when do you retire/discard brass?

Banshee

Beginner
Dec 31, 2007
do you use a fixed number of uses?
After trimming X times?
When the primer is too loose?

I generally keep on loading brass until I can detect stretching near the head, loose primer pockets, or I start seeing necks split. I have some .223 brass that is probably20 years old and reloaded 15 times or more, still going strong. I have had to discard .280 brass after six or so loadings---I push .280 a little hard like a .270 Winchester.

RiverRider":wgwf7fkz said:
I generally keep on loading brass until I can detect stretching near the head, loose primer pockets, or I start seeing necks split.

Same here.

JD338

Got to say Ditto here -

As above, I have some 22-250 brass in that 15 to 20 year old range still going strong.

all of the above. But also, I have some brass that cannot be sized down enough to fit into the rifle in spite of full length resizing and even using Innovative Technologies Belted Magnum Resizing Die. So, that brass is retired as well'
Hardpan

I generally keep on loading brass until I can detect stretching near the head, loose primer pockets, or I start seeing necks split.

Same for me except for the magnum cases, I am really careful about stretching and frequently check the inside of the case forward of the belt for any signs. I prpbably load some of mine to many times. when I sold my 22-250 I still had some of the the original cases that I had bought 30 years before. Light loads and neck sizing will do wonders for case life.

Until they don't work anymore.

If it's on it's last legs, I'll take it along hunting so I don't mind if I fail to pick it up.

That pretty well sums up my personal practise. I do use only virgin brass or brass that has been fired once for my hunting loads, reserving the other brass for load development and/or target practise.

That pretty well sums up my personal practise. I do use only virgin brass or brass that has been fired once for my hunting loads, reserving the other brass for load development and/or target practise

Me to!! I am anal about what I hunt with, only nearly new, low mileage brass.

Back