When they dont go down...???

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
Everything I am about to tell you is perfectly legal and probably ethical but it is not the kind of hunter I want to be. OK last weekend I took a doe with a 12 ga slug @ 70 yards. At the shot she swapped ends and ran hard back the way she came, tail -up flat out. I watched her run out of sight perhaps 200 yards across a plowed field. The smaller doe and a fawn were still standing there, and thinking I had missed cleanly I drew a bead on the doe at 50 yards and shot. She went down, hit high through the back rib and took another shot to finish her.
When my hunting partner arrived and helped with gutting the second doe he just happened to look up and see the first doe plied up at the top of the rise. From where I was she was not visible.

Obviously, I should have trusted my first shot and not taken the second. Another member of my hunting party had to put his doe tag on one of the two. Again legal, and no meat was wasted, but not the kind of hunter I want to be. Rightly so he was not happy with me. So I am leaving myself open for all the criticism and admonitions you have but also asking if there is a "sign" I missed that the first deer was hit. As I said, at the shot she swapped ends and ran hard, from what I remember- tail up. I did not hear the "bang pop" I was hoping for either. The doe was hit dead center just behind the last rib. A poor shot to be sure. I alkways try and make sure mtyy shots are well placed as I have to rely on some one else to do my tracking. Trouble is I assumed I missed the first deer. What did I miss? Its stuff like this that makes me want give up hunting. CL

Don't give up hunting. Given enough years afield, and enough shots, we all end up making a shot we're not proud of. It happens. Hunting is not perfect, it's not a target range. Animals don't all fall over at the shot. We'd like it to happen every time, but that's not reality.

Your friend who tagged the runaway doe shouldn't be upset. He didn't even have to get his gun dirty! :grin:

Regards, Guy

+ One, Guy put it very well. It has happened to a lot of us at least once in all the years we have hunted. Keep hunting, have fun and be thankful for all that you have been given. Good luck the rest of the year. :grin:

CL, like they say s**t happens. The good thing is the animal was not wasted. Its not the movies, its real life. We all wish that when we shoot, it hits perfectly and the animal dies on the spot but this doesn't always happen. Hey got two does, lots of good meat and if I was your friend i would be happy. As we say " Pau hunt, no need clean gun"

CL,
I can't say anything that hasn't already been said. We've all been in a paticular situation that gave us that bad feeling in our stomach at one point or another. We reach that point that we think after ALL these years hunting we've learned it all. Best part is next year is a new year and if that situation arises again... well...?? :wink: I bet you'll either be hunting the next day because you actually did miss or the freezer will be full. The other deer didn't go to waist so all is good. Keep enjoying the outdoors.

CL;
I guide a lot of hunters, and believe me, a large percentage of them think that they have missed when they did not. In Ca, and some other states, it is absolutely against the law to "think" you missed and shoot another animal unless you have 2 tags. My advice is to always do a blood check before you shoot again. Most of us hunt because we want to or for the love of it, and not for the kill or even the meat.

Every hunter I know has made at least one mistake, so just don't worry about it. I saw a taped program yesterday, where a heart shot was made, and the hunter and guide after reviewing the tape were all sure that the animal was missed. But it was piled up just out of sight, 30 yards away! If a video tape review is not clear, then there is no way that you can be certain with just your eyes. So, the best thing is to wait a while, and then check for blood.

I guided a boar hunter that shot and swore that he missed. It was very late, and by the time that we were out of the stand, it was dark. I could not see any blood, even with a light. The next morning, I found a single drop of blood with flies around it, and then found a 250 LB boar in the woods about 55 yards away. Heart shot, and the fat had sealed the wound. Just the single drop of blood. Had a similiar thing happen with an Elk!

So cheer up, no hard done, and enjoy the backstraps!
Hardpan

I'm suprised at the responses.

You dropped the ball. You shot at a deer, and decided it would be too difficult to go check for blood so you shot another one. Damn right your buddy is pissed for having to cut a tag. You are lucky he just didn't say no. And you are even more lucky that there WAS a second tag...What if he'd shot a deer at the same time? Then you have two dead deer and one tag....
There is no warm fuzzy shit to be said here. It is not ethical in any way shape or form. You shot something and decided to shoot something else because it didn't fall down right there.

What you did may be legal in your AO, but it sure as hell ain't ethical.

Well, CL, I don't agree completely with the above post. There's no need to be abrasive when you can get your point across without being so. That said, for me it would be questionable to take the second shot, only because I am a cautious hunter, and would follow up on the first shot before taking a second, unless I had a pair of tags. So what Kodiak said is true, to some degree, it just didn't have to be delivered in a demeaning manner. You live and learn, and you clearly understand that the situation was not ideal, and should be avoided. Keep at it, and like the rest of us, keep learning and getting better.

Perhaps one of your hunting buddies could have gone out and checked for blood or helped you look for that first deer? I know that's tough for you.

Good point and well put dubyam!! Anyone here never made a mistake or never has done something wrong stand up we will call you Jesus or at least confirm the fact that you walk on water. Cloverleaf, just learn from this and go on and know that water under the bridge can't be chased down nor can an arrow be called back once it leaves the bow. We are looking forward to good hunting and results from you in the future.

Well, I've never been accused of sugar coating anything.

Feel that it was abrasive, or what ever, thats your perogitive.

You asked for a sign that the first one was hit? Well, you may have missed a pretty obvious one in that you said she swapped ends at the shot and ran hard...Tail up or down is moot. The fact that at the shot she ran hard, and the others didn't move is a pretty big one....

