What do you do when you get a new powder?

ReloadKy

Handloader
May 13, 2020
I have came across some R16 and some R17. I have several different rifles that I want to try them in. That got me thinking... what is the best way to begin testing a new powder in a rifle and with a bullet and seating depth that is already proven for you? I like to try and save components and be stingy with my load testing. What do you fellers do when trying to learn a new powder?

I have a way that I use based on having access to a chronograph and QuickLOAD.

First, I measure such things as
  1. Base to Ogive (and corresponding C.O.A.L.) to reach the lands for the bullets I am going to use
  2. Maximum magazine length for cartridge
  3. Bullet length
  4. Overflow case capacity, if using previously fired brass in the rifle being used.
Then I load a few rounds with a "starting load" using an appropriate bullet jump for the type of bullet I am using. Say,
  1. 0.030" for a cup and core bullet
  2. 0.100" for bonded or monolith bullet
  3. or, at maximum magazine length if less than the above
I also use an appropriate type of primer.

I fire the test rounds and record their velocities and adjust the scope to get on paper.

Next, I input into QuickLOAD all the pertinent information such as:
  1. Cartridge COAL (recorded when measuring Base to Ogive length)
  2. Actual bullet length
  3. Bullet type and weight
  4. Overflow water capacity (if not previously known)
  5. Powder charge
I compare the calculated velocities to the actual velocities I measured. Then I adjust the Ba (burn rate) factor in QuickLOAD so that the calculated velocity matches the measured velocity. I record the Ba factor and the max. pressure with the actual velocity. Also record the amount of case fill.

Then using that Ba factor, I estimate the charge that QuickLOAD predicts is needed to reach a certain desired velocity or the amount of fill in the case. Your desired velocity may be based on:
  1. A desired barrel time to match a theoretical accuracy node
  2. Maximum allowed pressure and velocity
  3. A desired velocity to match bullet expansion parameters
You may want to keep the case fill amount between certain limits such as above 90% and below 5% compressed.

I also compare my results and QuickLOAD's predictions with published load data. Regardless of QuickLOAD's predictions, I almost never exceed published load data. That can a little difficult since it seems that my exact combinations of brass, bullets, powder, and C.O.A.L. are not always in the published load data.

I have found that QuickLOAD'S velocity vs charge predictions to be linear whereas they are not linear in real life. I have generally found that as I increase charge weights the Ba factor also increases. So, I never jump up to maximum charge after the first round. I go about half-way from where I start to where I want to be. And then repeat above process to get into the velocity range I desire.

Once I have established the Ba factor (or range of Ba factors) for the velocity range I am looking for I then work on other variables such as seating depths and fine tune the charge weights (via ladder tests).

If you don't have QuickLOAD, you can record all the above information and ask for help running the QuIckLOAD predictions from other forum members.

I am sure there are a thousand other ways and variations of the above and I may have forgotten something.

Good luck with your efforts. I have had some good results with Reloder 16 in the 300 WSM. H-4350 seemed to work better in the 30-06's that I have worked on.

What I have always done, and it has worked for me very well. I take an average of max loads and load six different powder charges into 3 shot groups of 2-1/2gr below the projected max up to max. I usually find one charge that gives the best accuracy and load 20 rounds of that charge to ensure it is a good load. I usually know the seating depth that works best in my rifles for the bullet being used.

IF you have a known good load with a particular bullet and powder that is not tickling the dragons tail as far as pressure, and the only thing you're gonna be changing is powder, I keep it very simple. No need to make it a science project in my experience to quickly get similar and safe results.

This is assuming the new powder you're going to be using is of similar burn rate.

My load for 180 gr bullets in a 30-06 is between 56-56.5 of IMR 4350. Usually just go with 56.2. I have a can of RL16. Hodgdon's 2019 burn rate chart shows it sitting right between IMR 4350 and H-4350. If I remember correctly I loaded up 1 round at 55 grains and 1 round at 55.5 to verify no pressure issues, then had 3 loaded at 56 grains. It shot very well......just as good as the IMR 4350 load of 56.2, and slightly better speed in that rifle. No surprise really.....similar burn rate and is known to be a quality powder.

My load in my new to me 788 in a 308 carbine is 46 grains of Varget with a 150 Hornady Interlock. If I didn't have Varget I'd take that same bullet and seating depth and probably load 3 at 45 grains, 3 at 45.5, and 3 at 46 with IMR 4064. It is slightly faster burn rate, but top load is 47.7 grains. 45 grains would be middle of the road and with zero pressure issues with 46 grains of Varget, there would be no reason to think there would be any major issues starting at 45 with IMR 4064. My bet is right off the bat I'd be right handy what I was shooting with Varget. Who knows, maybe better.

If I was using H4895 I'd drop 1 grain lower than my 4064 start load, and do the same thing.

I bury a black cat's foot under an oak tree during a full moon and make an offering of tobacco and alcohol to the reloading gods.........In reality, all I do is load up about 15 in .3 to .5 increments (depending on case volume) up to or slightly over book max and record the velocities, watch for pressure, and look for a flat spot close to the upper end without any signs of pressure. This usually gets me at an accurate starting point, and later just small tweaks in charge or COAL, and I get where I want to quickly with minimum waste in components.

I bury a black cat's foot under an oak tree during a full moon and make an offering of tobacco and alcohol to the reloading gods.........In reality, all I do is load up about 15 in .3 to .5 increments (depending on case volume) up to or slightly over book max and record the velocities, watch for pressure, and look for a flat spot close to the upper end without any signs of pressure. This usually gets me at an accurate starting point, and later just small tweaks in charge or COAL, and I get where I want to quickly with minimum waste in components.
You any kin to Bledsoe Darling🤔 Dan.

I must of read the wrong book. I buried my neighbors horse and sat on a rock smoking a peace pipe and drinking firewater, but no buffalo showed up. I'm thinking some of this stuff doesn't work.

I have came across some R16 and some R17. I have several different rifles that I want to try them in. That got me thinking... what is the best way to begin testing a new powder in a rifle and with a bullet and seating depth that is already proven for you? I like to try and save components and be stingy with my load testing. What do you fellers do when trying to learn a new powder?
In my order ...
#1 see printed data of the combo I'm about to use. I want to see documentation of the combo used

#2 If using a modern firearm in good condition I start out in the middle of the charge window. Particularly if it's one I personally used and know well.

#3 seat bullet .010 below SAAMI max COAL

#4 immediately check for pressure signs after first firing

#5 enjoy the new to you powder and bullets

With the last few years that has changed for the worse I've only loaded 1 per charge per weight change. If I were going to use the same cartridge/bullet/primer/case in multiple guns I'd load 1 per gun. If it were just powder change only I'd stay with the same coal and go from there. That's of course if the bullet mfg has listed/updated that powder in their data. If not I would cross check with QL for a medium pressure starting point.

Here I thought wow someone found RL16 and RL-17 until I saw the date on the original post🙁

Hoard it ?

Back