What cartridge do you think deserves more love?

I would say there are several but the two that to me would actually appeal to the modern marketplace and yet are traditionally under appreciated are the .220 Swift and .284 Winchester.

The .220 Swift is still a speed demon with light-mid weight .224’s but with a faster 10 or 12 twist it could handle the heavier bullets making it an even better deer and antelope cartridge. I think it deserves reintroduction in the M70 and would be quite popular if given a real chance.

The .284 is another no-brainer. The success of cartridges like it are convincing evidence. Short action cartridges are in right now and if this was reintroduced with a 1-8” twist, it would offer the same qualities enjoyed by the 6.5’s but with heavier bullets.

In conclusion there are probably a dozen other cartridges near and dear to me that I would love to see get some respect.
Among them are the .22 Hornet, .25-35 and .250-3000, the .30-40 Krag and .32-20 to name a few.

Faults with older per caliber cartridges is that twist rate due to longer and heavier bullets left them in the dark! All though my factory wm can stabilize Sierra 140Sbt and their mk's with the old 9 twist. If the newer models had at least an 8 it would be a game changer! Not being a 7mil fan I would do a 284win in an AR with a 7-08 following behind. Think about the 22-250's with an 8 twist overtaking the 22creed or the 243win with an 8 also butt whipping the 6creed. Most of my cartridge decisions are based on what'll fit into an AR platform. Now if I could get lego's for long action (magnum or non) I'd build more of them. I should be getting my AR barrel in 6.5prc by or before 7/5/23? Seems kind of defeating for the cartridge, but using bullets I know will chamber at 2.830ish (possibly a little longer at 2.845 depending on mags) and not be seated deep my limits with most bullets are up to 135grs ( some exceptions, ppu 139fmj, lapua 144fmj). APF does magnums right by single feeding in their AR's and offer 22-250 the same way. All though I'd rather not use belted ammo in an AR style I'd change cartridges for purpose.

I would say there are several but the two that to me would actually appeal to the modern marketplace and yet are traditionally under appreciated are the .220 Swift and .284 Winchester.

The .220 Swift is still a speed demon with light-mid weight .224’s but with a faster 10 or 12 twist it could handle the heavier bullets making it an even better deer and antelope cartridge. I think it deserves reintroduction in the M70 and would be quite popular if given a real chance.

The .284 is another no-brainer. The success of cartridges like it are convincing evidence. Short action cartridges are in right now and if this was reintroduced with a 1-8” twist, it would offer the same qualities enjoyed by the 6.5’s but with heavier bullets.

In conclusion there are probably a dozen other cartridges near and dear to me that I would love to see get some respect.
Among them are the .22 Hornet, .25-35 and .250-3000, the .30-40 Krag and .32-20 to name a few.
Can i ask why on the 32-20?

200ish foot pound of energy is extremely low

Can i ask why on the 32-20?

200ish foot pound of energy is extremely low
The .32-20 is a fun little cartridge, and the list which I placed it upon was simply of cartridges I like but aren’t very popular.

Energy isn’t everything, look at the .22 LR. Its the most popular cartridge in existence and has even less energy than a .32-20!

Was talking to my son about a good short range bolt gun for heavy timber. We were both pondering the merits of a short barrelled 338 Federal.
Or a lever action in:
338 Marlin Express, 356 Win or 358 Win.
Any of these 4 cartridges would work great on red stag, sika, rusa or sambar!
(Not to mention black bear, moose, and elk.)

The .32-20 is a fun little cartridge, and the list which I placed it upon was simply of cartridges I like but aren’t very popular.

Energy isn’t everything, look at the .22 LR. Its the most popular cartridge in existence and has even less energy than a .32-20!
I was just curious...

And yes it has more energy than a .22 but...
The .22 has it's place, no?
Small game. Pests. Cheap plinking.

That brings me to my point of the 32-20

If there ever was a round that falls into no man's land it would be that one.
I know it's killed game moons ago but I'd never confidently use it for game. Not enough energy IMO for deer...
Too much diameter for small game.

We all like different things and that's wonderful but I've always wondered if there was ever a cartridge that really falls into the "no man's land" category it would have to be that one.

I was just wondering if you had a reason you liked it to change my thinking about that round.

I was just curious...

And yes it has more energy than a .22 but...
The .22 has it's place, no?
Small game. Pests. Cheap plinking.

That brings me to my point of the 32-20

If there ever was a round that falls into no man's land it would be that one.
I know it's killed game moons ago but I'd never confidently use it for game. Not enough energy IMO for deer...
Too much diameter for small game.

We all like different things and that's wonderful but I've always wondered if there was ever a cartridge that really falls into the "no man's land" category it would have to be that one.

I was just wondering if you had a reason you liked it to change my thinking about that round.
don't forget the thread title as it's just what a person thinks and it doesn't mater what the next person does.

22-250 would be a huge success with a 1:8 twist.
284 Win was ahead of it's time. Efficient case design and brass is somewhat difficult to find.
308 Win. Kind of plain vanilla but accurate and fun to shoot. I'm digging mine.
32 Win Spl. Twin to the 30-30 which still is a popular round for WT deer hunting.

JD338

Another cartridge Remington dropped the ball with was the .35 Whelen. Like the .280 Rem. they unerloaded it to be good in their pump and semi-auto rifles. They also stated there were weak Springfields that had been converted to the .5. The only weak older gun I ever saw for sale was an 1895 Winchester (original) and it was so loose it made more noise than a baby's rattle. That gun had literally been beaten to death. It looked good too. It would have been a pricy wall hanger so I turned it down. Besides, I have an 1895 Browning clone on 30-06 and it kicks hard enough as an 06. Also you'd just about have to go with a scout type scope or some kind of side mount if you wanted to scope it. I may or may not put a receiver sight on it and use it for my cast bullet shooting. Run it alongside the Browning B78 30-06 that I use for cast bullet shooting. These days I just about have to do it at 50 yards. The target stand and stand are too heavy for me to lug on foot and there's a new RO that has fits if I drive out in my truck. Nobody likes him and the club won't fire him. Grrrr!
Paul B.

Was talking to my son about a good short range bolt gun for heavy timber. We were both pondering the merits of a short barrelled 338 Federal.
I've heard the issue with the .338 Federal is most of the projectiles are harder because they are made for the .338 Win Mag or bigger so the bullets tend not to expand well in the slower .338 Federal. Of course if you are hunting in woods your shots should be well under 100 yards so expansion should be good enough.

Oh Goodness- I forgot one..... the 256 Newton. So far ahead of its time. Proof positive that nothing really new is really invented in firearms calibres. Look THAT one up. :D CL

Back