Vortex Scopes

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
In my spare time I've been surfing the web and looking at deals and dreaming about future optics I might need and came across a sale on Vortex scopes at Optics Planet. Vortex has a new model HP in the Diamond back line which has side parallax focus that starts with a 2-8x36 and goes up to a 4-16x42. the one I was looking at is a 3-12X42. I have heard that the Diamond back is made in China and the Viper in the Philippines in the same factory as Burris. After E-mailing Vortex I was told the box will say it is made in the Philippines so I guess it is made in the same factory as the Viper.
So what's your opinion the Vortex line of scopes?

Google Vortex Reviews. The guys that own them, love em. Great quality glass. Great warranty too if you need it. I was talking with my gun shop the other day who just started selling them. He was saying not as good of glass as Leupold, however they are quite comparable.

I know a guy who has 2, I shoot with him and his son regularly, very good optics and they track well, his son has the model below the viper on his 243, I've saw him do amazing things with it for a 10 year old (first round hits on a 1 moa rock at 1100 yards) IMO they are a good value.
RR

I have three. Viper, Viper HS, and Viper HST. I love them. They're rugged, clear, track very well, and they have great customer service. Eventually all my rifles will wear a Vortex.

Ridge_Runner":2lzomuko said:
I know a guy who has 2, I shoot with him and his son regularly, very good optics and they track well, his son has the model below the viper on his 243, I've saw him do amazing things with it for a 10 year old (first round hits on a 1 moa rock at 1100 yards) IMO they are a good value.
RR
The 10 year old will be a great one as he gets older but right now he has no nervous system and only aims to please his dad :mrgreen:
Thanks for the info RR.

truck driver":eymozoer said:
Ridge_Runner":eymozoer said:
RR
The 10 year old will be a great one as he gets older but right now he has no nervous system and only aims to please his dad :mrgreen:
Thanks for the info RR.
he has one, it just hasn't been laced with caffeine, nicotine and alcohol yet......yeah I remember when I could shoot!
RR

I put a 4-16 Viper on my 30-378 wby. Works great!

Thanks for the replies everyone. It seems that the Diamond Back HP in 3-12X42 is such a hot number that Optics Planet can't keep them in stock. When I inquired about them I was told they were on back order and they couldn't give me a delivery date so I just chalked that up as a lost cause.
I was also told that Vortex's production couldn't keep up with the sales.

The Viper HS is great but not what I'm looking for. I don't want to have to by new rings when I have several sets for one inch.

Ridge_Runner":25jy9z18 said:
truck driver":25jy9z18 said:
Ridge_Runner":25jy9z18 said:
RR
Thanks for the info RR.
he has one, it just hasn't been laced with caffeine, nicotine and alcohol yet......yeah I remember when I could shoot!
RR

Yeah, nothing better than swilling down 10 or so cups of coffee then trying to shoot small groups... My favorite Tom Clancy line: he's had enough coffee to Hyperactivate a statue.

They are good scopes. I have had a viper now for a few years ,its clear and tracks very well.They have excellent customer service.Lee

Buying scopes have always been difficult for me and I'm sure others. Right now I'm agonizing over a Viper HS-T 4-16x44 and a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50. Both are excellent for target shooting which is what I mostly do.

While I was looking around a found a review icon on the Vortex home page and did a review that I was checking out their products and was considering by one in favor of a different brand. The hosting company kicked it back and said they weren't able to use the review I answered and said no problem the dealer said the product was out of stock and they were on back order and didn't know when they would be available so I had declined to purchase on back order and would consider the other product instead. A Vortex customer service rep sent me an E-mail apologizing for the review vender and posted my review any way he also said he wanted to send me a complimentary tee shirt. so here it is.

Attachments

• NCM_0039.JPG
    NCM_0039.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 1,981
I happened to mention the salesman name in the E-mail to Vortex and that salesman didn't answer or return my calls on his extension so I have a feeling he got reamed for the comments he made by not trying to get me what I wanted.

My daughter had a Vortex Diamondback on her 243 for a couple years and it was a good scope for the price. I sold the rifle and scope as a package when I stepped her up to a 260. I also currently own a pair of vortex binos and so does my daughter and we are both very pleased with the vortex optics. They are clear and crisp and I've never had any problems what so ever with vortex. When I purchased the two sets of binos they also sent us a couple nice vortex hats. :)

Back