What's your best reloading tip?

flashhole

Beginner
Mar 3, 2006
Picked this up from another forum. Run the flat portion of the shaft of an electric toothbrush (minus the brush) up and down the side of the cartridge case to settle the powder for compressed loads. It allows you to get more powder in the case.

NEVER ......reload when your tired, or rushed, always give it 110 %.... :wink: ..jjmp

Buy a chronograph!

After your press and dies it probably is the most important piece of reloading gear you can purchase. If you don't know what velocities you are getting with your rounds you are only shooting in the dark so to speak.

After charging your cases and before you seat the bullets, look into each case
with a flashlight to make sure you didn't miss or double charge one of em.

Buy good dies and take your time making the brass right. If you go the step to a bushing die be sure and turn your necks. A competition seating die will seat your bullet straight, easier.

And one more I just have to add: you don't NEED a max load.

Everyone knows that the amount of travel a bullet jumps before it contacts the rifling can make a huge difference in the group size. Trying to seat bullets based on the OAL (from bottom of case to bullet tip) is like measuring someone's height with their shoes on (wearing a different pair every time). The variances in tips from bullet to bullet in the same box can be .025" or more. If you are trying to seat your bullets .030" off the lands, for example, basing your depth on the tip is pointless. You absolutely need a comparator (that measures to the bullet ogive) to know what the actual Distance From Lands (DFL) is.

Blaine

Make sure all of the brass in the cartridge tray have primers in them before you add powder, HAHAHA, w760 will pour right through a flash hole,
found out the hard way.
OCK

Continuously check your die tightness. Dies have a habit of backing out if you do not firmly tighten them.

Reloder28":2n0n5unk said:
Blaine,

Collimator - Bore Sight Device

Comparator - O.a.l. Measuring Device

Yup....I knew that.......had a "senior moment" there. :oops:

Blaine

Check your cleaned cases for any cleaning media that might be stuck to the inside of the case. It can be hard to see, especially in a smaller diameter caliber.

Long

Blaine,

Wrong word, but Great tip. It took me years to figure that one out and it was solved so easily once I took a sampling of bullets and measured them.

I color code my ammo by bullet weight. After I clean my brass, I use #0000 steel wool on the case head. I use magic markers, Blue for Lt weight, Green for Mid weight and Red for heavy weight bullets. I color the inside of the primer pocket along the beveled edge. After the primer is seated, you have a color coded ring around the primer.
For any given caliber, I know at a quick glance, what bullet weight I am shooting.
You could also use this for different powders or charge weights.

It also gives your ammo a nice "custom" look.

Regards,

JD338

I use a Bersin tool which not only measures runout but also has the capability of eliminating it. I found that flyers (other than the ones you cause) are eliminated. quite a gadget.

Lots of great tips! This is not my best, but those have already been mentioned. :wink:

If you find that your brass periodically gets stuck in your resizing die, try putting some lube on a Q-TIP and gently wipe the inside of the neck of every 4th one or so. Don't put in too much!

1. Own more than one good reloading manual. A good manual has more than recipes, it also walks you through the reloading process, and may have specific discussions on loading for various types of activities.
  2. Keep good notes. A reloader's logbook is invaluable. I've gotten away from keeping mine, and there are times I'd wished I had kept it up. Quite useful to be able to tell what's in the last batch of ammo you loaded.
  3. Keep your workbench clean and organized. Makes it easier to find the right tool at the right time.
  4. Learn how to properly use whatever tools you buy. Good tools can help make the job go faster - if you use 'em properly.

I think the single best piece of information for reloaders is to have only the components out you're going to use for a particular cartridge. It's far too easy to screw up when you have more than one can of powder out or other component. Mistakes come easily if you're tired or nervous. Don't make it worse than it is. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Back