What to choose....

noslerpartition

Handloader
May 26, 2018
I'm in need of some input.
I hunt in northern Germany. Our hunting seasons are quite long, in some cases from April to January with many species overlapping during that time.
We hunt smal roe deer, boar, some fallow deer and red stag.
So from 30-250 lbs field dressed. I started with a 30-06 in 2009, but the barrel is close to the end of it's live.
So - what to replace it with? Compared to most of you, my safe is quite empty.
I have a 6,5 Creedmoor that I take most of the time now and actually it is all I need. No shots beyond 300 y.
Since I have lots of brass, taking a 30-06 again would be economically sound.
My girlfriend has a 308 that shoots the light lead-free bullets we have to use almost at the same speed.
We are allowed to use suppressors.
Since I go to a few driven hunts each year, I thought something bigger might be ok. Not that I need it. But hey - how much do we really need?

The old 9,3x62 is high on the list.
Good bullets available, quite a punch. Works with shorter barrels and suppressor.
We have a few local wildcats, like 7,62x57 and 8,5x63.
On the list, too.
Btw, the rifle is a Tikka varmint.

So - considering I want to use local components, since US-parts are harder to get - what would you choose?
It will be more of a "what to have" than "need to have"...

You wouldn't be handicapped by any on the list at normal ranges from what I see. That said if you have brass and the other components, it sure is hard to go wrong with the 30-06. The range of 30 caliber bullets available even in these times is in a whole other stratosphere compared to anything else.

With a 30-06 and powder choices it's about like the cookie monster and cookies. Is it smokeless rifle powder? Then yes it probably likes it. (y) :D

If you want some punch I’d go with the .35 Whelen.
If you don’t want some punch the 25-06 is a fun round.

Vince

Our market is very different from yours. Reboring isn't cheaper than a new barrel.
The whelen is added to the list. Forgot that one.
25-06?
I like it. But I can't really use it's advantages.
For a lighter bullet, I am good with the Creedmoor.
30-06?
Guy just posted a video on CFE223 where the 308 was actually faster than the 30-06.
I don't see much difference between the two with nowadays powders.
Only you burn more of it in a 30-06...
I don't use heavy bullets, that's where to 30-06 wins.
So I am inclined to go heavier. The 9,3x62 is a German classic. Yeah. Tikka isn't German.
But I am leaning towards that

You're in good shape whichever way you go. However, it would be nice to have the heavier 9.3X62 available for your hunts if you wished. I don't have a 9.3X62, having opted to go to a 9.3X64. I really can't see me being without a 9.3mm cartridge. It is just fun, and it does drop game with authority.

NP, you're good to go whatever you'd choose and that 9.3x62 would be a hammer.

But your statement about a 308 with modern powder being faster than a 30-06 isn't entirely accurate. Yes with modern powders it can be faster with 150's than a lot of the loads with an 06 with powders that have been used for decades.

But the same modern type powders that boost the 308 are available for the 30-06. The difference between the 2 with 150's on top loads will be about 150 fps. About the same difference it's always been, it's just they've both moved up the scale.

The 308 for sure wins the efficiency game with 150's. It always has in my view. Knocks on the door of an 06 with less powder. It is very hard to argue against. When you jump to 165's and higher the differences become more pronounced without the 06 being pushed. But I'm not knocking the 308 at all. Great cartridge.

Well, one of my favorite deer rifles is a Ruger M77 RSI chambered in .308 Win. I'll admit it was a bear to find a useable load that gave reasonable hunting accuracy. Took a little over two years to find a load that worked. I call it my one trick pony. Velocity with the 165 gr. Speer hot Core was only 2550 FPS from the 18.5" barrel but it killed deer very nicely ot to 250 yards which was the longest shot I ever took on game with that rifle. Got into it cheap because the original owner couldn't find a useable load.
The 9.3x62 sounds interesting. I even think your 30-06 brass is easily convertible to 9.3x62 by simply running it though a sizing die. Could do that for practice ammo and save the good stuff for serious hunting.
Paul B.

While the game you hunt may not need the higher energy figures of the larger cartridges, there is no denying their effectiveness in anchoring these animals running past the shooters on stands of driven hunts.

Now finally having the 9.3x62 myself, I can say that I am enjoying as much as anticipated, and the moose had no complaints! I am looking forward to future hunts for more game such as bear, elk and bison. I am using the Nosler 250gr AccuBond ammo at the moment, and am looking forward finding a great handload with the same bullet, as well as the Swift A-Frame.

The 35 Whelen is another great choice, as would be the 338-06 A-Square.

Another good choice that requires a long action, but is easy on the shoulder and provide plenty of punch is the 376 Steyr. I am using the 260 gr AccuBond in my rifle with a 21" barrel and getting 2632 fps and 1/2" groups @ 100 yards. It has proved effective on elk and bison to date.

NP, you're good to go whatever you'd choose and that 9.3x62 would be a hammer.

But your statement about a 308 with modern powder being faster than a 30-06 isn't entirely accurate.
Hi ST,
I just meant that one example with CFE223 from Guys video.
I can get my 30-06 faster than the 308 with the right powder, on the other hand there is factory ammo out there in 308 that is faster than 30-06 from other brands. That's what meant saying that the difference is not huge.

I think I will go with the 9,3x62 and a 20"-22" barrel with a suppressor, once the 30-06 ammo is gone.

Hi ST,
I just meant that one example with CFE223 from Guys video.
I can get my 30-06 faster than the 308 with the right powder, on the other hand there is factory ammo out there in 308 that is faster than 30-06 from other brands. That's what meant saying that the difference is not huge.

I think I will go with the 9,3x62 and a 20"-22" barrel with a suppressor, once the 30-06 ammo is gone.
Excellent choice of cartridge. You can't go wrong.

I fully admit I am biased and will throw my weight behind the 35 Whelen and I know it is absolutely possible to convert your -06 brass by just resizing. That said - I don't know what your local laws permit, so converting the brass may not be strictly legal due to the different head stamp. Just want everyone to stay on the safe side of things.

Really, though, if you like the 9,3x62, it's a fantastic cartridge. I can't imagine you would be unhappy with it.

Our laws are strict, but not that strict ;-)
Converting is ok, but some of the brass is older anyway, so I will probably start with new brass anyway. But it will be some time until I start the project, so I will keep the whelen in mind and check brass

Back