wondering how I should cook them this time...

About how long did you have 'em in the skillet? Not long I'd think.

May surprise the family with these this weekend!

Guy, I like my venison medium rare, so just browning leaves them pretty much where they are most flavourful and most tender.

MIKE - you did good!

My wife tolerates venison steaks. Up to now... Big hit here at my house. No leftovers... :grin:

Didn't follow your directions to the letter, but close enough. Wow... Great stuff!

Thanks, Guy

Back