Which of these bullets open easier?

preacher

Handloader
Aug 19, 2012
Anyone know , from fastest to slowest, the expansion rate of the , GMX, Etip and Barnes TTSX? They are all tipped, of course, which is supposed to be a help. I'm thinking of the 338 Federal in particular. I've only killed game with the Barnes, but always in faster rounds. Any help appreciated.

I'd put the GMX as the fastest opening. I really think the ones I've seen almost open like a cup and core bullet.
Which of the remaining two opens more......I'm clueless. A guess though. Since I've sheared off petals on Barnes and not seen degradation on the eTips, I'd put the Barnes as second quickest.

Preacher,

In 338, I would think a bit comes down to bullet weight and what the companies expect it to be used for. This is a guess, but I would think E-tip, GMX and then the Barnes TTSX for 200-225 grain bullets.

The GMX 185 grain bullet probably opens the earliest as it is light for caliber and I am not seeing comparable E-tips so the light GMX bullet might fill a niche for light skinned game out of the 338 Federal. Barnes seems to push for penetration while the E-tip seems to be designed more around mimicking traditional lead bullets in that it maintains a larger wound channel. I don't know much about the GMX, but in general it has a larger cavity than the TTSX and is in many ways quite similar to the E-tip; and that 185 grain bullet makes me think it has been tweaked for light game.

Hope that helps.

My guess is that most 338 bullets are tough, so anyone shooting a 338 Federal knows to go with the "fastest" opening, read also: lowest expanding velocity, since most bullets are built for much higher velocity. Add in that some places restrict lead, classic cup and core are out, and you want to ensure expansion to the furthest range you may be presented a shot at.

I'm purely guessing, not trying to speak for another shooter, but if I was restricted to non lead bullets, I'd want to know myself.

To the OP, down-load some rounds of the preferred bullet you want to try, shoot into jugs at 25 yards. Keep going lower, suggest you use 4895 to keep things from going south, which is also a decent powder for the little 338.

160 TTSX don't carry like you would prefer I'm assuming?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Sorry just getting back to you thatguy...I am just "assuming" the 160TTSX wouldn't do what I want, but hey, I am rethinking it. I had a load made up with it and 2000MR that shot 1 inch at 2750fps. I spoke with a Barnes Rep and he said, at that speed, I was good for elk at 400yds easily. I found the TAC load and got .75" with an average 3007fps! So, I really just need to kill some game with it. I'm still checking it out but I have found out that I can have this rifle rechambered/converted to 338 RCM pretty easy. No rush, so it remains an option. Right now, I just need to shoot it more.

Nimrod- I think I would try the 185GMX before the 200 Etip just for that reason. I base that on the only cow elk I took with the 185XLC from a 338WM, but I shot her at 250yds, still got complete penetration and wide wound channel, she stumbled and fell right there. Apples/apple peelings comparison maybe, but I have had no problems with lighter monos. I figure the GMX and TTSX all have tips, gotta help. Lots of fun though..

Back