Video

ronc80

Beginner
Dec 29, 2018
Anyone got any good links to videos for reloading? Start to finish videos. All in one video or a series would be fine.
Thanks
Ron

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

If Fotis’s reloading class was recorded, that would be the ticket.

I looked a couple times and never found one I really liked.

I’ll take a peek for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The manuals are great.

Steps are easy.

Stuff you have to have.

1) a press
2) dies and shell holders
3) scale in grains
4) priming tool.
5) powder funnel
6) caliper in 0.001” accuracy.

Consumables
1) case lubricant for sizing.(I like imperial wax, there are many choices, I think I tried them all before the wax.
2) bullets
3) brass
4) primers( in the right type and size)
5) powder.

There’s many optional tools.
Case prep tools, primer pocket tools, neck prep, trickles, powder drops.

I’d tell you start with something simple
Like 223 with a boat tailed bullet. I say boat tail, because flat bases sometimes need a little extra case prep. I think a 243 win was my first hand load. The flat base was a bit wider than the neck, so I crushed a couple cases, shaved jacket off a couple bullets( sharp edge on the necks). They shot great inspite of my self taught skills.

I did stick a 3006 case bad. Could not get it out...well, there’s a $10 kit for removing stuck cases... I’ve probably used it three times... none since I switched to imperial wax.

Let’s see if Fotis jumps in.

mjcmichigan":yx7593ef said:
Brownells has a decent set of videos on reloading. 1 & 2 were warm up videos. Jump in on #3

https://youtu.be/iI0dninYJ0g

Post your questions here if you have any.

I have put out a few to you all already and have gotten excellent advise. I check out the videos in the morning with my coffee. Thank you

mjcmichigan":31ucjlmq said:
The manuals are great.

Steps are easy.

Stuff you have to have.

1) a press
2) dies and shell holders
3) scale in grains
4) priming tool.
5) powder funnel
6) caliper in 0.001” accuracy.

Consumables
1) case lubricant for sizing.(I like imperial wax, there are many choices, I think I tried them all before the wax.
2) bullets
3) brass
4) primers( in the right type and size)
5) powder.

There’s many optional tools.
Case prep tools, primer pocket tools, neck prep, trickles, powder drops.

I’d tell you start with something simple
Like 223 with a boat tailed bullet. I say boat tail, because flat bases sometimes need a little extra case prep. I think a 243 win was my first hand load. The flat base was a bit wider than the neck, so I crushed a couple cases, shaved jacket off a couple bullets( sharp edge on the necks). They shot great inspite of my self taught skills.

I did stick a 3006 case bad. Could not get it out...well, there’s a $10 kit for removing stuck cases... I’ve probably used it three times... none since I switched to imperial wax.

Let’s see if Fotis jumps in.

I have a few things already. Press got here Thursday. Everything on your list has been ordered [emoji809] more things. I've jumped in with both feet well it co6t me both feet and an arm and a half just for 1000 primers. Lol
I've been going through the hornady hand book to get myself hooked into the terminology. You guys talk in code. I'm getting better but ill get there. I hope.
Thanks for the list I went through it a few times to make sure I hadn't missed anything.

that's a pretty good list above.

I kind of made a list of what I think are must haves .

press , dies , shellholder , case length trimmer ,primer pocket cleaner ,inside neck brush , powder funnel , bullet puller *, calipers , scale , debur tool inside & outside , lube pad & lube , stuck case remover * , loading tray , a way to get powder on the scale . tweezers . I don't use a powder throw or drop whatever you want to call it . it takes to much time to set them up . I dump powder in a plastic butter tub and use the Lee spoons then trickle up to desired weight .if I go over a kernel or 2 I pick them out with tweezers .

* these two items are like an eraser on a pencil , you only need them if you make a mistake .

nice to have

hand primer tool and primer flip tray

there are a lot more things to add as you get going . between the 2 list we should have you a good starting point .

I learned to reload from the Lyman book that came in my kit . I'm not sure if these newer books include any how to info .

