What's the favorite Moose caliber nowadays?

Very nicely played Dr Mike. I make sure I am never drinking anything before I read a post from Dr Mike, Gil, April, or cheyenne and now Earle has entered the ring. For me at least it is nice to once in a while get away from which is better the 30-06 or 270 win discussion, thanks guys

Well I am now convinced that your Grandfather and I would
Get along famously! He obviously has an eye for the finer
Things in life!
Now as far as that baseball glove is concerned.........lol
Actually they measure how strong a gun was around here
With a interesting medium:
They used to say firing at the "eye of an axe", meaning they wound drive the head of an axe into a stump then shoot at it.
This was the results, a 30/06 will shoot right thru the eye of an axe!
The 30/30 will shoot thru one side, and streach tthe other side some but won't go thru,
And a 44/40 will only put a "blue spot" on the head of an axe!
I heard my grandfather tell our hunters, many times in caliber discussion, "a 32 Special will shoot clear thru a good solid 7" white pine"........lol
Cheyenne, I can't believe you actually ATE that moose?
Around here we make friends with them ; then we work together.........moose-logging.jpg

Cheyenne, the -06 is a good calibre but don't you think that it is truly the mother of some great calibers such as the 35 Whelen & 280AI :mrgreen:.
I have taken Moose with a number of different calibers such as 270win, 280AI, 375 H&H along with my 35 Whelen and as usual it was more shot placement than caliber that has filled my deepfreeze (y).
In Saskatchewan I have probably heard the most stories of a the 180gr. in a 308win taking Moose up in the northern bush but it could be just urban legend.

Blessings,
Dan

I had the choice of a 30-06 or 300 H&H for my moose hunt last fall. Decided to take the 300 loaded with 180 gn Accubonds at around 2950 fps. I did not get a crack at a moose but would have been very comfortable with that set up. But I would not have felt under gunned with the 06 and the same bullet either.

Camo

SMACK!!!! It's a Home Run folks! That ball just cleared the green monster!

And while I am not a fan of the the 30-06, my first moose was harvested with a Parker Hale in the...you guessed it... the ol' Springfield cartridge of '06!

Since then this indigenous dietary staple has been harvested by me with the 300 Win Mag, 30-30 WCF, 308 Win, 6.5x55, 375 Win, 270 Wby, 338 Win Mag, 7MM Rem Mag, 270 Win, 7MM STW, 300 WSM, 280 Rem, 358 Win, 6.5 Creedmoor and both recurve and compound bows.

In Canada, the claim is that more moose have been harvested with the 303 British than any other caliber! After that the 30-30, but it would be a close race today with the 30-06.

Moose are not overly tough to kill, and have been harvested with 22LR and 410 slugs by my grandparents. Although it is not legal to hunt big game here with anything smaller than 23 caliber. And it is not necessary to shoot moose at long range. My farthest shot to date on a moose is 270 yards. 5 other moose were harvested between 200-226 yards, and another 16 between 12 and 170 yards.

Any cartridge based on the '06 case is sufficient for moose at reasonable distances, with proper shot placement.

Hunting moose with any leveraction rifle larger than 6mm is just plain cool!

The Alaska-Yukon moose is another story, as they can weigh 800-1000 lbs more than a Canadian moose. Our bulls can get as large as 1000 lbs, but average closer to 700-800 lbs locally. The A-Y bulls can up to 1800 lbs. this is where magnum rifles can be more effective. But long range hunting is still not necessary there either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to have an old gentleman in my church who was raised up in Star Valley, Wyoming. His favorite rifle for everything, including moose ( granted ours are the "small" Shiras) with a Savage 99 in 250/3000! Tons of Savage 99s in 300 Savage used around here back then too! The other three were 32 Special/30-30, 270 ( Mod 721/722s) and 30-06. Every "older gent" I asked who used the 270 used the 150gr bullet for everything. Almost every '06 user had a sporterized Enfield/Springfield.
Down in SE Texas, my dad called the 30-30 "the big gun" and the 30-06 was "only good for killing Japs and ruined too da-m much meat on deer/hogs"! ha. No moose in SE Texas, of course, but more than few wild Brahma bulls were dropped by 30-30s! (by Ranchers and a few meat rustlers)

I killed my Idaho bull with a .270, 130 Partition at 3100 FPS, 150 yard shot, just layed down and died.

Of all the rifles I have that could be the best moose cartridge imho, would be my 338 win mag with 225 grain premium loads at 28-2850 FPS.

When hunting moose in Newfoundland I was fully prepared to take a long shot if it was necessary. My Rem 700 LSS in 338 RUM would shoot the 250 Accubonds into 1" groups @ 300yds. Muzzle velocity was right at 3,000 ft/sec.

As luck would have it, the bull first presented itself at 54yds. One shot on the point of his shoulder and he flipped over backwards. The bull never even quivered, just DRT. The bullet, which was recovered under the hide on the opposite side, weighed 140gr. Considering how much heavy bone was penetrated I think the remaining bullet weight was pretty good.
I'm sold on the AccuBond bullets after taking many game animals with several different rifles/cartridges using the AccuBond.

I've seen moose harvested with a big variety of calibers. From 243-375h&h, even a 500SW. .
It seems to me whatever your comfortable with will work. Been a fairly mild winter here and the moose are doing quite well in our area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back