What was I thinking?

We just need to get Nosler and some of the other companies to start supporting the cartridge.

Vince

I have never fired a .375 Ruger but have shot a couple of .375 H&H rifles over the years. I owned a push-feed Model 70 .375 that was quite accurate and though the recoil was stiffer than I like, it wasn’t impossible to shoot well. Sadly I traded it off a few years back.

Just picked up a .35 Whelen this year, I already like it just as well if not better. It’s better suited to what I typically hunt.

I have never fired a .375 Ruger but have shot a couple of .375 H&H rifles over the years. I owned a push-feed Model 70 .375 that was quite accurate and though the recoil was stiffer than I like, it wasn’t impossible to shoot well. Sadly I traded it off a few years back.

Just picked up a .35 Whelen this year, I already like it just as well if not better. It’s better suited to what I typically hunt.
You'll love the Whelen, what brand rifle did you get?
I sent off a M70 Push Control Feed 30-06 to J.E.S and had it reamed and rifled chambered in 35 Whelen AI and that thing is unbelievable. I actually almost split a white tail doe in half with a 225gr Partition trying for a rear spine shot/ Texas heart shot.
After post pictures and bullet load used Guy said I hit the deer with 4000lbs of muzzle energy, if I miss quoted Guy's post, I hope he will correct the this. I don't like to miss quote other people.
I'm not promoting the 35AI since it's not for everyone and was a lot of hard work finding the right powder primer bullet combination to get the most out of it safely and the accuracy form a 1-12 twist four grove barrel that is fairly thin.

Well, the 375 Ruger turned out to be more gun I need or want. I shot it 7 times and that was enough to say I had shot a 375 caliber rifle. In my travels on Friday I ran across a new Browning model 81 BLR chambered in 358 Win. I had passed on one of these in the same gun shop a number of years ago and had kicked myself ever since because Browning has stopped producing these in 358 Win. The gun store owner said, “Now is your chance”. It may very well be my last chance to find a new one of these.

I had a nice chat with the gun store owner and he said he would be interested in looking at the 375 Ruger. So yesterday I traveled back up almost to Buffalo with the 375 Ruger. We did some talking and came to a trade deal. I recovered ALL of my expenses for the 375 Ruger toward the Browning BLR.

I think this will make an excellent “walking through the woods” rifle. At this point I don’t think I will put any optics on it. Just keep it iron sights. I may order a Skinner peep sight to install on it. But, I won’t decide for sure until I shoot it with the factory sights.

DSCN2145.JPG

Dan, I've owned two BLRs chambered in .358 Win. Sorry I don't have one now, though I do own Ruger chambered in that cartridge. I have taken bison, black bear, mule deer, and elk with a BLR. It is a sweet handling bundle of energy.

Congratulations on your BLR 358 Win.
Those actions are really smooth.
And the 358 Win will hit hard.

JD338

Back