Washington bear hunt, tag filled

Thanks all. It was indeed a short, intense hunt. Very steep, loose country. The hike out, with a bear in our packs, was rough. And we were brilliant enough to do it twice in one day! Morning hunt and afternoon/evening hunt... My legs are still a bit angry with me about that... :mrgreen:

WT - bear weight is kind of a guess - but I'd estimate around 275 pounds. Certainly smaller than the last couple of bears, but not a lot smaller. We skin them, and put the meat in our packs before starting the climb back up the ridge, so I've never taken a whole bear out of there.

My biggest question about the hunt came afterwards, looking at the photos... Who's that fellow with the gray hair? Why's he with my bear? Dang... My buddies were each about 20 years younger. Youngsters... :grin:

Guy

Guy Miner":2e0mznlh said:
salmonchaser":2e0mznlh said:
Well done Guy, but you forgot the GPS coordinates:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks!

Oh, it was on Notellum Ridge.... :grin:

Guy
I know that place, Notellum creek is outstanding for rainbows too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good job Guy, I am so glad you were able to anchor a bear :wink:. The 06 sure did the job for you (y). Thank you for the post & photos!!
PS. Good start to your hunting season.

Blessings,
Dan

Nice bear Guy, great way to break in the new 30-06. Nosler did well in designing the Ballistic Tip.........

russ808":13amyxb6 said:
Good going. Fine bear. Taste ?
Russ

Should be good. The meat was cooled down quickly, and was very clean and pleasant to smell. I'm having it all made into breakfast sausage.

Hide will be tanned. I don't need another bear rug around the place, but a tanned hide is easy to hang on a peg or toss over the back of a chair or couch. Bleach the skull of course.

Guy

I've always enjoyed bear sausage (and brats, and jerky, and...). As long as the bruin hasn't been feeding on garbage, winter kill or a salmon stream and the meat is properly handled, it is one of the excellent game meats that should never be ignored.

Very pretty bear, Guy, and all the sweeter that it was knocked over by the ol' war horse. Thanks for the performance review of the bullet as well.

Congrats Guy, and well done. Good thing that you could show the youngsters how its done. Incidentally don't worry about the change of hair color, if you still have it, its all good. Trust me I know. CL

Back