What is Your Opinion/Experience on the New Remington ADL's

HAWKEYESATX

Handloader
Aug 15, 2016
Since I have one of the older made Remington M700 BDL's, I can see that craftsman made this rifle.
I have heard that the newer Remington M700 ADL's quality control is lacking. Some have said that they're great for what they are, and quite reasonably priced.

I would like to hear about your opinions and or experiences on the new rifles.

Thank you all in advance for sharing your knowledge and expertise.

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

I’ve been a Remington 700 fan for as long as I can remember, also love model 7’s. I’ve heard bad things about them recently, like the last 5 years. All mine have been good, I usually buy used guns, but I decided I needed a new Rem this year. It was a nightmare.

First shot the factory ammo stuck in the chamber, tapped it out with a cleaning rod. The side was bulging and the chamber was out of round. Called Rem, sent in, new barrel. At this point it wouldn’t feed the ammo if I had more than one in the magazine. So I got to looking and the angle of of the metal at the top was wrong, if you put 3 in the magazine, 2 would pop up every time. After bending it around and testing it, got it to feed just right.

Then I go to shoot and the firing pin is leaving a weird ring around the primer. Turns out the bolt face was a bit off also, back to rem. They sent it back, new bolt, new barrel, I fixed the magazine.

At this point I was so mad I sold it and bought an new Win EWSS out of spite for REM haha.

I then found an old ADL on gunbroker and cheap, nobody wants a plain ol ADL. Man it shoots good, cycles good, just plain good gun. Next time I see another old ADL I’m picking it up too!

I haven't had many problems with Rem 700's - but my newest is at least six years old.

The new ones might be okay? But Remington is once again in bankruptcy. That might be affecting quality?

Much as I like my Remingtons, I'd urge you to look for a great older 700 ADL or BDL. Twenty years ago I had a bottom of the line ADL with the synthetic stock. A 7mm Rem Mag. It shot GREAT and the crowning achievement for that rifle was a beautiful 6x6 bull elk in the Wind Rivers. :)

It looked cheesy, but shot great.

Guy

Guy Miner":rzsdfrfj said:
I haven't had many problems with Rem 700's - but my newest is at least six years old.

The new ones might be okay? But Remington is once again in bankruptcy. That might be affecting quality?

Much as I like my Remingtons, I'd urge you to look for a great older 700 ADL or BDL. Twenty years ago I had a bottom of the line ADL with the synthetic stock. A 7mm Rem Mag. It shot GREAT and the crowning achievement for that rifle was a beautiful 6x6 bull elk in the Wind Rivers. :)

It looked cheesy, but shot great.

Guy
Can't argue with success, is what I always say.
Yeah, it's nice to have a good looking rifle, but at the end of the day, if it fills your tag, it's done it's job quite well.

Hawk

Just got a new 700 Long Range... the fit, finish, & function is much less than stellar. I inquired as to the location of the nearest local warranty repair shop (remember them?) & was instructed the rifle must be returned to their NY facility for repair after completing a warranty claim. Thinking I'll fix it myself.

I have three of the newer ADLs, a 25-06, a 243 Win, and a varmint barrel 22-250. I have no issues with them other than they're so darn homely. The fit is decent, triggers adjust well, and they shoot tight groups. Best of all I paid less than $300 a piece for the latter two.

Bruce Mc":2vz6zpmt said:
I have three of the newer ADLs, a 25-06, a 243 Win, and a varmint barrel 22-250. I have no issues with them other than they're so darn homely. The fit is decent, triggers adjust well, and they shoot tight groups. Best of all I paid less than $300 a piece for the latter two.
That's really good prices for them.
Thank you Bruce Mc.

Hawk

HAWKEYESATX":248il7jy said:
Bruce Mc":248il7jy said:
Thank you Bruce Mc.

Hawk

The one thing I really like about the ADL is you can put a B&C light Varmint stock on it for $300, the entire bare rifle is right at 6 lbs for the old 22” versions, not sure about the newer 24” models. That’s a cheap price for a 6lb rifle.

