Which rifles are on your wish list?

DrMike":2fc7wa7z said:
An excellent mix of cartridges, Cheyenne. They will stand you in good stead in the Yukon.

Indeed, and likely anywhere else as well. (y)

Only two on the list.
An 03A3 that hasn't been sporterized.
Another Garand from CMP chambered in 308

Don't need either, including 22s and ARs I have 30 rifles already.

my wish became a purchase order, a 450-400 N.E. Double

Mr Miner. after I get my 450-400, I will be another who will only be using a small number of calibers

6.5 x 55
300 H & H
9.3 x 64
450-400

I enjoy hunting, but both time and money is my enemy, so I decided to only get the rifles I know I will use and to use the rifles I have. But I am very impressed with the number of rifles each of you gentlemen have. I am sure some of the rifles you own have sentimental connections as well.

Best Regards

Jamila

Africa Huntress":2v32r1aa said:
my wish became a purchase order, a 450-400 N.E. Double

Mr Miner. after I get my 450-400, I will be another who will only be using a small number of calibers

6.5 x 55
300 H & H
9.3 x 64
450-400

I enjoy hunting, but both time and money is my enemy, so I decided to only get the rifles I know I will use and to use the rifles I have. But I am very impressed with the number of rifles each of you gentlemen have. I am sure some of the rifles you own have sentimental connections as well.

Best Regards

Jamila

What a nice battery! (y)

As far as what I need, I could hunt almost any game on the planet effectively with my M17 30-06 sporter. Add one of the same build in 9.3x62 and I could take on anything.

I really only have a few that I use a lot for hunting. My .280 rem Mauser, the M17 '06 in bad weather and my Norinco JW15 (CZ 452 copy or vice/versa).22 rf. I think if I hunted brown bear or moose on a regular basis I'd add a heavier thumper, but when you boil it all down, the rest of the rifles are either oriented towards a specific shooting sport or collecting. I'm a "shooting collector," not a "put it in the safe and look at it once a year collector," so I enjoy taking a relic out on the range or occasionally on a hunt or a rifle match and putting some rounds downrange.

Polaris":2lsyu4k2 said:
As far as what I need, I could hunt almost any game on the planet effectively with my M17 30-06 sporter. Add one of the same build in 9.3x62 and I could take on anything.

I really only have a few that I use a lot for hunting. My .280 rem Mauser, the M17 '06 in bad weather and my Norinco JW15 (CZ 452 copy or vice/versa).22 rf. I think if I hunted brown bear or moose on a regular basis I'd add a heavier thumper, but when you boil it all down, the rest of the rifles are either oriented towards a specific shooting sport or collecting. I'm a "shooting collector," not a "put it in the safe and look at it once a year collector," so I enjoy taking a relic out on the range or occasionally on a hunt or a rifle match and putting some rounds downrange.

That's pretty cool.

And yeah, I'd take my M1917 .30-06 & Nosler Partitions for pretty much anything except some of the African big/dangerous game: Elephant, Hippo, cape buff... Maybe lion... Don't know enough about lion, and will never have enough money to feel free to learn more...

Guy

I don't know if I could function with only 5 rifles :lol:

I'll probably build 4-5 for me this year (I know I'll do a 300wm, a 300wsm, a 7-338 Norma Imp, and a 6.5x68 Imp) . I use them as a long term investment and try to keep the wife from actually knowing how much each cost. :mrgreen: I am going to try and build a few less next year to put the $$ towards going to Kodiak since our trip got postponed a year.

I'd like to have another .22 Hornet some day. I had a Krico with double set triggers that was stolen when I was a kid.

A double rifle would be cool. It would be even cooler if I could figure out how to build one. I'm sure that would be a costly and time consuming venture but cool none the less.

A nice Beretta O/U shotgun is a good one for the list also.

One of these days I want to build a rifle with really nice wood. I'm not sure I could hunt with it but I'd still shoot it.

I have several other builds in the planning stages but they are lower on the list and won't happen right away except maybe a 6.5 Creedmoor and another 30-338 Norma Imp. since I have the components to build them.

