What To Avoid When Hand Loading!

Dubyam,

I used a Sharpie on each of my test loads this week. They had the grains as well as an A, B or C for the appropriate test sequence. It's easy to remove the Sharpie with chemicals (acetone, lacquer thinner) or the stainless steel media cleaning removes it.

Patrick

I have read on Powder manufacturers websites that florescent light's was to never be used over a reloading bench? I know that is not real important because i think most everyone does this? Kinda like mountain bike riding and hunting everybody probably does this :)

Yeah, but the first time you go head over heels over the top of one of those florescent tubes, man, you'll quit...

;)

HOGWILD338-378":2fty6ps1 said:
I have read on Powder manufacturers websites that florescent light's was to never be used over a reloading bench? I know that is not real important because i think most everyone does this? Kinda like mountain bike riding and hunting everybody probably does this :)

I've head it too, but my room has the new type of fluorescent tubes and yes, they're in the same room as the bench. I can sit and watch my electronic scale and it doesnt vary a bit. I believe that's what it's supposed to interact with, but I have yet to see it. These lights don't hum, either. So far I really like them.

Googling it shows that wandering zero is the alleged issue, but as with many things "YMMV."

Very true. And RL15 and RL19 look the same from the right angle getting them out of the cupbord. Do you know how long it takes to pull 50 bullets with an inertia puller? About as long as it takes to re-size and re-prime 50 cases. I've tossed my share of mixed powders.

That is why I find the differently colored labels of IMR powders comforting. Maroon for 4350, sky blue for 4064, dark blue for 7828 etc.

Misery loves company, when things start out on the wrong foot, thats a clue to take a break. I just got back from a 2 week vacation to find my powder measure 1/4 full of some unknown ball powder. I know I've had this discussion with myself before.

I think that the newer electronic scales are shielded from RF interference. My little Hornady 350 electronic scale seems to have no ill effects from the small bulb, 15 inch flourescent fixture which is 3 feet above the bench. But it is a small bulb with not too much wattage.

I once had two powders on the bench. Got done with the one and poured the remaining powder from my charger into the wrong powder canister. Disposed of them both. That was years ago, I now load with one powder and one bullet on my bench at a time.

When preping brass in the block, I use magic marker on each case, grouping 3-5 cases in the block with adequate separation when load testing. I often will charge that 3-5 case lot with specific powder charge then seat the bullet, move them to the ammo box, then move to the next group to proceed.

If I'm stressed,tired or emotionally drained etc. I will not go to the loading bench or the Range.

Don

OK, what to avoid when hand loading!

1. Factory Ammo

2. Factory Ammo

3. Factory Ammo

4. Giving up and buying Factory Ammo

5. Last but not least, avoid Factory Ammo

6. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Let us not forget that improper lube when sizing can be a real PITA.......

Couple months ago I finally stuck my first case.... a 7MM RemMag. Nearly 30 years reloading and I did it!!!

Nice thing about managing a machine shop.....made my own removal tooling and did not have to wait for UPS.

I got burned on not keeping a good inventory of supplies. It sucks trying to find enough bullets or primers at the last minute.

I use the Sharpie method for denoting different loads. Instead of marking the case, I color code the primers and/or bullet tips (no clean up afterwards). You can get the multi packs of Sharpies from an office supply at a very reasonable price. I then put a sticky lable inside the ammo box with the color code data.

Some may laugh at this, but I think of my time at the reloading bench as gun-zen.

Phone goes off. TV goes off. Wife is onboard with it being safer if I'm 100% focused, so she leaves me be, short of the house catching on fire.

The single thing you can do, that will avoid all other problems, is avoid being distracted.

Reloading is something that should only be done with singular focus. No kids, no dogs, no distractions, no day dreaming. Pure, unadulterated focus on a single effort.

AzDak42":3es42chd said:
Some may laugh at this, but I think of my time at the reloading bench as gun-zen.

Phone goes off. TV goes off. Wife is onboard with it being safer if I'm 100% focused, so she leaves me be, short of the house catching on fire.

The single thing you can do, that will avoid all other problems, is avoid being distracted.

Reloading is something that should only be done with singular focus. No kids, no dogs, no distractions, no day dreaming. Pure, unadulterated focus on a single effort.

I won't laugh at it because that is the way it is when I relaod, no distractions and yes me and Nancy have worked that out. No interrupptions, no kids, grandkids, nothing but doing and finishing my work in my reloading room and that means no phone, nor computer or texting interrupptions. I do so many steps and they must be in order with out loosing order by interrupptions, I plan my schedule for reloading to also take in consideration Nancy and my grandkids and things they might like to do, they are first but once that is cleared my schedule I can reload without interruption.

AzDak42 & bullet, you guys are spot on! No distraction, no distractions, and no distractions. I would also add never ever hurry or rush a job. Slow and meticulous! If you don't have the time to do it at that moment then stop. It will wait till another day.

David

I have my bench in the garage. No one else comes in while I am loading. I will stop and go into the house to see them instead. No phone, no hearing aids, no door bell, no pets and no distractions. No food or drink.

I always use a loading tray for my cases. I never mix even same lot boxes of cases. There is only one box of bullets and one single powder canister on the loading bench while I am loading.

I weigh every rifle charge and every bullet on a digital scale. I calibrate each session and check the scale with a balance beam. I check every 10th load with a balance beam. Just being an engineer, I guess.

What not to do: Reload when there is a lot of humidity in the air.

On the music, I listen to it when I reload. It helps me concentrate.

FOTIS":yseoskdi said:
DrMike":yseoskdi said:
One powder at a time on the loading bench. It is waaaaaaay too easy to confuse which powder is which.

Absolutely!

BA HAH HAH HAH

Aren't containers labled? But I don't leave another on the bench but what I'm loading.

My friend, the containers are loaded but you might grab the wrong one when pouring! :shock:

FOTIS":37ubbhdb said:
My friend, the containers are loaded but you might grab the wrong one when pouring! :shock:

I'm just messin'....... :wink: I have a system, and One is on the bench and the rest are below in the drawer.

Back