which 7mm to choose???

bteate

Beginner
Sep 17, 2009
I'm thinking of getting a long range (+/- 500 yard) 7mm. I'm leaning toward a 7mmRM, but I've found a nice Rem. 700 in 7mm Wby. Mag that's got me thinking. Is the 7mm Wby worth the extra recoil? The 700 has a Magna ported barrel. Does anyone have any experience with a Magna-ported barrel? I always wear hearing protection at the range and Walkers Game Ears muffs while hunting, so sound isn't that big of a factor. Any suggestions?

The 7mm RM is certainly capable of reaching 500 yards and beyond. The 7mm Wby is not a cartridge that is hard to shoot, nor is it difficult to load; it does quite well without excessive recoil. You will not have a major increase in velocity over the 7mm RM. For an increased of about 8 to 10 percent case capacity, you will gain about 3 percent velocity. I have not used the Magna-Porting system, so I'm certainly not qualified to address that issue. I should think that it would assist in holding barrel rise to a minimum.

Either one will do 500 yds easy, The 7mm Wby brass will cost more but 100 pcs will last a long time. Get the one you want and go have fun.

JD338

I have the 7mm wsm, and I love it. The recoil is very tolerable since my rifle weighs 13.5 pounds. I am pushing the 168 grain berger target vld at 3071 fps. At my altitude the bullet has 3517 ft lbs at muzzle and 1303 ft lbs at 1000 yards. Plus I am using a lot less powder than the 7mm rem mag and the 7mm weatherby.

I'll pick the 7MM RM over the Weatherby. I use to own a Sako AIII chambered for 300 Winchester Magnum. The previous owner had it Magna-Ported and it really tame the 9lb rifle. Also it's not as loud as any conventional brake, but then again I'm deaf anyway :(

I've had some experience with the 7 RM out to 1K the last few years. It does quite well with the 162-180g target bullets.

Killed a whitetail buck at 800 and a cow elk at 900, 1 shot a piece. 162g amax on the buck and a 168g VLD on the cow elk. Both animals were hit behind the shoulder and traveled about 30 yards and piled up.

Nothing wrong with any magnum 7mm. They all do pretty much the same thing if you use the right bullet and put it where it suppose to go.

I have a 7Rem mag and it is mag-n-ported as are quite a number of other rifles I have. I like it. The niose is not bad and MUCH better than several friends brakes of different manufactures. The mag-n-port helps recoil and really helps muzzle jump. It also makes little difference in bullet speed as some people think.

Get the 7mmRemMag. Easily do 500yd shots, ammo/components available everywhere, more info on loads. Mag-na-port should help do know for sure. Had it done on a 44Mag Ruger. Made no difference when compared to one just like it both were original Ruger Red Hawks.Rick.

I've shot both 7mag/7Wby Dr Mike is right alittle more powder for the Wby not alot of gain in velocity.

I would take the 7Wby if you want to shoot the lead free bullets if you look at Barnes manual they get pretty good velocity over the 7mag. With the freebore may even work with Berger VLD bullets.

I vote for the 7mm Rem Mag also. I have two of them, and man, there are components everywhere and they are easy to load for. Plus, you can find 7mm Rem Mag ammo in about any Western State or even here in the East also. I don't think you'll gain enough with the WBY to make any difference, and the price of brass is a little bit of a detractor for me. Scotty

You have some good responses here, but I guess I will add one more.

I have owned and shot a number of 7mm Magnums of various sorts.
In my opinion, if you reload, the 7mm Wby Mag and the 7mm Rem Mag are about a toss up. You will be able to get more velocity with the Weatherby, but not a big difference. (However, the Weatherby is still my choice.)

IF, you must shoot factory ammo, there is no comparison! I have chronographed LOTS of 7mm Rem Mag ammo that will not come anywhere close to the claimed velocities. Some factory ammmo is so anemic I simply cannot beleive it. However, any time I have chronographed 7mm Wby Mag ammo it has given the expected velocities and good groups.

The biggest dissapointment in 7mm magnums I have tested was a Remington Sendero in 7mm STW. My 7mm Wby Mag would shoot faster and give better groups.

In regard to the Manaporting, I have only worked with one gun that we had Magnaported. It was a .378 Wby Mag and it kicked like hell! We had the porting done and it was a big help. The noise did not seem to change, the recoil was reduced but not by much, but the muzzle rise or flip was reduced dramatically.

If I can't get my 270 WSM shooting any better I'm sending it down the road and getting a 7RM. It will be my primary deer rifle and backup elk/bear rifle behind my 338WM. More than likely be shooting the 160 AB.

Sounds like you are really looking for something bigger then the 7mm Rem mag. The Weatherby and RUM fit the bill, but don't forget about the 7mm STW. All three with a 150gr BT or 160gr AB will fit the bill. Personally I feel the RUM sized case is more suited to a 30 to 338 caliber bullet. With such a large case and small caliber bullet, there are few powders slow enough to work well. The STW already pushed these limits, and the RUM has about another 10% case capacity. In addition, the STW uses a standard magnum bolt face, were the RUM is bigger around. I also expect the 7mm RUM to have the largest risk of going obsolete. Of the three, the weatherby will probably be the most efficent. Personally, I own the 7mm STW, and like it very much.

Antelope_Sniper":z4isall7 said:
Sounds like you are really looking for something bigger then the 7mm Rem mag. The Weatherby and RUM fit the bill, but don't forget about the 7mm STW. All three with a 150gr BT or 160gr AB will fit the bill. Personally I feel the RUM sized case is more suited to a 30 to 338 caliber bullet. With such a large case and small caliber bullet, there are few powders slow enough to work well. The STW already pushed these limits, and the RUM has about another 10% case capacity. In addition, the STW uses a standard magnum bolt face, were the RUM is bigger around. I also expect the 7mm RUM to have the largest risk of going obsolete. Of the three, the weatherby will probably be the most efficent. Personally, I own the 7mm STW, and like it very much.

Sound logic and well thought out with experience thrown in :!:

+1

Back