What is your favorite 300 Wby load with 180's and 200's?

CraigP

Beginner
May 4, 2005
What is your favorite 300 Weatherby Mag handloads with 180gr. and 200gr. bullets? So far I am having luck with the IMR 7828 SSC, shooting 180gr. Partitions. I haven't settled on an actual load yet, but am getting close. Please list the rifle you are using with your loads. Mine is a Winchester 70 XTR with 24" barrel.

Craig

I have tried a lot of stuff in my 300 Wby Mag over the years, but keep coming back to RL 22. My rifle is a Remington 700 Classic with a 24 inch barrel. It just shoots best with RL 22 and most any 180 grain bullet, with H 4831 running a real close second.

IMR 7828 did ok in my rifle, just not as well as the two listed above.

I usually shoot a load that is a little hotter than Nosler lists in their last manual, but I notice they used their own brand of cases, maybe that is the difference. I routinely use Weatherby cases, but when experimenting with Remington brand cases, I found I had to back down on the loads a little.

I killed a great 6X6 bull elk in New Mexico last fall using the 180 grain Partition in this rifle. It just plain works, that's all. I have had good luck on wild hogs here in CA with the 180 Sierra Pro Hunter. That is I did, till they passed the dumb ass no-lead provision around here. I have to admit that I switched to the 168 Barnes TSX over just a little more RL 22 and have shot groups as small as 0.274 inches! I have not shot any game with the Barnes as of yet.

I just pretty much stick with Weatherby cases, Fed 215M primers, RL 22 and 168 to 180 grain bullets. I never could get any of the 200 grain bullets to shoot as well in this rifle.

Weatherby MK-V Accumark 26" barrel.

IMR 7828 - 84 grain Barnes TSX - 180 grains - 3180 fps

Reloader 25 - 87 grain Barnes TTSX - 3190 fps

I found the 87 grs of RL-25 in a 180 Ballistic tip to go under an inch and chrono's 3280 with no pressure signs or primer pocket expansion. It's hard to imagine that speed with no pressure, but it's there for me! I have read that RL-25 is basicly the same as MRP-2 and Weatherby factory loads from Norma use this to achieve the 3300 they claim?? My speed was with Remington brass in a Model 70 Winchester.

My other 300 wby is a Mark V and it likes RL-25 at 85 gr with a 200 Partition at close to 3100. With both loads you get a bit of recoil, but nothing is free I guess!

I will post some pictures of my groups when I get time. The Model 70 is now glass bedded and free floated but the magazine was binding. With a little grinding that has gone away and the groups are coming in! I hope the tip problem gets fixed on the Accubonds because at these velocities the BT's will probably come apart at close range.

200 gr AB 82-83 gr of 7828, or 83-85 rl25. These are max drop 10% and work up.

Back