Ok i believe it will be easier to type what I don't have already or whats on the way. I'm hoping some checks will clear the bank Monday and I will be getting these things. Case cleaning stuff. I'm going to go with wet cleaning with stainless steel media. Case trimmer. I've researched a few and the worlds finest case trimmer 2 (WFT 2) has me leaning in that direction. Overall length gauge, the bent one because my main rifle is a lever action. Concentricity tool, hornady looks like a good one and it allows you to fix a bullet that's off.
Of course a stuck case remover was not on my list. I'm going to make a mistake. Seems like this is how I learn a good bit of the time. I will get into searching for that after I get done with my one finger stabbing here.
I have a ton of questions for everyone here but I'm waiting until I get everything set up. I'm still working on the bench in my 12x20 shed I built. Which is already to small for what I need for all my needs. Thank you guys for taking the time to get me going in the right direction. More to come beware [emoji6]

Might need to do a little looking around to find exactly what you want, but my friend Gavin Gear has been making reloading videos for years. Has a great You Tube channel. There are hundreds of videos. Somewhere in there, he's probably got info you'd like.

Note - Gavin is a fast paced, high-energy kind of guy - my goodness. And, he's my friend. We shoot together. Heck, I'm in a couple of his videos. I'm not fast. LOL. So, here ya go - I link to I think 500+ videos on handloading:

https://www.youtube.com/c/Ultimatereloader/videos

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":29zbslw0 said:
Might need to do a little looking around to find exactly what you want, but my friend Gavin Gear has been making reloading videos for years. Has a great You Tube channel. There are hundreds of videos. Somewhere in there, he's probably got info you'd like.

Note - Gavin is a fast paced, high-energy kind of guy - my goodness. And, he's my friend. We shoot together. Heck, I'm in a couple of his videos. I'm not fast. LOL. So, here ya go - I link to I think 500+ videos on handloading:

https://www.youtube.com/c/Ultimatereloader/videos

Regards, Guy
I've watched a ton of his videos

FYI, I started the same way as Jim B. Butter tub, plastic spoon and tweezers.

You did jump in with both feet.

What calibers do you plan to load?

I shoot a 45 acp, so had a progressive set up for that alone. Other pistol, 38, 44, I load on the single stage. I buy my 9mm when I see it on sale ( lately..just when I see it ).

Welcome to the R A club ( Reloaders anonymous club, also a home for OCD people ... obsessive compulsive disorder... we all have a love for extreme detail )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mjcmichigan":o9r9qcem said:
FYI, I started the same way as Jim B. Butter tub, plastic spoon and tweezers.

You did jump in with both feet.

What calibers do you plan to load?

I shoot a 45 acp, so had a progressive set up for that alone. Other pistol, 38, 44, I load on the single stage. I buy my 9mm when I see it on sale ( lately..just when I see it ).

Welcome to the R A club ( Reloaders anonymous club, also a home for OCD people ... obsessive compulsive disorder... we all have a love for extreme detail )

7mm08 to start. Then my son has a 243 that I might try. I've made him save all his brass for the last 2 years. OCD, psychotic anal, perfectionist all of the above for me. I'm in construction if you start right it ends right. For me rough framing is finish framing.

When you get to the 243win, try this recipe out...
Sierra Game King #1530 - 85 gn HPBT ( hollow point boat tail )
Winchester Large Rifle primer, RL26 49.4gns, 3250 FPS on my magnetospeed, oal, 2.640. Groups were 0.325” at 100 yards.

Took 6 crop damage does with it. Range was 45 yards closest, longest shot was 260 yards. There were two concerns the farmer had, subdivisions went up on both sides of his centennial farm.. so didn’t want bullets leaving the property, and two, didn’t want deer dying where the neighbors could see them.

This bullet really got it done. Double lung shots. 6 entrance holes, one exit hole. 5 basically were dead right there, DRT, one made 20 yards, that one had the exit hole...

Our local range has a gong at 200 and 300... my son loves pounding those SGK into them...

And 7-08, that’s what I think my son should be shooting...

