Which rifles are on your wish list?

With all the rifle cranks we have on this forum, I am assuming the last post by Gil somehow went unnoticed.

That is fantastic Gil !!!! great additions to your already large stable of rifles. With all due respect, you should have looked for a Win 348, unless you prefer to scope the 348 and then the Browning works perfect. The Browning may be even better than the Win, but I am partial to the original.

as an aside Gil. Remember what I told you off the forum we were doing--good news--we saw a beautiful pack of 9 and a smaller pack of 4. Both packs looked healthy. My guests were pleased. They ask if we could fly from the island to Greenland--but we did not have the proper paperwork to do so, they ask who cares--Greenland cares LOL

:). While I’m a rifle/shotgun/handgun crank...I try to limit myself to a gun a year.

That said, I’m excited to be picking up a Marlin lever in 45/70.

I’m with you on being lawful. Who cares... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was able to scratch a couple of itches this year.

I had always wanted a 444 Marlin. Don't know why, I just did. I found one made in 1970 with the monte carlo stock and the inlaid medallion. it shoots very well, and I plan to hunt deer with it this fall.

I had also wanted a 1894 Marlin in either 357 or 44 Mag. I used to own one in 357 but sold it and have missed it ever since. I located a newer manufactured 44 in good shape with nice wood.

I also picked up a Tikka CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor, the version with the 24 inch barrel. I have long been a fan of Tikka rifles and own a bunch of them but had always wanted one of these to play with off a bench. I have not been disappointed. 142 Sierra Matchkings over 41.5 grains of RL-17 gives me 2800 fps, with single digit SD's and half inch groups at a 100 yds. I haven't had the opportunity to shoot it at a longer distance yet. Friends are amazed at how easy it is to shoot good groups with a rifle they are unfamiliar with.

Ron

Just one, 7x57 Blaser, but I will need to sell my other guns to afford it.
I figure if you need more than one shot to kill an ungulate you shouldn't be shooting :lol:
Blkram":2lzbthdc said:
Found myself thinking of some of the rifles that I have been wishing to find over the years, as well as some that I have been learning about and am now hoping find.

Perhaps someone here knows where the following rifles can be found?

Or wants to share their wish list?

My list includes:

1) Winchester Model 88 in 284 Win, or
2) Browning BLR in 284 Win
3) Ruger No. 1 RSI in 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser
4) Ruger M77 RSI in 250 Savage in either the 1984 blued version or the Lipsey's 2009 stainless version
5) Ruger 10/22 Mannlicher stainless black laminated
6) Sako Vixen 221 Fireball
7) Marlin l/a in 356 Win
8) Marlin l/a in 41 Rem Mag

35 Whelen":f3ofn8xr said:
I still have my old faithful, Model 70 Stainless (pre 64 action, 30 Govt) I bought new in 1990 that has been with me all
over North America and never let me down from Alaska to Labrador, California to Maine, from 150gr/ thru 220grs; from gophers to grizzly it has performed flawlessly at -35 below thru 90 degrees. It's hit everything but the daily double, and though I have never considered it an over 300 yd rifle , I am
going to load up some of the new AccuBond LR 190 gr bullets and that could change!

Let’s see a picture of that one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You got it! I will post a pic later today, the gun is compleately original in all ways. This perticular model was called the " All Terrian" and was a SS Featherweight barreled action with a black synthetic
stock. I think I paid around $ 500 for it at a gunshow
at Egan Center in Anchorage circa fall 1989 when they were first introduced the AT models with their famous " pre 64" actions.
It was common back then to tie it onto the wing strut of our Super Cub in a leather scabard
In August and it stayed there 24/7 until November. It had a Vx3 Leupold on it for about 15 years, around 15 years ago I recieved a Ziess Conquest, as a gift from a girlfriend.Back when they were still built in Germany. I had always admired the European "heavier" #4 style reticles for fast target acquisition, and extreamely low light conditions. So the Ziess has served me as well as the
rifle has. Its really about as close as a perfect all around set up as I have handled.20191124_100630.jpg
20191124_100728.jpg

Here is my other Model 70.
The 150th Anniversary in 270. Super Grade Featherweight. It weighes nearly a pound more
than my old one! Black Walnut with heavy marbling
Is NOT light!20191124_101031~2.jpg
Beautiful but not practical .......

Present day daily rifle is a Finnlite with the Vx6 Leupold 2x12. Extreame light weight. Fantastic stock. Super nice but really NOT worth the $3k plus, this would cost........20191124_102152.jpg
I sold my Tikka T3 that shot 1/2" groups right out of the box to buy the Sako. On a good day even though it cost DOUBLE its a 3/4" gun............ Oh well.

35 Whelen":2dff4mfo said:
Here is my other Model 70.
The 150th Anniversary in 270. Super Grade Featherweight. It weighes nearly a pound more
than my old one! Black Walnut with heavy marbling
Is NOT light!
Beautiful but not practical .......

Yes, and mighty handsome it is! Great acquisition, if only for the beauty of the rifle. However, being in a classic cartridge, that is all the better. (y)

Nice rifles!
Beautiful wood on that 270! May be heavier, while it may not be your "old faithful rifle that the '06 is, I'm sure there'll be times and places where you will take it hunting and get to admire it while sitting, waiting for some big game animal to wander by! Or as mentioned in another thread, some fine evening sitting at home by the fire with a good beverage and holding it and admiring its' beautiful wood.
The Sako may not be accurate as your Tikka was, but that is a very nice set up!
3/4" rifles are still a pleasure to shoot and hunt with! As it is your everyday stalking rifle, I am sure that it has been a pleasure to shoot and hunt with and is earning its' keep! Building memories too!

I may be looking for something to replace my 280 AI that was recently confiscated.
Hard to believe it but it happened to me!
My daughter Danielle took it and is deer hunting with it.
She loves it so looks like I'm in trouble now.

JD338

Attachments

• 073.jpg
    073.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 4,043
Confiscated? OR inherited! LOL
At least it went to someone special!

Jim,
You sound like my late uncle Wes,
My aunt Joyce used to say " I guess Weston
has bought "me another gun" so I think I have
around 30 now!
Though I never knew of her to actually fire a gun
she always "tagged" a buck every year"......

Thanks all those compliments. The scope on the Sako is an old "Scotty hand me down"
I wait till he is tired of his latest accusations, and in a weak moment, then hit him when he is NOT expecting it, as I am certain I could never take him in a fair fight ( Or trade) lol

Proud new owner...

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20191124_155805135.jpg
    IMG_20191124_155805135.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 155
When I can afford it, rifles chambered for 28 & 33 Nosler are on the list. Thinking about the 28 from Browning or Christensen. Haven't decided what brand to get the 33 from. I already have a Nosler M48 Heritage (26) and the M48 Liberty (30).

Back