Who has 33 Nosler test results?

thatguySHM":rqe9zpil said:
Fireforming and the cost of 338 bullets. About it. I haven't found brass grows much.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

That’s good.

My thoughts are,
I must reload for those anyway, so why not get it all?

I’m a sucker for efficient cases, the .260 Remington being 1.

I’ll also have a .280AI one day for the same reason.

Haha well do a Google search for the 338 Sherman then, tell me what you think then. I think whatever you go with you'll like it. Keep us posted which route you go!

I would add the .338 Jarrett to the build list. Basically an 8mm Remington improved and necked up. About 2 grains more capacity than a 340 bee.
Brass is getting to be a bit of a pain.
85.6 gr rl 26 yields 2949 FPS with a SD of 7.9
88 gr H1000 yields 2949 FPS SD 4.8
The rifle is 9 pounds with sling and loaded.
Mine has a 26 inch bbl. I wouldn't want it any longer for poking through the timber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hseII":3u65q70o said:
thatguySHM":3u65q70o said:
What will you be hunting with the rifle? Weight goal? Distances you plan on hunting?

Elk & Moose, maybe a bear or 2.

Just an all around Big Thumper.

I’d considered a .35 W AI, a 338/06AI, but I want to push the heavies reasonably fast & grow my distance skills.

A few friends use .338W, but there’s better choices these days, although there is much to be said for off the shelf ammo when your luggage gets separated.

Id just be careful at how much you emphasize shooting at distance vs a pure hunting rifle. A heavy barreled, thick stocked 338 is going to be awesome on the range and less awesome in the hills after elk. It’s easy to think it could be both and maybe for you it can but I’ve seen a few hunters with Sendero like rifles grow to despise them after climbing 1K-2K feet a day.

All those big cases do put some speed on the heavies. There is no shaking that. A 3.6” 338 is mighty close to them realistically if it is throated correctly. I’d pick the bullet you plan to use and build around it. The case will dictate itself once you set your parameters of distance and speed at your targeted range.

Good luck with the build. Salmon chasers 338 is probably the king of the mountain where he hunts. Ain’t nothing a 250 AccuBond at 2900 won’t solve here in NA.

thatguySHM":1qiwo2sw said:
Haha well do a Google search for the 338 Sherman then, tell me what you think then. I think whatever you go with you'll like it. Keep us posted which route you go!

I’ve talked to Rich a few times: I’m now officially considering a .338 Sherman.

I believe him & folks that shoot it, but it defies logic.

Honest .338WM Velocities our of a .270 Win/ .280 Rem Case.

I’m going to wait a few more weeks before deciding.

SJB358":11hhy3i7 said:
hseII":11hhy3i7 said:
thatguySHM":11hhy3i7 said:
What will you be hunting with the rifle? Weight goal? Distances you plan on hunting?

Elk & Moose, maybe a bear or 2.

Just an all around Big Thumper.

I’d considered a .35 W AI, a 338/06AI, but I want to push the heavies reasonably fast & grow my distance skills.

A few friends use .338W, but there’s better choices these days, although there is much to be said for off the shelf ammo when your luggage gets separated.

Id just be careful at how much you emphasize shooting at distance vs a pure hunting rifle. A heavy barreled, thick stocked 338 is going to be awesome on the range and less awesome in the hills after elk. It’s easy to think it could be both and maybe for you it can but I’ve seen a few hunters with Sendero like rifles grow to despise them after climbing 1K-2K feet a day.

All those big cases do put some speed on the heavies. There is no shaking that. A 3.6” 338 is mighty close to them realistically if it is throated correctly. I’d pick the bullet you plan to use and build around it. The case will dictate itself once you set your parameters of distance and speed at your targeted range.

Good luck with the build. Salmon chasers 338 is probably the king of the mountain where he hunts. Ain’t nothing a 250 AccuBond at 2900 won’t solve here in NA.

That’s my End Goal.

A 250/265 AccuBond around 2850ish.

I don’t think any critter will live to complain about the head stamp unless they put on their Kevlar fur that morning.

salmonchaser":2z8nn403 said:
I would add the .338 Jarrett to the build list. Basically an 8mm Remington improved and necked up. About 2 grains more capacity than a 340 bee.
Brass is getting to be a bit of a pain.
85.6 gr rl 26 yields 2949 FPS with a SD of 7.9
88 gr H1000 yields 2949 FPS SD 4.8
The rifle is 9 pounds with sling and loaded.
Mine has a 26 inch bbl. I wouldn't want it any longer for poking through the timber.

I looked into that one back last winter, but the Brass issue kind of put me off.

I plan on handing this one down to my mirror image 8yr Old when I get too old to shoot it: Provided he can run a LH rifle. [emoji38]

Hopefully by then he can handle any .338.

Plus, it’s Belted.

I’m more of a suspenders kind of Fellow as of late.

I buy a box of Nosler 8mm brass every year as a Christmas present to myself. I feel the need to hoard it. I haven't been able to buy any Remington brass in years.
Necking down 375 HH works but it's more work and the necks end up pretty short.
Good luck with your build.

salmonchaser":3s4l9ns6 said:
I buy a box of Nosler 8mm brass every year as a Christmas present to myself. I feel the need to hoard it. I haven't been able to buy any Remington brass in years.
Necking down 375 HH works but it's more work and the necks end up pretty short.
Good luck with your build.

Thank You for the Advise.

RiverMan":56rg0jsc said:
Who’s got some real chrono numbers on their 33 nosler? From looking at the published load data online I’m not seeing it out perform the 338 lapua as claimed. I’ve got one on order and am jonesing for some real world numbers.

Please forgive me for the derail.

33 Nosler Info Anyone?

The 33 Nosler is a great round for a light rifle build. I bought a Tikka T-3 and had it re-barreled to 33 Nosler and had the 26 in. barrel turned down to a smaller diameter and a muzzle break added. It weighs 7.5 lbs with a 13 oz. scope on it. It shoots half inch groups with 210 gr Sciroccos at 3177 fps and 225 gr Nosler Accubonds at 3007 fps. It's my go to rifle now. I still have a 338 Win that's about 100 to 150 fps slower and 3/4 lb heavier to carry with a lighter scope and 24 in barrel.
I had a 338 Rem Ultra mag and it shot 225 gr Accubonds at 3130 fps. It weighed just over 8 lbs. I shot the barrel out and wanted somthing lighter.
Good Luck. I think you'll be happy with the 33.

Greg Nolan":iij4mr4i said:
The 33 Nosler is a great round for a light rifle build. I bought a Tikka T-3 and had it re-barreled to 33 Nosler and had the 26 in. barrel turned down to a smaller diameter and a muzzle break added. It weighs 7.5 lbs with a 13 oz. scope on it. It shoots half inch groups with 210 gr Sciroccos at 3177 fps and 225 gr Nosler Accubonds at 3007 fps. It's my go to rifle now. I still have a 338 Win that's about 100 to 150 fps slower and 3/4 lb heavier to carry with a lighter scope and 24 in barrel.
I had a 338 Rem Ultra mag and it shot 225 gr Accubonds at 3130 fps. It weighed just over 8 lbs. I shot the barrel out and wanted somthing lighter.
Good Luck. I think you'll be happy with the 33.

Did you test the 265 AccuBond long ranges? From your post it seems like the load data they have online is reasonably accurate for velocities. I’m hoping for a decent shooting 265 load at about 2750. Anyone on here been shooting these?

Back