What have you taken Turkey with?

Nothing yet but hopefully by next spring at the latest. I noticed in the regulations that shotguns and rimfires are legal here. With a 22 lr I would assume a good hollow point would be best, are you limited to head shots or can you take one out with a lung shot?

Taken one years ago. The ranch only allowed .223. I don’t eat turkey, so , that was the first and last one

Nothing yet but hopefully by next spring at the latest. I noticed in the regulations that shotguns and rimfires are legal here. With a 22 lr I would assume a good hollow point would be best, are you limited to head shots or can you take one out with a lung shot?22lr

Nothing yet but hopefully by next spring at the latest. I noticed in the regulations that shotguns and rimfires are legal here. With a 22 lr I would assume a good hollow point would be best, are you limited to head shots or can you take one out with a lung shot?
22lr is kind of marginal for turkey in my onion. Have shot 2 using it 1 thru the spine the other a head shot. Have seen them shot thru the lungs and fly off. Place your shot thru the wing butt clipping the spine or head is your best bet. 22mag, Hornet, downloaded 222 or 223 are better. Shotgun under 40 yds best of all. Dan.

I don't particularly care for using rifles and popping them at 100 yards. If someone does, that's fine and good on them, but I get most enjoyment of calling them in close and using a shotgun. To me it's the calling and tricking them eyes, up close that makes turkey hunting exciting.

I don't particularly care for using rifles and popping them at 100 yards. If someone does, that's fine and good on them, but I get most enjoyment of calling them in close and using a shotgun. To me it's the calling and tricking them eyes, up close that makes turkey hunting exciting.
Hear in WI you are only allowed bow/x-bow or shotshell or muzzleloader with shot , a rifle is out.

Hear in WI you are only allowed bow/x-bow or shotshell or muzzleloader with shot , a rifle is out.
It’s gone that direction (no rifles) in many states. I can’t legally use my Seneca squirrel rifle here any more. I think I could use it for turkey if I took a weekend trip to KY.

20 gauge with old Winchester 5’s and lately TSS 7/9’s and 9’s
12 gauge 2 3/4 2x4’s, 4x6’s, 3” Win 5’s and 6’s, 3 1/2 Longbeard 6’s and TSS 9’s.
222 Rem 50 BT

Long live the 20 gauge and a handful of TSS.

I know a guy who took his with his 30-30. Yes it was legal, yes it blew him up pretty bad. Back in our college days, to broke to buy a Shotgun so the 94 did the job. CL

Oh god!
12 ga.
20 ga.
22 LR
22 WMR
17 HM2
17 HMR
5MM rem. mag
20 tac.
6mm PPC
350 rem. mag
50 caliber black powder
22-250
thats what I can remember

in the spring I strictly use a shotgun, gobblers in the fall will drive you insane, then I use a rifle. Yes the 22 is not much for turkeys, a precise shot, broadside on the butt of the wing will anchor a young of the year, a 20# gobbler in the fall is a different beast. pound for pound they are the toughest critter in the woods.

in the spring I strictly use a shotgun, gobblers in the fall will drive you insane, then I use a rifle. Yes the 22 is not much for turkeys, a precise shot, broadside on the butt of the wing will anchor a young of the year, a 20# gobbler in the fall is a different beast. pound for pound they are the toughest critter in the woods.
I don't really hunt them in the fall. Killed a bunch in the fall, but mostly just when they present an opportunity that I can't pass up while hunting deer or bear. I may make a more dedicated effort to it this fall. The one I killed with an X-bow was a fall gobbler, 4 toms came strolling by and I picked what looked to be the biggest.

I don't really hunt them in the fall. Killed a bunch in the fall, but mostly just when they present an opportunity that I can't pass up while hunting deer or bear. I may make a more dedicated effort to it this fall. The one I killed with an X-bow was a fall gobbler, 4 toms came strolling by and I picked what looked to be the biggest.
I dedicate a couple saturdays every fall too hunt turkeys, if nothinng else it gives you an idea of the coyote population. most of the time you call in coyotes, but every once in a while ya get lucky!
last fall the first saturday of fall season
j46kuFj.jpg

the next saturday taken in the same place at 336 yards, If I would have went down into the hollow and called it would have been more coyotes, 7 were killed in that hollow last fall
notice the bullet hole, think my AR-10 6.5 creed is shooting well
yPfHouU.jpg

I'd be careful with the lung shot as anything less than perfect you are going to be chasing the turkey around (as my buddy has found out on a couple of occasions). I hunt with a .22 and wait for head shots. I know it's difficult because turkeys never seem to hold their head still but with patience it will work. My ammunition is CCI standard velocity with a solid. A head shot drops them instantly.

Have taken a couple adult gobblers with a 22 WMR and federal 50 gr ammo, and the 17 HMR and 20 gr hp's, do not trust those 17 gr v-max's at all. unless you own a 5mm rem. mag. they are about as good as it gets with a rimfire.

Back