What 4 cartridges for all of North America?

JD,

That is indeed a beautiful back yard. As for the pests, I guess there is always a snake in Eden.

That reminds me of a story of my dad going to my hillbilly uncle's (his brother) house built on stilts one time. You had two choices, go up through the ground level into the kitchen or go around back as it was built on the side of a hill, and in through the sliding glass window to the kitchen. While going to the sliding door, he sees a black pipe sticking out of the bathroom window. My dad is standing there wondering why in the world theres a pipe sticking out the window. Next he hears my Uncle call out "Did I get him?" My uncle had just shot at a turkey in the yard aparently soon before my dad got there but wasn't ready to go looking for it.

The same uncle one year cut off a pine limb for the family christmas tree. I won't tell you what state he's in but it's surrounded by New York, Lake Erie, and Maryland.

17 HMR or 22 lr

223 or 22-250

300 mag of some sort

that's all

I'd have to go with:

.17 HMR squirrels and such

.243 varmints, deer, antelope

300 H&H Mag everything from antelope on up depending on load

.338 RUM elk, moose, grizzly

I'd have to say:

.22-250 Remington
.257 Weatherby Magnum
.30-06 Springfield
.338 Winchester Magnum

Big brother used to shoot birds while sitting on the pot. He would open the bathroom door into the hall & the door to the back yd. was across the hall, which he would open, (this was before they had kids as he is very civilized). Anyway, a Blue Jay landed on the edge of the porch. He drew down on it with a beautiflul Wea. auto .22 (remember those). When he fired, he saw something shiny go through the air, it was part of his doorknob.
Moral of the story: When shooting that dang close, you need to remember the distance the scope is over the bore, instead of just looking at the crosshair. Oh & also, don't do this while the Wife is home, she saw no humor in it for some reason.
Naw, I don't know anything about Rednecks & don't pay any attention to my address, doesn't mean jack!! :grin:

Happy New Year!!

22 lr Ruger 10/22

22 Hornet H/R

270 Winchester Rem 700

30 - 06 Ackley Improved Rem 700

12 ga Rem 870

3. .280 Remington or 30-06 for antelope on up to Alaska moose. Guess I would have to have them both because I cannot get rid of either!

As I said in an earlier post on a different topic, I regretfully admitted to selling my .280 MTN Rfle at a time when I needed some cash, and I wanted to get it in a Ruger M77 or Winchester M70 with the controlled round feed. I have not replaced that .280 yet, and I regret it to this day. It was a great rifle, and SOMEDAY I HOPE to have another .280 in my closet. This is on my to do list!! It is just too good to now own one! :oops: :cry:

6mm Remington":176jbyta said:
3. .280 Remington or 30-06 for antelope on up to Alaska moose. Guess I would have to have them both because I cannot get rid of either!

I HOPE to have another .280 in my closet. This is on my to do list!! It is just too good to now own one! :oops: :cry:

+1
The 280 Remington is an excellent cartridge, even better when handloaded to its real potential!

JD338

Kinda neat how all tend to go along same lines of thinking, not too many deviations.

My vote would would not be all that different, but I am having a hard time so I'll leave it up to the imagination and leave my options open... :) But it would include my 204 & my 257 bob fer sure!!!!!

Rod

Mine would go something like this, for the critters I hunt in South Dakota anyway.

.22 LR (Currently have two, a Custom Ruger 10/22 Tactical and a Custom Ruger 77/22 Bull Barrel)

.223 Remington / 5.56mm (Currently have two, a 16" Bushmaster M4 ORC and a 20" DPMS Panther Bull 20)

.243 Winchester (just sold one and haven't replaced it yet but am working on it) for critters from Coyotes up to Whitetails and Pronghorns.

.308 Winchester (hopefully will be picking one up in the next couple of months) This one will replace the .30-06 T/C Encore I just traded off. I have hunted with a .30-06 for so many years I just want to try something different.

12ga Remington Model 1100 Synthetic. Had the barrel shortened to 21 1/2" and installed a Fiber Optic Front Bead (Green). Also added a Limb Saver Recoil Pad. Shot my first Pheasant with this 1100 on New Years Day.

Larry

I would go with

22 Magnum

22-250

270WSM

35 Whelen

11-87 Remington 12 gauge

Scotty

Well JD.

If we're gonna show off back yards......
Here is a few pictures of mine.... and my neighboors' houses. In 10 minutes I am in downtown Cheyenne.

How do you like them apples? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SV100440.jpg

SV100434.jpg

SV100423.jpg

Pretty much. All the major stores on Del range the mall etc.... 8)

Ok, Cause my "yard" is a town house lot, my list starts here:
.177 Crossman 760 Pumpmaster and a 4x weaver :)
(A matching pistol might give me more opportunities....might get me arrested too... :shock: )
20 ga with rock salt (for the 2 legged vermin) :twisted:
!2 ga Slug gun (cause Im in exile here in MN) :roll:
.22 cause its fun and cheap. :)
.22 mag cause its fun and cheap- further away 8)
250-3000 Savage- cause it can take anything from vermin to deer. 8)
Savage 7mm-08 should cover the rest. :lol:

OOPS, no I cant do it....I cant get down to four....

Back