Well, I won't say I'd be pleased to give up a tag, especially for a poorly shot carcass.

However, I have a little bit more insight into this thread then most of you. My youngest brother suffered a pre-natal stroke(ie Cebral Palsy), his right hand can't function a bolt, and he has to shot prone off a bipod or from a polecat standing bipod. He is one of my hunting partners and I can say without reservation, a true sportsman @ 14 years old. Now it's been an inordinate PITA to get him tagged out, but I take the time. I would tag a deer for him if need be, no questions asked. People with disabilities have just as much fun as we do out there, but even a spike buck is a trophy if you have to work that hard for it!!

IMG_4014.jpg

Now I know what CL did was unethical, but I've hunted with somebody that needs me to load his gun(we've switched him to a semi auto now) for 2 years and would forgive him too.

Kodiakhtr, you need to get real. The things you take for granted are not guaranteed in this life. So please keep your ego in check unless you have dealt with this situation. You did speak the truth, but a little tact would go along way. I think CL already knows he screwed up. There will be other days Cl, learn from your mistakes and perhaps switch to a semi auto so you can anchor your game a little easier.

CC.[/img]

Hey - youngest brother looks pretty happy with that buck! Great that you took the time to help him hunt. Very cool.

CL obviously feels bad about what happened, or he wouldn't have even posted his story. Not my place to go making him feel worse. I'm just delighted that he's out hunting! We all learn as we go along.

Regards, Guy

jtoews80":ogxra6j9 said:
However, I have a little bit more insight into this thread then most of you. My youngest brother suffered a pre-natal stroke(ie Cebral Palsy), his right hand can't function a bolt, and he has to shot prone off a bipod or from a polecat standing bipod. He is one of my hunting partners and I can say without reservation, a true sportsman @ 14 years old. Now it's been an inordinate PITA to get him tagged out, but I take the time. I would tag a deer for him if need be, no questions asked. People with disabilities have just as much fun as we do out there, but even a spike buck is a trophy if you have to work that hard for it!!

Kudo's to you to making your lil bro's hunts successful.

jtoews80":ogxra6j9 said:
Kodiakhtr, you need to get real. The things you take for granted are not guaranteed in this life. So please keep your ego in check unless you have dealt with this situation. You did speak the truth, but a little tact would go along way. I think CL already knows he screwed up. There will be other days Cl, learn from your mistakes and perhaps switch to a semi auto so you can anchor your game a little easier.

CC.[/img]

The only thing I take for granted is the belief that when you shoot at one critter, you owe it to that critter to see if its hit or not. My ego has sweet F*ck All to do with it. CL shot at a deer. He should of waited till someone came to give him a hand, or done what he could to check.

Tact...Why? Cut him some slack because he rides a chair? Why? He hunts the same as everyone else. Same rules, same ideals. Everyone has a tough row to hoe. Just some of us have a more visible row.
Bully for CL for getting out there with it being more difficult for him, but that shouldn't change the ETHICS of the situation.

If he wasn't riding a chair every single one of you would be hammering someone who said they shot at a deer and it didn't tip over so they shot another....

I realize that one should not target a second game animal before making sure that the first is not hit or lying just inside the bushes etc. Not questioning that really as I had mentioned that in the prior post, and yes if one of my hunting partners did such a thing and I had to tag it I would be angry.
I believe that was the purpose of CL starting this thread, he wanted to ensure this doesn't happen again, and avoid this kind of stress during an otherwise relaxing hunting trip.
As to my making allowances for such behavior because of a disability, "yes" I do make some allowances. I understand that it could be nearly impossible for this person to check the target's location for signs of a hit or a blood trail. Further, he may have put himself into a field of fire without any way of removing himself quickly should the need arise.

I can appreciate where you are coming from, your points are valid. Ethically, one must ensure that all game fired on is accounted for. I would just ask for some consideration for a disabled person.

As was mentioned before, to err is human, whether or not we admit to it is irrelavant. Learning from your mistakes is the real question. You say everybody has a tough row, that may be. However, you are not the one riding the chair.

I'll not comment on this topic again, it isn't terribly pleasant.

Welcome to the forum, let's talk about something cool. How is the elk hunting in BC this year. Got any pics you want to share, we all love pics of BIG elk :grin: :grin: Or Bears, or guns.....

CC.

Well- I put it out there cause I wasnt proud of it. I didnt expect to get all warm fuzzied. Learn from my mistake. But I will say this. Kodiak, put your pride in your pocket. The agreement to use the tags for good shots was well established before we loaded the guns in the a.m. My friend who b#$% , missed a buck at 25 yards later in the day. No excuses for taking the second shot.
I guarentee you kodiak I have passed on shots you could have easily made just because I wasnt certain I could make the shot not because it wasnt a good or ethical one.
I made a mistake, but I work hard at making a good shot cuase no matter what if I screw up some body else has to do my tracking. It can happen to you.

On a personal note, Kodiak I didnt post this here with people I respect because I wanted slack or sauve for my conscience. Your point about the doe running hard is well taken. Dont you think I figured that one out about ten seconds after we found the second deer?

Give up hunting?!?! No, learn from the experience, yup. I will say no more. CL

Cloverleaf,
I have seen this same situatuion up elk hunting last year. It happens to the best of us. So just keep shooting/hunting and learn from the past as the past cannot be undone so make the present better.

I appreciate that Cloverleaf admitted honestly his mistake. Maybe somebodey else will not do the same sharing his experience in a forum :oops: :oops: :oops: .
So Cloverleaf don't give up hunting!
paolo

Back