Vortex scopes?

Hey pop I just got my vortex viper 6.5-20x44 today and from what I can tell it is a top notch scope. I mounted it with lapped talley mounts on my new 22-250. I'm gonna shoot it within the next couple days. I'll give you a report.

THought I would give you all an update. I have owned three Vortex scopes in the past year. First off the Crossfire series, had three fail on my .300WSM within 50 rounds. Figured it to be the recoil so I upgraded to the Viper (with MilDot). Absolutly loved it. Last April took it out to my long range along with my .243 and new cross fire series. Well, the Crossfire failed on my again, turrets jumping ship. I had a lot of trouble with targets out at 600+ yards with the .300 WSM and Vortex Viper figured my loads were off and took some time off. Well two weeks ago, decided to load up some known rounds and head off to my local range with my .300. I noticed the scope slipping in the mounts slightly at my last shoot so i had the mounts replaced and pro mounted locally. When I got to the range, the scope was off by 5 inches right at 100 yards. No worries, adjusted it over and took three more shots. THis time, it was 3 inches right.?? Adjusted over and took three more shots. First shot dead nuts, the next two were two inches right.. ?? Had enough today so I decided to let the barrel cool and come back in acouple days. Returned three days later, took a single shot at 100 yards and adjusted the sight center. First shot, 1/4" left ok... Im happy. Nest shot, one inch right, next 1.5 inches right... ?? Adjusted the scope one more time and now after three shots, I am once again 2 inches right. No turret jump just shooting right.

All in all, I have had 4 Vortex scopes fail in the past year, three of which were the Crossfire series, each repaired and replaced and failed again. The last one my Viper, which I loved. Sent it back for repair and just recieved notice that it has been shipped repaired.

I was so frustrated with Vortex that I decided to purchase a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-16x40 Mildot. Put this on my .300 WSM and took it out to my long range. In my honest opinion, this scope is far superior then the Vortex Viper, much clearer and brighter. Overall, the buckmaster performed very well out to 800 yards and the Nikon SpotOn software makes shooting at that distance a no brainer.

Anyone of you that are interested in a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 valued at $600 new, I will have either a brand new one (or remanufactured) sitting in my hands in about two days that will be for sale. PM me if your interested. Ill even include shipping in our negotiation. :)

That stinks you are having that rough of a time with them. I wouldn't figure a scope could go bad that many times. Sorry to hear about such poor quality. The 300WSM isn't particularly hard on scopes either. Scotty

Well BalisticsNut, guess what. Last night I wrote to Vortex and expressed my feelings with this same Viper 6.5-20x50 BDC.

I am going to hold off and see what they want to do or if they will even answer then I will decide to comment. I want to say alot right now but lets see if their customer service fairs any better.

338 Win Mag

I have had issues with their Customer Service since the new CS Manager took over. She is not as customer friendly as the last guy. I ended up sending mine in for repair, they sent me a new replacement within about a week of recieving my old one back. No complaints there. The Viper seems a bit more sound then the Crossfire series so I am putting the Viper on my .243 and selling off the Crossfire instead.

Still love my Buckmaster!

Sorry to hear your having similar issues 338winmag. It really sucks!

I need to listen to my wife on this issues more often. She always encourages me to purchase a known good product over a unknown cheap product. In the end, its a cheaper option. Duh!! Having to say, "Honey you were right" so often, it begins to taste like vinager when it rolls off my tongue. :)

Yup, we have a little joke around here with me and my wife about me being "cheap", though I consider the words frugal much better. There are some things you can get away with at lesser cost but your wife's thoughts on "known good product over a unknown cheap product" ring clear on this situation. My beautiful wife would have had no problem me spending more.

I understand people's eyes are different but I had a good number of people compare the $200.00 Nikon Primos to this $500.00 in the real world range and forests and everyone in a matter of split seconds stated no comparison. Everyone could see the monster difference.

So we will see what can happen. I sent email to Vortex. Waiting on reply.

Thanks
338winmag

I'm very surprised to hear that you've had a bad experience with Vortex CS. It is what they have consistently hailed as one of their strengths and core values.

The Crossfires are their Sportview/Whitetail/Pronghorn/Huntmaster equivalent line. I was surprised that they put out a line to fill this niche.

I hope they do you right 338.

I have contacted Vortex Customer Service. They have been receptive of my email and concern. They have immediately sent me out a prepaid return label and the scope is on its way to Vortex. That CS is very impressive so far. I am sure hoping this scope is just a defective scope that missed QC.
I will keep all posted.

Sounds great Steve. I hope they are able to get you back up and running. Scotty

338winmag":3pu3i8de said:
Vortex received my scope on Monday at 11:58 AM. I guess for me, here comes the real test of CS.

Good luck buddy! Hope it is better. Scotty

Update:
Vortex has had my scope since Monday noon.
No acknowledgement, phone call or email so far.

Latest Final Update:

I had received contact from Vortex just a few hours after posting a reply to this thread of no contact. Instead of listing all the communication details, I will just list thoughts and highlights:

Back in January I had originally researched and ordered the new Vortex Viper 4-16x50 HS model. I had called and spoke with the Vortex CS regarding the order and my hunting application. Numerous calls to the Vendor and Vortex about product arrival time got frustrating and confusing to the point that I had cancelled the order and just went with the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50. Upon the very first mounting and out at the range, I started to have some concerns. Upon comparing the Vortex Viper to a Nikon scope 1/2 the price I became unimpressed and disappointed.

In forums all over, I kept hearing that Vortex customer service has a serious internal motto to take care of the customer. Upon reading this thread, I decided to pursue the possibility that this CS reputation could extend and assist me in my disappointment.