My safe is pretty much full to overflowing right now, and I don't have enough time to shoot the ones that I've got as often as I'd like. Currently, the collection looks like this:

Custom Oberndorf Mauser sporter, .30-06, made by my wife's grandfather
Mannlicher-Schoenhauer MCA, .30-06
Remington 788, .22-250, inherited from my grandfather
Marlin XS7 .243 (x2)
Mossberg 146B, .22, inherited from my grandfather (plus another one as a parts gun)
Olympic AR-15 A2
Marlin 57M, .22 mag, inherited from my uncle
Soviet SKS, 7.62x39, 1950's vintage
Cabelas Hawken caplock muzzleloader, .50 cal
Traditions Vortek inline muzzleloader, .50 cal
Ted Williams 3T, .22 (same as Winchester 190)

Seems like I might be forgetting something...

Plus a few shotguns and handguns.

The only thing I'd like to add to the collection for the foreseeable future is a Henry .45-70, one of the new models with the color case hardened receiver. It's a beautiful gun, and Henry has a great reputation. A number of the surrounding states that used to be shotgun-only for deer are now allowing straight-wall rifle cartridges, and so this would make a pretty good deer rifle up there.

If I were still buying rifles, I believe I would buy a

Heym 37 drilling (a double 9.3 x 74R over a 12 gauge ) I was lucky enough to own a couple of doubles and even luckier to hunt with them but I never owned a drilling and Heym makes a nice one.

At my age someone else would have to carry it, but that would be o.k..

I am sure some here have the 22 hornet or 22 over a 20 or 12 gauge but does anyone have a drilling and have you used it or is it just a collectable. ?

Europe":1wv7an6l said:
If I were still buying rifles, I believe I would buy a

Heym 37 drilling (a double 9.3 x 74R over a 12 gauge ) I was lucky enough to own a couple of doubles and even luckier to hunt with them but I never owned a drilling and Heym makes a nice one.

At my age someone else would have to carry it, but that would be o.k..

I am sure some here have the 22 hornet or 22 over a 20 or 12 gauge but does anyone have a drilling and have you used it or is it just a collectable. ?

Did Winchester make drillings :lol: :lol: :lol:

for me it's the guns I wish I had not sold.
I had a BRNO Mauser .308 Norma bench rifle with a nice myrtle wood thumbhole stock...never shot it! A .44 mag Bisley Blackhawk. An old tang safety M77 varmint in 22-250. And finally, An Antonio Zoli 12 ga O/U with vent ribs and color case hardened receiver.

There are others, but these stand out as mistakes. I have declared I will not sell anymore of my guns.

D

dsnook":qphq1hux said:
for me it's the guns I wish I had not sold.
I had a BRNO Mauser .308 Norma bench rifle with a nice myrtle wood thumbhole stock...never shot it! A .44 mag Bisley Blackhawk. An old tang safety M77 varmint in 22-250. And finally, An Antonio Zoli 12 ga O/U with vent ribs and color case hardened receiver.

There are others, but these stand out as mistakes. I have declared I will not sell anymore of my guns.

D
I understand your thinking. It's been years since I sold any of mine, and the few that I did sell were in order to move up to something better. I have a hard time letting go of any of them.

bb66, I always sold mine so I could afford another, the problem is a lot of the times the new one wasn't as good as the one it replaced.
The good news is the M77 22-250 is owned by my elk hunting buddy, so I can shoot it whenever I want. He just put a Shilen barrel on it!

D

thank you Dr Mike and Mr Miner

Rigbymauser,

Aus zwei Gründen

If I were to get a drilling, which I will not, I prefer the rifle barrels to be on top, not the bottom. I also prefer to have two rifle barrels and one shotgun barrel, not the other way around.

April. I used a friends drilling once and as you mentioned found the weight to be, at least for me, unmanageable. I will pass.

Scotty, maybe LOL

Best Regards

Jamila

Jamila:
The Drilling for me has always for me been a pretty weapon, but I have never had much use for one either. Too clumsy for my use.

Like you I have also got myself a doublerifle. A hammerless George Gibbs originally in .450Nitro 3,25". The gun was rechambered(resleeved) by Rigby sometime in the 70s to .458Win. However I will have the gun reamed out to again to become a .450Nitro EX

Back