What's the difference in the Ballistic Tips and the Accubond

DevilDawg

Beginner
Apr 10, 2006
Currently I shoot the 120 gr BT's in my .260 Remington for deer, and they do a real good job of dropping them where they are shot. However, I do worry about hitting a big buck in the shoulder and having the bullet blow-up on the surface. Right now I work real hard at slipping the BT thru the ribs just behind the shoulder, but you just never know when one is going to stray a little. I've been told that the AccuBond is the same as the BT but just a little tougher. What say you.

Well I would say go to the bullet section on the Nosler main page and read up on the two. I think a better question is whats a better bullet between the AccuBond and the "silvertip"??? they are both beefed up versions of the balistic tip............

I have shot deer through the spine at fifty yds and hogs up to 150 lbs and have never had one blowup on the surface. This was with a 260 rem encore with a 15 inch barrel and 120 bts. they work fine, accubonds will just work better.

Honestly, I dont think you'll have to ever worry about that unless he is like 50 yards away, and something that close, unless its running, you should be able to neck or head shoot. The .260 doesnt push the bullet fast enough to blow up. I've punched through plenty deer shoulders with the 115g btip and the 25-06 and had absolutely no problems. Deer were always dropped on the spot as if hit by lightning. This is just my opinion, but I dont think you'll ever have to worry about it.

DevilDawg

Think of the AB as a bonded core version of the BT. The BT is designed to perform between 3000-1600 fps impact velocity. The 120 gr BT in your 260 Rem will work just fine on WT deer. The 130 gr AB should be an awesome bullet when it comes out.
Another option for you is the 125 gr PT. This bullet will rip through the vitals of a WT deer from any shot angle.

JD338

I love Nosler's AccuBond, which I believe is a one of the best all-around bullets there are to choose from.

325-sequences.gif

For starters, the AccuBond is a Ballistic Efficient round with an aerodynamic BC of .509 - enabling more downrange energy on target.

accubondcut.jpg

Example:

When comparing a bullet's energy in a 30-06 versus a 300 Win Mag, if you put a premium 180-gr. Nosler AccuBond bullet in a 30-06 at 2,750 fps MV and compare it to a plain jane Winchester 180-gr. Power Point in a 300 Win Mag at 2,960 fps MV, the 30-06 AccuBond will have an amazing 104 ft. lbs more energy at 300 yards: that's right - 2,005 versus 1,901 (Source: Winchester's 2005 Ammo Catalog, p. 10 - 13).

So you see the 180-gr. AccuBond with a BC of .509 easily makes up for and passes the 210 fps velocity advantage the 180-gr. Power Point had because of its much lower BC of only .349.

In this case, the 30-06 180-gr. AccuBond outperforms a 300 Win Mag 180-gr. Power Point at 300 yards.

Moreover, a Nosler Technician recently reported that in comparison to the Hornady InterBond, the AccuBond not only expands more than the InterBond (providing more shock), it also penetrates more by shedding shrapnel along the way to the point where the slightly smaller bullet actually penetrates more than the larger mushroom on the InterBond.

The AccuBond's design took 4 1/2 years in the making.

I like this bullet because it provides excellent expansion and its unique ability to slowly shed weight enables it to penetrate more than the competition, so you get the best of both worlds.

http://www.nosler.com/accubond.html

I would shoot accubonds ... PERIOD!

accurate

and much more reliable than a BT everyday of the week and twice on Sunday....

Why would you shoot a BT over a AccuBond, the only reason is if the AccuBond wont shoot and then I would go to another brand bonded or a Partition

honkeetonkin":3e7lx5yt said:
I have shot deer through the spine at fifty yds and hogs up to 150 lbs and have never had one blowup on the surface. This was with a 260 rem encore with a 15 inch barrel and 120 bts. they work fine, accubonds will just work better.

I quote 100% Bud!
I have used 130 grs. BT in my .270 Winch. for many years hunting Roe deer and Chamois (kinda Mountain Goat) on the Alps and I NEVER had a bullet blowing up on the "surface".
As a matter of fact, ALL of my shots but one were complete pass through, from different ranges and angles. And the one which didn't exit was a shot taken on a roe deer @ 130 yds. from above, where the bullet hit the deer in the high chest, ripped the spine and almost exited on the hind tigh (it was just under the skin).
This bullet drops the game right where it is, as long as you hit the "boiler room". Very accurate also.
The downside: very heavy meat damage when you hit the shoulder blade or a big bone.

I am now testing BT for my 6,5.
I thought I would gain in accuracy by using the 120 grs.....especially considering my rifle has a very long throat...
Well, at present the 100 grs. bullet seems to overtake the 120 for its accuracy, especially considering it will have a lower drop at long range.

Mistery of ballistics, I assume..... :wink:

Back