What Brand Bullets Are These ?

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
I bought a 100 MidWay seconds 225gr .338 bullets thinking they were Hornady from the on sight picture but when they arrived today they look like Speer Mag Tips or Win Power Points :?
Anyone know what brand they are so I can safely load them.

Attachments

• KIMG0299 (2).jpg
    KIMG0299 (2).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,867
  • KIMG0302.jpg
    KIMG0302.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,867
Win Power Points would have a number of small marks in the gilding metal coming down from the tips a short distance for expansion petals.

I left a message on the page they are listed on in the comments box. When looking at a picture of the Hornady Spire point on another page they look very similar.

They are not Spire point, the ogive is wrong. Speer mag-tip has a more flattened tip. Grand slam has a different alloy in the jacket, appears more silvery than the hot-cor, but the profile and metplat are very similar. My guess is Remington Core Lokt. They have this semi-protected point profile, and the less polished jacket than other brands. Just checked their site, they do offer this weight of bullet in .338 loaded ammo, but not as a component bullet.

+1 on Core Lokt ... For same reasons about ogive not looking Hornady ish and tip not flat like Speers... Let us know when the puzzle is solved!

They look like Hornady to me. I have a box of Hornady .358 cal 250 gr that are the spittin' image
Of what you have there.

JD338

I bought them for practice but would really like to know what brand so I can load them safely.

They are Hornady 225 RP (recoil proof), the newer Hornady Interlocks.. I have a box of them on the shelf at home. They changed the tip a couple of years back but it is mostly the same bullet.

I'd probably bet a dollar on it.. :wink:

SJB358":1walyjex said:
They are Hornady 225 RP (recoil proof), the newer Hornady Interlocks.. I have a box of them on the shelf at home. They changed the tip a couple of years back but it is mostly the same bullet.

I'd probably bet a dollar on it.. :wink:

Yep, Hornady changed a few of their designs, the 250 gr 358 and 270 gr 375 also were changed to the protected point design. There may be others that were changed as well.

Thanks for the responses. I talked to a tech at Midway whose name was Rebecca and she could only tell me they could be anything from Hornady to Speer so I sent Larry Potterfield an email asking that they properly label or put a note of manufacture in the boxes in the future. I'll pick up a box to be sure they are Hornady's but Scotty seems pretty sure they are.
If anyone has some Hornady's that look like these will they post a picture for comparison since Hornady 's web site only has a funky picture.

To be totally honest, being a plain old cup and core 225 grain bullet you aren't likely to get into any sort of trouble loading them with 338 Win data TD. You could easily use Sierra data for the Hornady in this case or Nosler 225 data. I know some may go a little crazy, but if your loads are safe with one, they won't get you into trouble with another.

SJB358":3op5tsio said:
To be totally honest, being a plain old cup and core 225 grain bullet you aren't likely to get into any sort of trouble loading them with 338 Win data TD. You could easily use Sierra data for the Hornady in this case or Nosler 225 data. I know some may go a little crazy, but if your loads are safe with one, they won't get you into trouble with another.

Agreed.... (y)

SJB358":3ta97uc4 said:

I agree too . these are not something special . look at data for flat base & soft point and you'll be fine .

I think the Hornady voters win the chicken dinner.... I just looked at my 9th Edition Hornady manual and it doesn't really show a actual picture but the rendition is pretty clear.... a very tight lead tip is exposed very little. They call it the 225 sp-rp.
And Hornady is certainly well known for using that kind of a channel to move their blems.

Back