What's Your "Fun Gun"?

My "most" fun gun is a Ruger American standard in 243 Win with a 9 twist. It shoots both 80g Hammer Hunters and 70g Varmageddons at 1/2" at 100 yards with the same POI. I just got rid of the rotary mags and put an AI mag kit in it, got it from Ruger customer service shipped for $25. Shot it today for the first time and it feeds and functions great, much better than the junk rotary mags.

Top of the list is my 22 rimfire Marlin 39A. I grin just thinking about that wonderful little rifle.
7ezoAc4h.jpg

But I have to admit that either of my other lever actions, 30-30 and 45-70 are awfully fun as well. Something about a lever action makes them awfully fun for me. I enjoy handloading for them, shooting them, and occasionally hunting with them. :)

nQSKRx1h.jpg

PjPsbs3h.jpg

Guy

I really like my CZ 452 "Special Training Rifle" .22LR... it's one of those weird ones, 25" barrel and hugely optimistic tangent sights all the way out to 175 meters.

I really like long range plinking at clays with it. You just drop them in there like artillery!

nothing wrong with enjoying a shotgun . can you buy components for shotshell reloading , or is that stuff scarce too ?

This one. Built just for the 100 yard range at the club. Just consistent, functional, fun and accurate. Its the rifle I wanted as a kid, when I was shooting gophers and dogs in the pasture, and only had a crossman 760.. ' Course it could be that rifle. untold thousands of bb's through that one. :)

Last edited:
Top of the list is my 22 rimfire Marlin 39A. I grin just thinking about that wonderful little rifle.
7ezoAc4h.jpg

But I have to admit that either of my other lever actions, 30-30 and 45-70 are awfully fun as well. Something about a lever action makes them awfully fun for me. I enjoy handloading for them, shooting them, and occasionally hunting with them. :)

nQSKRx1h.jpg

PjPsbs3h.jpg

Guy
Agree on the 39A Guy. Since I found that gun at a show 4 years ago I have put a lot of rounds through it. .22 is reasonable to shoot, relatively quiet (enough so that I can shoot it in my backyard) and it's very good practice for everything else in my gun cabinet.

So what is your old (or new, or new to you), "fun gun"?

As a kid, it was the Winchester Model 69A our grandparents got for us kids when we moved to the farm. Spent hours shooting it, and days in the field chasing ruffies and snowshoe hares. Some of my fondest memories as a kid.

As an adult, it has been my Marlin in 375 Win. It is the rifle that has been in my safe the longest. Has many great memories in the field taking bear, moose and caribou. After the Marlin's stock split and I had it repaired, my newer to me pre-81 BLR in 358 became my go-to rifle and fun gun. It has provided lots of great memories shooting and hunting, taking elk, moose and bear, and backed up DrMike on his first grizzly bear, and as my back up rifle for on the atv, horseback hunting, guiding, and archery hunting. And it was the rifle my daughter took her first big game animal with (mule deer).
Hard to beat a trusty lever action as a "fun gun"!
I thought being able to hunt quail and squirrels with one gun ( a combination ) was the cats meow when I was a young girl. Later, the drilling was a fun gun, especially in overlapping seasons . As the years rolled by the weight of the drilling was a negative however.

My 7mm Dakota XP-100!
It just shoots so good. It does a good job of killing too.
sjqL3WLl.jpg

Prairie dog out to 1450 yards shooting off of a bi-pod
When I first did drop confirmation at a grand with it. First shot was high,so I confirmed it with a second shot. Took away some MOA, and fired two more.
Lx8slFcl.jpg

Newbies to distance...

I enjoy most all my firearms but the most fun rifle is one of my two 50BMG rifles. Shooting them is the most fun you can have with your clothes on. My fav hunting rifle would be my 338win mag Ruger Tang safety M77 or my 257W in a Weatherby MKV rifle. It is hard to beat my Ruger RH in 44mag for pistols My heavy barreled Rem 223 would be my fav PD/Squirrel rifle which is on its 2nd barrel.

I have several, and they are all center-grip XP-100's
The biggest one is a 7mm Dakota. I currently shoot the 175 grain ELD-X with it right at 2900 fps. I have taken prairie dogs out to 1450 yards with it, killed waterbuck, widlebeeste, springbuck, blesbuck, kudu, other African game, plus elk and mule deer with it, and rang steel past 2K with it. It does everything.
1st shot connection at 1K.
x05vZPml.jpg

My newest one is my 22GT. I have only killed deer with it, but have rang steel out to 1350 yards, but I can no doubt go further, if I have decent conditions. Almost no recoil, and it is flat shooting with negligible wind drift for a specialty pistol.
dSfG8pjl.jpg

Back