Vihta Vuori powder?

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
Please tell me about their powder. My local store has a lot of it and in many kinds. It is on the bottom shelf and no one buys it. Looking at loading .223 for the most part along with 25-06 and 30-06.

Excellent powders that burn quite cleanly. I use a lot of it for various cartridges. The N100 series are single base powders. The N500 series are double base powders. The N300 series are single base porous powders for handguns.

Awesome powders as Mike said. The reason no one is buying it is that it is quite a bit more expensive than the other brands. My 338 lapua loves N570....it does suck loading 91 grains a pop when a pound is $34 though!

shoots_5":3o16zd2j said:
Awesome powders as Mike said. The reason no one is buying it is that it is quite a bit more expensive than the other brands. My 338 lapua loves N570....it does suck loading 91 grains a pop when a pound is $34 though!

Try paying $119 for two pound jugs! It is pricey powder. However, for some applications, it is the way to go. I use a lot of N570 for RUMs and 338 Lapuas and similar cartridges. I find N560 and N550 to be among the best I can use in my 300WSM and in both the 270WSM and 7mm WSM. N165 is a "go to" powder for the 7RM.

Back when they first introduced it and it was cheaper, my favorite loads in .308, .300 savage, 7.5 Swiss and 30-06 were with V N140. This powder is suitable for the M1Garand also. It is similar in application and grain size to IMR 4064.

I've used it in the .300 WSM and .308 Win with excellent results. Those are two of my most accurate rifles, and the VV powders delivered. Excellent powder. I got the impression that VV is really concerned with quality and their reputation.

Watch the load data, it can be a little tough to find sometimes.

Guy

I have used it as well. It is clean as stated and in my experience, generally has really good low SD's. Only issue it's a bit higher priced, and why many pass on it for another.

I use N560 for my 270 win ( 140 AB ) and for 6.5x55 SE ( 140 AB). It is clean burning, fast. N160 is just perfect for 280 AI with 120 BT. 3300 fps with super accuracy. The set back is the price. I plan to try some with 7mm rem mag.
Vodekz

Yeah, I could get into some of that as well. Maybe a little extra money, but it seems the accuracy is very good with it, and if it is cleaner burning, that's a bonus for the gas guns.

SJB358":24no3ygp said:
Yeah, I could get into some of that as well. Maybe a little extra money, but it seems the accuracy is very good with it, and if it is cleaner burning, that's a bonus for the gas guns.

Yep, that is why one of the first load ramps in this DMPS is going to be N-130 I have on hand. If I had N-133 I would try that as well. Which both would do double duty in the 45-70 as well, should I need. It shoot fasts and accurate in the Encore .223 barrel, can't wait to try it in this gun. Maybe this weekend if temps moderate some. I just need to switch out a scope for test temporarily.

Dave,

I've used a fair amount of N133 in my .358. It gives me good performance. It could easily become a "go to" powder for that cartridge.

I believe that Mike. Come to think of it, I can't remember anyone having or stating negatives on VV powders of any kind. It runs about 30% more expense here, and that is the only reason I don't use more of it. But in some guns, cost don't equate into their use also.

Good stuff, but to expensive and harder to get a hold of and to many other good powders out there that do the job for me. I got burnt using a pound, had a great load then had trouble getting it when I wanted it. The cost with as much shooting as I do from Feb to Sept I just don't want to spend that much on powder nor have to order it because the gun stores down here only every once in a while carry it. I did like it and it has performed well the few times I got to use it.

Dr Mike,

Have you found a sweet spot/range with N560 and N550 in 300WSMs and 165/168 g bullets. Plan on giving these powders a go in my new Sako (no love for these in my previous Rem700 WSM). Of course I will work up my own loads, but I'm always curious about possible sweet spots.

70.0 grains of VN560 with 180 grain Hornady IB
60.0 grains of VN550 with 180 grain Nosler E-Tip
69.0 grains of VN560 with 180 grain Nosler AccuBond
68.0 grains of VN560 with 200 grain Sierra Game King

Whave a lot of these powders available now at local dealers. They cost more and so, are still on shelves when IMR and Alliant powders are gone. I have never used them but Vihtavuori powders have a good reputation.

wisconsinteacher":3ftn4v10 said:
Please tell me about their powder. My local store has a lot of it and in many kinds. It is on the bottom shelf and no one buys it. Looking at loading .223 for the most part along with 25-06 and 30-06.

Finnish powders, very well known in Europe (former Kemira).

For .223 and 55 grainer you should be good with N133, while for heavier bullets probably N140 is gonna be slightly better.
I use Vihtavuori in the following calibers :
.222 Rem --> N133 - N140
5,6x50R Mag --> N140
6,5x57R Mauser --> N550
7x65R Brenneke --> N160
7 Rem. Mag. --> N560

:wink:

I use N110 for loading 300 Blackout Subsonic in my Noveske AR. Loading Subsonic can be tricky to get an AR to cycle correctly. VV N110 does the trick for me. 8.9 gr out a 16 inch barrel with a suppressor.

Back