What are the drawbacks involved with seating a long bullet

Bigwheels

Beginner
Sep 17, 2006
I'm wondering what potential problems,if any,there are with seating a long bullet into the case,& ending up with 1/4" of bullet protruding into the case neck.Such as whith my 300 WM & seating a 220gr. Sierra Match to SAMMI COAL.It shoots them well that way,as long as they're straight.

The only problem I see is seating the bullet into/onto the taper, which will reduce the case's ability to hold the bullet during recoil

If I am understanding you right, you are seating a long bullet fairly shallow into the case neck. I guess most common practice is that perhaps target shooters might seat shallow, sometimes to only 1/2 depth of the neck depth. But most people in hunting situations seat deeper. I would wonder if you could keep the bullet straight in the neck with recoil, loading and unloading etc... in hunting situations with a shallow seating depth.

Long

I guess I mis worded my question.When I seat a 220gr. bullet into the case,there is a quarter of an inch of bullet BELOW the neck.Inside the case.These Sierra Match bullets are over an inch long.The Boat tail is about even with the bottom of the taper. :shock:

The bullet has to be seated to clear the lands and fit the magazine box, if you have one. You will have a little less powder space and may get involved with compressed loads with certain loads neither of which is a real problem. I have found that the more bullet in the neck seems to give better runout. If you are working up loads, as you should be, you will know if you start getting too much pressure.Rick.

You don't have to fit the cartrige in to the magazine if a single shot is ok.
All you need to worry about is the bullet not contacting the lands and powder compression.
If a quick follow up shot might be needed then load to fit the magazine.

You'd probably wanna make sure the ogive of the bullet isn't inside the neck.
Smitty of the North

You'll be fine with 1/4" of the bullet seated, thats more then enough.. As long as the bullet is not in the lands, you'll be fine. If you can load to the lands with the magazine length, thats always a bonus more then anything...

I read your question as saying that the base of your bullet is 1/4" below the bottom of the case neck when loaded. If that is what you are saying? There should be no problem, provided you are not trying to seat the bullet on a compreesed powder charge. Compressed meaning that powder is up in the neck before seating the bullet. If your powder charge is level with the bottom of the shoulder or up in the shoulder a little. I would say load away and have fun shooting.

Back