We lost a few deer on the 243 on some other bullets, lack of blood trail... the ballistic tip and AccuBond are great bullets that will get it done too, just a little more risk of the bullet exiting..which is normally desirable to find game. That SGK HPBT shot like a match bullet for us...and it’s cheap next to some other choices.

Guy Miner":84my00yy said:
Excellent - and he's of course got his own website:

https://ultimatereloader.com/

Guy

Yup- Watched some of Gavin's stuff too. Seems like he's up on the latest, generally seems practical, and interesting.

However, I find the gentleman in the link below, knowledgeable, parctical and interesting. He's a little slow to listen to some times, but dosent go in for all the latest hype or "you have to have" but makes and shoots some impressive stuff. He's got a 257 Roberts that he loads for that is just spooky accurate. Link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXnwM_T ... LOE-iRC4fm

PS: YES- if Fotis was doing videos, he's your man. Dont know of anyone who produces more consistient sub inch groups with so many different rifles and Calbres.

ronc80":vrtv368b said:
Ok i believe it will be easier to type what I don't have already or whats on the way. I'm hoping some checks will clear the bank Monday and I will be getting these things. Case cleaning stuff. I'm going to go with wet cleaning with stainless steel media. Case trimmer. I've researched a few and the worlds finest case trimmer 2 (WFT 2) has me leaning in that direction. Overall length gauge, the bent one because my main rifle is a lever action. Concentricity tool, hornady looks like a good one and it allows you to fix a bullet that's off.
Of course a stuck case remover was not on my list. I'm going to make a mistake. Seems like this is how I learn a good bit of the time. I will get into searching for that after I get done with my one finger stabbing here.
I have a ton of questions for everyone here but I'm waiting until I get everything set up. I'm still working on the bench in my 12x20 shed I built. Which is already to small for what I need for all my needs. Thank you guys for taking the time to get me going in the right direction. More to come beware [emoji6]

wow , you are trying to start at the top . looks like you got a bunch of nice stuff . with all this equipment go slow and ask questions , don't get discouraged . if it gets overwhelming remember , you can build ammo with about half of the stuff you have . you can keep upping your game as you gain knowledge .

Yea I'm pretty sure I didn't need a lot of this stuff I got to get started(dont tell Momma) but I go all in when I'm doing something. My shed was for working on my wheelers but now I have to make room for this. I'm thinking of a 4' to 6' bench with doors that close around it to keep dirt and stuff out when I'm not working on reloading. I've been pretty busy so haven't even got out there to do anything. Its a work in progress. Maybe by the time I get rolling prices on stuff will drop and get more readily available. I can hope anyway.

You’ve got a lot of great choices on your list. You’re skipping a bunch of typical buy, try, and decide you really want something else..

I had a Wilson trimmer, which while slow, it simple and accurate. I lost a lot of steel tools in a flood that took almost 4 days to recede. In hindsight we could have salvaged more, but we spent over a week going through stuff and trying to clean it... my Wilson trimmer was a casualty. I replaced it with a Lyman case trim express. I love it. I would have never upgraded that without the flood. It’s comparable to the Wilson with consistency... if we are talking same head stamp. Sometimes I see some brands have their shoulders set up a little different.

ronc80":2kz7isly said:
Anyone got any good links to videos for reloading? Start to finish videos. All in one video or a series would be fine.
Thanks
Ron

Randy Newberg did one with Nosler that looked pretty decent.

A good manual lays it out pretty well. This place is A1 certified GREAT if you have questions beyond the books.

ronc80":bxpx9a35 said:
Yea I'm pretty sure I didn't need a lot of this stuff I got to get started(dont tell Momma) but I go all in when I'm doing something. My shed was for working on my wheelers but now I have to make room for this. I'm thinking of a 4' to 6' bench with doors that close around it to keep dirt and stuff out when I'm not working on reloading. I've been pretty busy so haven't even got out there to do anything. Its a work in progress. Maybe by the time I get rolling prices on stuff will drop and get more readily available. I can hope anyway.

reloading areas can't be to big . they also need a lot of storage space , like shelves or cabinets .

Back