Want to upgrade my chronograph

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
I have used my Oehler 35P chronograph for 25 years, I want to retire it and upgrade to a new chronograph. Budget is not a problem for me, I'm looking for one in the $500 and up range.
Which chronographs have worked very well for you, any pro or cons?

I hear LabRadar is great, but does it have battery life issues?
I don't want to attach anything to the barrels like the MagnetoSpeed, it may cause change in POI. I have seen one that my buddy uses, and its cool.

rjrnzmVl.jpg

I use a labradar , with the external battery pack . the only problem I've had is my rifles with brakes shook the labradar , causing missed readings . on my big boomers I put the labradar back over the OBJ bell on the scope and run the labradar at 18" offset . on rifles without a brake I place it over the muzzle . I think labradar now sells a high mount for shooting prone . I used a aluminum sawhorse with a ballhead . I was just talking to another guy that tried using a regular tripod with the labradar under the muzzle , while shooting from a bench . he said it worked perfect that day . I was using a cement block to shield the labradar unit from the brake blast . a piece of block flew back and chipped the front lens on my scope .

P6210897.JPG

I use a labradar , with the external battery pack . the only problem I've had is my rifles with brakes shook the labradar , causing missed readings . on my big boomers I put the labradar back over the OBJ bell on the scope and run the labradar at 18" offset . on rifles without a brake I place it over the muzzle . I think labradar now sells a high mount for shooting prone . I used a aluminum sawhorse with a ballhead . I was just talking to another guy that tried using a regular tripod with the labradar under the muzzle , while shooting from a bench . he said it worked perfect that day . I was using a cement block to shield the labradar unit from the brake blast . a piece of block flew back and chipped the front lens on my scope .

View attachment 19642
Nice setup!

The LabRadar ext battery has plenty of capacity. I normally shoot for about 3hrs. I'd get 3-4 sessions on a charge without issue. Recently I added a Y adaptor to the output side of the battery and run my barrel cooling device and the LabRadar simultaneously. Running both the battery is still good for 2 shooting sessions.

It may be worth mentioning that some shooters have (reportedly) damaged their LabRadar units by using cheap aftermarket batteries that they bought on Amazon. Apparently, there can be an issue with the voltage or other parameters that I'm not familiar with. Other aftermarket batteries seem to have served their users well.

Another ancillary item that really works well for the LabRadar are USB magnetic charging cables that are available on Amazon. Not having to repeatedly plug that tiny cable into the LabRadar battery port is a big plus. Sooner or later, that port is likly to fail under regular use without the magnetic cables. IMO anyway.

Last edited:
Labradar, external battery pack, JLK external trigger with magnetic mount.
I also purchased a "sight" that mounts via the top screw of the Labradar to use instead of the tiny notch in the top of the unit.
You can use the tabletop base or a tripod to hold the Labradar. Either works, but your decision may be based on what you prefer.

Wow, seems all votes are for the LabRadar. I'll look into the LabRadar and see who would have good prices on them. Thanks guys.
I still have my Shooting Chrony Beta Master with all the accessories in case I ever need it, but sold my Magnetospeed.
FYI, I use the iphone app exclusively to arm and trigger the LR.

The LabRadar ext battery has plenty of capacity. I normally shoot for about 3hrs. I'd get 3-4 sessions on a charge without issue. Recently I added a Y adaptor to the output side of the battery and run my barrel cooling device and the LabRadar simultaneously. Running both the battery is still good for 2 shooting sessions.

It may be worth mentioning that some shooters have (reportedly) damaged their LabRadar units by using cheap aftermarket batteries that they bought on Amazon. Apparently, there can be an issue with the voltage or other parameters that I'm not familiar with. Other aftermarket batteries seem to have served their users well.

Another ancillary item that really works well for the LabRadar are USB magnetic charging cables that are available on Amazon. Not having to repeatedly plug that tiny cable into the LabRadar battery port is a big plus. Sooner or later, that port is likly to fail under regular use without the magnetic cables. IMO anyway.

I'm glad someone mentioned the mini usb plug being fragile . I sent my labradar back for a new plug . the new one isn't as nice of a fit as the original . I try to be careful of things like this , and I still had a problem with it getting loose . would you have a link to this magnetic cable or plug ? I'd like to get it .
thanks Jim

I'm glad someone mentioned the mini usb plug being fragile . I sent my labradar back for a new plug . the new one isn't as nice of a fit as the original . I try to be careful of things like this , and I still had a problem with it getting loose . would you have a link to this magnetic cable or plug ? I'd like to get it .
thanks Jim

Unfortunately, I can't seem to copy a link without it including all of my personal Amazon account info.

Go to Amazon and put "USB Magnetic Cables" in the search. There are MANY sets with varying numbers and lengths of cables that will work. I use a set to charge my LabRadar, barrel cooler, Iphone and other equipment. I think that a swivel head is important so that the cable lays at an angle that reduces pull on the small magnetic head. Shorter cables are good for the bench. Longer cables may be good for home use.

Last edited:
Another vote for the Labrador.
I currently have an Ohler P35.

JD338
My Oehler is still working great and although I'm tempted to purchase the Labradar I'm very satisfied at this point with the Oehler. It takes just a little more to set up but accuracy is on the mark.

My Oehler is still working great and although I'm tempted to purchase the Labradar I'm very satisfied at this point with the Oehler. It takes just a little more to set up but accuracy is on the mark.
Though understand the great things and ease of LabRadar, I am with you, my CED M2 still works. I am in no rush to spend money now. When it goes out, then I will decide.

Back