What needs to be done?

257 Ackley

Handloader
Nov 25, 2008
Need some help figuring out what is going on with my brass. I am using Nosler brass in my .260, which has been fired 3 times. The first loads were light, break in the barrel loads. The last two loadings have been to start finding a load for the 130 grain AB. I always check cartridge length before starting my next loads to see if I need to trim.

The loads shot today had a few that the bolt closed on fairly hard and the bolt was "sticky" after the shot. Brass was tumbled, resized and tumbled again before taking measurements. No problems on cartridge length or other measurements along the case. When I place an empty case in the chamber and try to close the bolt, it will not close. I have tried a new unfired case in the chamber and it closes with no problems. Every measurement on the cases fired 3X and unfired are the same. What am I missing?

Max length before cases need to be trimmed is 2.036 and I am at 2.022. It can't be case length, since the unfired are the same length as those shot already. Rifle is a Remington 2008 Limited edition that has about 60 rounds through it now. I have had some brass flow onto the bolt face, so I"m wondering if my neck thickness is too thick and will have to be reduced. Thanks for any help you can give.

Sounds as if you need to set the shoulder back a couple of thousandths. I suspect that you were neck sizing and the shoulder has moved forward to the wall of the chamber. You need to cam the press at least a little in order to set the shoulder back. Try this, and it should resolve the problem.

Sounds like your sizinmg die needs to be adjusted, forgive me if I'm assuming too much, but if you're using a FL sizing die this shouldn't happen.

Is the bolt able to move all the way forward? I have a tight chambered rifle that needs the necks to be turned down, if the necks are not then the bolt will be held back the same amount as the neck length. If it is caused by brass flow it might act differently, however, I would try to turn the sizing die in a little bit more. Not too much so as to over work you brass, but enough to bump the shoulder back into a place that the bolt will close normally. If not that, you could try neck turning. It is a bit of extra equipment, but will definitely not hurt accuracy if done uniformly. Most likely make a noticable improvement.

JT.

Yep, bump the shoulder and you should be fine.
If you neck size or partial full length size, you still have to do a full length resizing occasionally to set back the shoulder.

JD338

A little while back I was having the same problem, tight chambering after sizing. My frustration level had peaked when I decided to review this forum to see if I could get some help and you guys came through with flying colours. I gave my sizing die an extra 1/4" turn & solved the problem :grin: :grin: :grin: Again, thanks.

Thanks everyone; I had just neck sized until last night, but thought it might be a problem with the shoulder so I used my full length sizing die. Obviously it is not set far enough back. I usually full length size the first time and only neck size after that, so good lesson learned. I am still getting used to the Nosler brass, which seems to be a little harder than most of the other brass used in the past. You guys are the great to have as a resource.

Undoubtedly, the less you "work" the brass, the longer it will last, assuming you are not trying to increase velocity to excessive levels through building pressure above reasonable levels. Nevertheless, the brass does flow to fit the chamber, ensuring a tight fit until eventually it simply does not chamber.

You saved yourself alot of trouble by checking the cases before loading them. I have a box of 308 rounds that won't fit anything and I have not taken the time to dismantle them yet :oops:

JT,

1/4 turn on a sizing die IS NORMALLY TOO MUCH. Ideally you want about .002-.003" shoulder bump. 1/4 turn is about .015-.018" and is excessive.
I highly recomend that anyone into reloading get the hornady or stoney point bushing headspace kit. Once you have one you won't know how you loaded without it.

The loads shot today had a few that the bolt closed on fairly hard and the bolt was "sticky" after the shot.
this is a sign of high pressure, has nothing to do with the die adjustment, are you in the lands? could be a pressure spike as the bullet starts out of the case among other things.
RR

I agree with RR. Sounds like the bullets are seated out to far making it hard to close the bolt and that is causing enough pressure to make the bolt sticky. Is C.O.A.L. correct?

While I agree that the "sticky" bolt lift is generally seen as a pressure issue, in this case the test performed with an empty case that would not chamber precludes it being a pressure or seating depth issue. It was a sizing issue - the original poster FL sized and ended up squeezing the shoulder forward a bit because he didn't adjust his size die down enough. Turning the die in a bit cured the problem with empty cases, and that apparently cured the problem with extraction.

Back