Way back small game

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
Been thinking a lot lately about squirrel hunting again. I used to love it and got away from it for years. Been reminiscing about growing up and hunting squirrels
With Dad and Uncles in Pocahontas Co, Wv and that just drives the urge more. This is my first trip back in 1980 and the first 2 squirrels I killed. That one Fox squirrel was a giant..that’s dad on the background. I remember dad sneaking me close enough to it for my little .410 to be in range, the. It ran behind the tree and he told me get ready and walked behind the tree and it ran back to my side and I sent the #4 shot on its way. Knocked it out, but dad had to grab it by the tail and smack it’s head against a tree to finish it. yes, that’s ‘79 280zx that everyone notices first…..

Attachments

• 6A92AF17-E044-433F-A642-4C0165CE7820.jpeg
    6A92AF17-E044-433F-A642-4C0165CE7820.jpeg
    709.9 KB · Views: 23
The squirrels down there are giants compared to what we have here. I hunted squirrels in Kansas and brought more than a few home, along with cotton tails. I'm not certain I'd be keen on trying any of the tree rats here in the far north. Then, again, I haven't been starved in recent days.:unsure:

Good memories for me too! Still have my Herters model 99 Squirrel call. Worked well. Many's the hour I spent in pursuit of big Fox squirrels as a youngster. My wife says that the Gray rats who steal my tomatoes here in the big city are taking their revenge, 45 years later. Thanks for sharing. CL

What do they feed those squirrels down there? Up here they’re barely the length of their tails.
What do they feed those squirrels down there? Up here they’re barely the length of their tails.
The greys and reds here are smaller, but them dang fox squirrels get big. Usually not the size of that one, but big...These two were getting fat making their home near a small stand of 3-4 black walnut trees.

Truth to be told.... we had to feed a herd of farm cats.... We had perfectly good beef standing in the pasture and pheasants in the ditches. No need to eat tree rats no matter how big the corn fed ones got! They were fun to hunt though. CL

Love the stories of what you're able to do over there.
Small game hunting hardly exists here any more and squirrels are no legal game at all.
The few hares we have we let go.
Modern agriculture did it's thing :-(
Too bad- not much better here some times. Cant remember the last time I saw a Jack Rabbit...... No fence lines and farming the road ditches is hard on the wild life. CL

I still hunt them at times, and not just for something to do or for entertainment. They get cleaned and put in the freezer. Can't speak for sq's in other geographical locations like the pine bark sq's that Dr Mike referenced, but the ones here, like other wild game, if prepared and cooked properly they make for excellent eating.

Same can be said of cottontail rabbits. I don't have beagles anymore, but there's enough rabbits around still that come late season in the winter, I at times will grab a shotgun and go stomp some brush piles to jump shoot some rabbits.

Wouldn't want to live off of either, but I also wouldn't want to be deprived of the resource when I get hungry for some.

Back