What Caliber for 500-600yds

Well if he is keeping the 7RM, I would go with the 338 WM. Little lightning, and thunder?

Nothing wrong with the 300RUM with a VX3 4.5-14X56LR :grin:

09153.jpg

Looks good Bryan! Now, go slay a doe with the little man so we can see how that big 300 works! Scotty

The 338 Win with 250 gr bullets would be just as good as a 338 Lapua if you have the range finding dialed in and it will penetrate with energy to spare. It just won't shoot as flat. Mr VanZwoll is an excellent competition shooter and can probably do the job with a 6.5 but he's been extolling the virtues of getting up close as the primary concern and he spent an entire season hunting with a 30-30 and various open sight rifles to prove they would do the job. Of course he hunts more times every season than we do in a lifetime and has a lot more leeway in calling his shots. I vote for 30 caliber on up for 600 yard shots on large animals like elk and mule deer.

Greg, I couldn't agree more with what you just said. Just about any good cartridge, shooting a decent bullet will do when you have the time to wait for a shot and can place it perfect under desirable conditions. Where as, the 300's and bigger really allow you to have a little flexibility and the 338 and 250's allow you some real horsepower to really put the hammer down on any elk, anywhere! Scotty

+1 to what Greg said. There is no replacement for displacement. :wink:

JD338

Frontal area and mass are insurance policies which add certainty to our desire for game to be taken cleanly. Slow and fat bullets seem to work uncommonly well on game.

I killed three deers at 600 yards plus with my 280, 300 Win Mag, and last week with my 6.5. All are capable of dropping an elk at that distance also. But if I have to choose between the three, I'll opt for the 300 just for the fact that I can sling a heavier bullet with wider frontal area plus an added bonus of extra K- energy at my disposal.

Back