If the wind doesn’t blow, take to the oars.

coop22250":syq4rzli said:
HAWKEYESATX":syq4rzli said:
Bruce Mc":syq4rzli said:
Thank you Bruce Mc.

Hawk

The one thing I really like about the ADL is you can put a B&C light Varmint stock on it for $300, the entire bare rifle is right at 6 lbs for the old 22” versions, not sure about the newer 24” models. That’s a cheap price for a 6lb rifle.

If the wind doesn’t blow, take to the oars.
Good stuff to know.
Thank you.

Hawk

About 6-8 months ago I was in a gunshop and saw a new "stainless" 700 on the rack. On looking closer, the finish around the trigger guard area was coming off like paint and it had rust underneath it. This was a brand new rifle, still with tags. I have heard others mention finding this as well.

I agree with other posters regarding the older 700 ADL/BDLs. I used to be a 700 guy through and through but over the years working in gunshops part time, as well as shopping others as a customer, the quality seemed to wane as the years progressed. I have several of the older models and am very happy with them, including several of what was then the economy guns, the all black 700 ADLs with the synthetic stock and "parkerized" finish. They all shot well for me and no issues with the finish, you just had to keep them oiled to fight rust.

Ron

You will need to purchase a metal trigger guard, they come with a cheap plastic one.

Sad to read about all the problems with the new 700's, after decades of them being a pretty doggone decent rifle. I started with one in 1974, my son still shoots that 6mm Rem. It's still a good looking, good shooting rifle.

I've got three, a 308 "varmint synthetic" that was my SWAT rifle. It's ugly 'cause of my rattle can camo paint job, but goodness it shoots well.

The other two are the CDL's in 25-06 & 30-06, and I think you guys know that I dote on them. I think they look good, feel good, and I know they shoot great.

Had a few others over the years in various cartridges, and most were darned good rifles. Some prettier than others, but they all worked smoothly and I think only one had some accuracy issues - a real lightweight 30-06 from the 1960's. Maybe I just had recoil issues with the metal butt plate, light weight and stout loads. :mrgreen:

Guy

I don't have one of the newer Remington rifles but from what I have been hearing and seeing Remington has gone the way of some of the other companies. They were bought out by a conglomerate that is only concerned about making a quick buck by cutting corners and quality and duping the consumer with the good old name that used to be quality. Then they file for bankruptcy to screw their creditors. I have also seen NEW Remington's come out of the box with rust on them. Locals call them Rustington's.

I have a plain ol Remington 700 in 30-06 that I bought at wal-mart for $329. I put a vortex scope on it and it shoots fabulous. I first shot factory deer season xp and the groups were 1 inch at 100 yds. i started reloading and I have been able to shoot sub moa groups with several different bullets and several different powders. Was able to shoot a 154 inch 13 pt whitetail with it two years ago pushing a 178 gr ELDX. I did do my own trigger job on it and it has proven fine for me. It is plain, it is not some top of the line bench rifle but for this deer hunter it shoots superb.

I'm a fan of the older 700's myself. I've worked some loads up for some new ones and was not impressed with some of the fit and finish. Didn't know what yr they started going downhill but I'll take 25-06's statement of post 2000.

I know they made good rifles yet past the point of the older brass pin models, but in my opinion the brass pin years were when they had a well known reputation for being a top rifle, and strived to keep it.

358 WCF":1cqhcoaz said:
Just got a new 700 Long Range... the fit, finish, & function is much less than stellar. I inquired as to the location of the nearest local warranty repair shop (remember them?) & was instructed the rifle must be returned to their NY facility for repair after completing a warranty claim. Thinking I'll fix it myself.
>>>> make them repair to your satisfaction on their time and their dime (y) including shipping to them......

I love the Mod 700s and their clones. However, they all needed a good trigger job ( or replacement) some shoot fine as is ( no bedding job, or free float) many more have benefited from pillar bedding/free float. I must say, Bergara B14 Hunter "comes" pillar bedded/free-floated, good trigger, for $700. Much as I love the older Remingtons ( Mountain rifle, Classic, CDL) they all can use some "tweaking".

Back