I wrote an email to Vortex customer service and waited a response. Once contacted by Vortex CS I was told by Vortex CS that they honestly and seriously want the customer to be very satsified. I heard this and saw this in my personal communications with Vortex and I now can happily say I have experienced it first hand up front.

There was a number of back and forth exchanges between myself and Vortex CS. I must say never did Vortex show, speak, or suggest anything but the dedicated desire to assist me in my issue. Vortex came thru. Their QA team did not see any "out of spec" issues or concerns, but upon a second and additional inspection from an inhouse employee who is also a hunter, it was definitely deemed a scope issue.

Vortex made numerous offers. I accepted the one that mirrored my very first desire back in January.

I am now a happy owner of a brand new Vortex Viper 4-16x50 HS. I took it out to the range yesterday and I can see perfectly clear at 100 yards. This was very unexpected and Vortex came through with their CS and company's show of product integrity and customer service. Monster kudos to Vortex!

Great report. I'm pleased to know that they honour their commitment to shooters who use their product.

That is a great report Steve! Glad they came through for you. They need to keep it up. It is a very competitive market for scopes these days. Scotty

I decided I didn't like the 6.5-20x44 viper as much as I thought once I took it out a few times for four reasons.

1. Horrible eye relief on upper power. I would get scoped 75% of the time on 16-20x with a sporter weight 264 win mag. Ridiculous...

2. Glass isnt all that sharp, again from 16-20x. Little bit of distortion at the edges, and clarity goes down.

3. The sight picture goes completely black very easily with minor cheek/head adjustments again on the upper end.

4. Not enough elevation. I have a 20 MOA base on a 264 with a 200 yd zero and I ran out of clicks at around 925 yards. I was pretty upset with this one...

I'll stick with what I know for the money and thats a Leupold. If I want any better then that, then I know I'm gonna have to spend more money, not half...The vipers are a good entry LR scope. I wouldn't put it on a hard kicker and its not something you can dial out to 1K.

I sold mine couple weeks ago and went back to a VX3 LR 6.5-20x50. Lot better scope IMO.

Vortex..
If you plan on shooting over 500yds, you need elevation!!

The only Vortex with lots elevation is the RAZOR HD... its bad ass...

Also there is Nightforce out there too..

But remember, you not going to get a quality scope pay $500..
I bought a Nightforce for the 100moa in it.
Now my winnie can get out past 2100yds.

ohray

338winmag":1amj2uxs said:
Latest Final Update:

I had received contact from Vortex just a few hours after posting a reply to this thread of no contact. Instead of listing all the communication details, I will just list thoughts and highlights:

Back in January I had originally researched and ordered the new Vortex Viper 4-16x50 HS model. I had called and spoke with the Vortex CS regarding the order and my hunting application. Numerous calls to the Vendor and Vortex about product arrival time got frustrating and confusing to the point that I had cancelled the order and just went with the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50. Upon the very first mounting and out at the range, I started to have some concerns. Upon comparing the Vortex Viper to a Nikon scope 1/2 the price I became unimpressed and disappointed.

In forums all over, I kept hearing that Vortex customer service has a serious internal motto to take care of the customer. Upon reading this thread, I decided to pursue the possibility that this CS reputation could extend and assist me in my disappointment.

I wrote an email to Vortex customer service and waited a response. Once contacted by Vortex CS I was told by Vortex CS that they honestly and seriously want the customer to be very satsified. I heard this and saw this in my personal communications with Vortex and I now can happily say I have experienced it first hand up front.

There was a number of back and forth exchanges between myself and Vortex CS. I must say never did Vortex show, speak, or suggest anything but the dedicated desire to assist me in my issue. Vortex came thru. Their QA team did not see any "out of spec" issues or concerns, but upon a second and additional inspection from an inhouse employee who is also a hunter, it was definitely deemed a scope issue.

Vortex made numerous offers. I accepted the one that mirrored my very first desire back in January.

I am now a happy owner of a brand new Vortex Viper 4-16x50 HS. I took it out to the range yesterday and I can see perfectly clear at 100 yards. This was very unexpected and Vortex came through with their CS and company's show of product integrity and customer service. Monster kudos to Vortex!
338winmag,

I had a similar dealing with Vortex CS. In my case though it was actually nothing Vortex did, but rather the crappy service I got from Sportsmans Warehouse on what was basically false advertising. Long story short they sold us a Viper 15-45-65mm spotter that was supposed to be HD. It was in a HD box also. $449. I happened to notice after a day or so that others spotters had a red HD near the Viper Logo on the side of the spotter. Mine did not. I contacted Vortex and within a half hour they had determined it was not an HD.

At the end of the day Vortex stepped in when the store refused to do so. I am now a proud owner of a Vortex Viper HD in 20-60x80mm for what amounted to nothing. Vortex stepped in with options and delivered. Besides the fact I am a true believer in their optics their CS sealed the deal for me. I will buy more.

I also own a set of 8x42 bino's pre HD glass. However, they do list it as having ED glass so knowing what I know about optics, they are not far apart in quality.

Hey Wapiti Slayer .270 !

What an experience to relate to all of us. I am very happy you did not loose out of pocket on an issue that was not at all your fault. I shop at the Sportsman's here in the Springs. I can't say I have ever had to test the CS yet. The hunting department guys here are pretty knowledgeable and courteous. I would hope that I don't run into a very serious situation like you did. Money is hard earned these days and to take a loss becuase of a store error .... that would test my sunny good nature..

Just before your story, I was back looking for a scope on a new Vanguard. What sold me was my past experience. So .... I bought another Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50mm. I am happy. Now that I read your post, I feel very secure on any future issues will be taken care of by Vortex.

338winmag

Back