what would be the best 22 centerfire with 1-8 twist

coyotewallace

Beginner
Oct 13, 2005
i'm want to get a fast twist 224 but i cant make up my mind for the powder plant...
i here :
22-250std. an ackl.
220 swift std. an ackl.
223wssm
22-6mm std. an ackl.
the barrel i want to go with will be 26" an will have a brake.
ANY ADVICE????

Try a 220 Howell, the pressures it runs at are lower, barrels last longer, and it tosses a 90 Gr 224 cal bulllet @over 3300 fps. The cartridge was developed as a way of tossing heavy for caliber bullets at long, long range. It definatly needs as fast a twist as you can get.
I don`t have one, but the round just keeps creeping out of the back corners of my limited mind..................
try this link.
http://www.hunting-rifles.com/ballistics.html

I am very happy with my 1:8 twist .22/250AI which is shooting 80gr SMK's or Nosler 80gr custom comp bullets very accurately at around 3200fps.
normal_DSCF0017.JPG

It is a sleeved Remington 700 action, converted to single shot, Australian Maddco 1:8 twist 26" heavy (very) barrel - 1.25" diameter at muzzle, three lever trigger, McMillan prone stock, 20 moa tapered Weaver base.

It currently has a Hakko 6-26x56 scope on it, not the one in the pic.

It is pretty heavy and recoil is extremely light due to the weight, a muzzle brake would be superfluous on this rifle as sight picture is easily kept during firing.

I think you might be missing an important caliber in your category. 22-243 ackley. You have the option of using norma or lapua brass. Something to consider.

coyotewallace,

If you are considering a wildcat, you might want to take a look at the
.224 TTH (Texas Trophy Hunter). The TTH is a 6mm Rem necked down to .224" and is a ballistic twin to the 223 WSSM.
Something different.

Regards,

JD338

I have a 22-250 with a 1:7 twist. It shoots everything I have put through it very well, but I shoot 75 g. Hornady's the most.

IMO 22-243 (or AI) all the way. The 8 twist will accomodate everything except maybe the new 90gr bullets. Frankly, I'd go with the 9 twist and shoot the 75gr A-Max. Velocities over 3,600 ft/sec are easily obtained.

Twists faster than the 9 tend to slow velocities down a touch, foul bbls a bit faster and are very hard on thin jacketed bullets at the velocities of the 22-243. Poooof!

did my deer hunting with the .224 TTH this year took 4 deer all dropped in tracks with 60 gr partitions and one huge hog (250lb) ranges from 50 to 320 yards but mine is a 1:7 twist the 8 twist will have no issues wit the 60's am playing with the 75 swift scirocco but hard to mess with success I just wish Nosler would find a spot for a 65 or 75 gr AccuBond here in Texas the fast 22's are plenty for what we do here as long as you use a well built bullet.

remingtonman_25_06":377n49x5 said:
I think you might be missing an important caliber in your category. 22-243 ackley. You have the option of using norma or lapua brass. Something to consider.

I can agree on that one...

The 22/243 Ackley Imp is great!

i have 2 rifles in that caliber...

one with 1:7,75 twist

and one with 1:14 twist...

it is a pleasure to shoot, reload and get components for... now all i need is a ballistic tip in the 60-75 grains range... maybe some day...

Lapua brass is great... Norma brass is too soft...

Back