whar powder to settle on in my 25-06?

coyotetrapper

Beginner
Feb 9, 2007
I have shot both rl-22 and IMR 4350 .The rl-22 at 52.5 gr gives me 2970 fps and a group under 1" and IMR 4350 at 48 grains gives me a group at 3/4" at very close FPS. shooting 115 gr Nosler Bal Tips.

Do I go with less pressure with the rl-22 and more powder or less powder and slightly higher pressure according to the charts?

What powder of the 2 has less temp issues? I will shott this from 30 degrees to 75+ on coyotes? Thanks CT

I like to use IMR 4350 in my 25 06 if your just going to shoot coyotes 100 gr bts and 52 grs of IMR 4350 groups of .5 to .75 are the norm or 85 gr bts and 57 grs of RL 19 shoots just as good. I'm going to try retumbo with 115 gr bts this weekend that might be the way to go.

IMR4350 has been a great powder for many years. If you are happy with the performance you currently have, stay with it as it would be more stalel than RL22.

JD338

Just happens I was doing some testing yesterday with my 25-06 and the 110 AccuBond. I got good results with Retumbo, the best so far with this bullet.

Nosler data lists 59 gr as max. I shot 57 through my chrony and got a 2949 fps average for 5 shots and a .918" group. I started getting a "low battery" error message while shooting 57.5 gr, so got no chrony data but shot another group in the .9s. I quit then and will finish testing today, with a new battery.

According to Quickload the 57 gr charge is producing only around 40,000 lbs of pressure, well below recommended max. So Retumbo is giving me a low pressure, accurate load that should be clocking around 3000 fps while staying a grain below max, from a 24" barrel.

bacova

Rutumbo looks promising! 8)
Let us know you test results.
What Chronograph are you using?

JD338

I have only loaded for 1 25-06,but if I remember correctly it really liked IMR-4831 over all the other powders we tried.That was in the days before the AccuBond came out,so it was just with a 115gr B-Tip. Very accurate round however.They make the perfect "dual-purpose" caliber,better then the .243 in my opinion.

Tim

I just want 1 bullet mainly for coyotes and my yearly antelope and deer hunts and a mountain lion or 2 and if I get an elk tag I will go to 115 partitions and limit shots to the 100 yrd mark. Holes mean nothing on the coyotes as I don't need to worry about fur just dead coyotes, my 22-250 is setup for dead coyotes.

I like the 115 and may use some 110 accubonds both perform well with 4350 IMR powder. Point of impact shouldn't be much different according to computer models.

My job didn't allow me to shoot today, probably be first of the week now. I'll post the rest of my Retumbo data when I'm done.

My chrony is nothing fancy but it works good enough for my requirements. It's a Shooting Chrony Alpha Master. I don't own Quickload either, although I will in the near future. The pressure info was passed on to me by an acquaintance who does own it.

I've been testing several different bullets and powders. As some have mentioned in this thread, I've been having good luck with both R-22 and H-4831sc, but the Retumbo has produced the best results so far with the 110 Accu. The R-22 has worked best behind the 100 gr TSX and the H-4831sc behind the Sierra 100 gr SBT, the 100 gr Nosler BT and the 85 gr Nosler BT. I've gotten sub-moa with all of the above and in some cases .5 moa. :)

For the 25-06 IMR 4831 is a pretty darned good powder for all bullet weights. It just seems to work.

However, for the "best" performance with 115 or 120 grain bullets I have found IMR 7828 to be just the ticket. I load IMR 7828 behind the 115 Ballistic Tip using the Fed 215M primer. I get around 3150 fps and great groups. It is deadly on marmots, coyotes, antelope, and wild hogs. :)

I have been shooting and loading for the 25-06 with the 110gr. AccuBond alot lately. So far RL22 is the winner. 200yd. groups range from 0.9-1.2" depending on weather conditions. Chronograph readings are averaging 3070 fps. I feel like I could push this a little but don't see a need. My older 25-06 shoots about the same only it likes IMR-4831. My two rifles are a old ruger M77 I got about 20 years ago when I was 15, my new one is a shilen barrelled mauser. Both loads are using Rem. cases and Fed. 210M primers.

Back