Vortex Diamondback 4 X 12

Dwh7271

Handloader
Nov 18, 2013
Picked up a couple of these and a Viper a little while ago on a deal.
Before I go a lot further, I do have a little bias here. These take me to six Vortex Scopes and two pairs of binoculars by Vortex. So yes, I like their glass and it seems to work for me.
Mounted one on the 280 AI I built to test a few loads and break the rifle in.
I have to say, side by side with a VX2- 4 X12, and a Nikon ProStaff Nikkoflex 3 X 9 the Diamondback has better resolution and is clearer to my eye. Not putting down either of the others but the Diamondback was better. Looking through a 2-10 Viper also it was really difficult to find a difference, FWIW.
I shot the rifle at 25 to get on paper, scope was clear and precise.
Back to 100, a few clicks each way and good to go.
The adjustments are amazingly precise for a scope at this price point. I was a little left and low. The clicks needed to get centered by inches were exactly what the turret clicks ended up being, if that makes sense?
Cleaned the barrel multiple times and stretched it to 200. Same experience. The load and rifle were right where I expected it to be. For the scope, no distortion or wavy images. Clear.
Went to 300 for 3 and same thing. Even dialed up to 10 (I buy stronger scopes than I need to keep from using max powers, seems that at max is where I get distortion, I wear no line bifocals and sometimes tilt my head a little and get it in the wrong part of the lens )
Haven't banged this scope around that much but through 30 rounds or so, some of them pretty healthy, no change in POI.
I was planning on testing the rifle with this scope then maybe mounting the Viper but I really cannot complain about any aspect of the Diamondback so I'm leaving it on and give it a real road test. :grin: This scope surprised me with the clarity, ease of adjustment and simplicity.
Mounts are Talleys, medium.
It's on a Savage build.
Reticle is a VPlex.
Here's the scope on their site.
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-diamondback-4-12x40-riflescope-v-plex-reticle

Sounds good. Heard a lot of good things about Vortex. They Customer Service plan is about as good as it gets.

I have four Viper scopes, two PSTs, one of the Midway USA 3-15x models, and a CLNY 6.5-20x Viper that they ran on a special. As little as I've used them (basically just the PST 6-24x on one of my Swifts) I like 'em, and will likely buy more.

At the risk of going slightly off topic, I have a question: there are 4-16x44s in two of the Viper lines, an HST and an HS LR. Is the only difference the capped windage turret on the HS LR versus the target turret on the HST?

Dwh7271":3cyjt080 said:
Yep, no rips, runs, or snags. :grin: They fix it.
You should try one of the new HP series Diamond back if you might want to up grade after you use one. Here's a couple of pics of the one I got with the free sunshade that comes with them.

Attachments

• NCM_0042.JPG
    NCM_0042.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,347
  • NCM_0044.JPG
    NCM_0044.JPG
  • NCM_0045.JPG
    NCM_0045.JPG
  • NCM_0043.JPG
    NCM_0043.JPG
BK,
Don't know if this helps. I think the answer is yes and I believe the LR is designed for a little longer eye relief. FWIW, good pickup on those scopes. They're really nice.

VIPER HS-T RIFLESCOPES

Blending many of the best features from our popular Viper HS and Viper PST riflescopes, the new Viper HS-T (Hunting Shooting Tactical) delivers shooting versatility for hunters, as well as tactical enthusiasts. The Viper HS-T boasts a hashmark-based second-focal-plane reticle perfect for accurate holds at extended ranges. Incredibly precise, repeatable and durable target-style windage and elevation turrets built specifically for dialing, along with a hashmark-based MOA or MRAD reticle, top off this highly versatile riflescope’s long-range performance features. Tree stands to mountain tops, bolt guns to ARs, the Viper HS-T is ideal for a wide range of shooting applications.

VIPER HS LR RIFLESCOPES

Hunting—Shooting—Long—Range. If you like using all these words in the same sentence, then you’re going to love using them all in one riflescope. Built on ultra-strong 30mm one-piece machined aluminum tubes, the Viper HS LR offers increased elevation travel for optimal adjustment, specifically designed to extend your effective range. The advanced optical system is highlighted with a 4x zoom range for magnification versatility. The ultra-friendly eye box with ample eye relief gets shooters on target quickly and easily.

Truck Driver,
Those weren't in the store yet when I got the deal on these. They were just coming out and while intriguing, weren't included in the special I took advantage of.
I really would like to look through one of the HD models. I have yet to find a Vortex product that let me down and the regular Diamondbacks are a pretty darn good scope.
I'm a little jealous you get to play with one. :grin:

I've been quite favourably impressed by each of the Vortex scopes I've used at the range.

My cousin has decided that he is going to try a better quality scope. He is looking real close at the Vortex. I am going to advised him that it is getting great reviews on this site.
I have little doubt the Vortex will be a number of steps up from what he has used in the past.

Blessings,
Dan

Back