Who uses an ogive measurey thingy?

Sinclair comparator here. I won't go back to OAL
It's only a consideration as far as magazine length for me.

pharmseller":22jx6kq3 said:
Yeeha, Santa brought me one for Christmas. I love it!

P

I use one for everything. Dealing with 2nds kinda forced me to go that way. It seems a lot easier to be more consistent.

Glad you got one.

I do sometimes, if I have to load for a short magazine where I will have a lot of jump to the rifling, no. I load them to work reliably through the magazine. In my Mod 700 LA I use them.

you'll be glad you have one . your COAL will be much more consistant measuring off the ogive as compared to measuring off the tip . my next advice is to be sure you're using the correct size bushing . I have a recipe or two that has , or had , COAL using the 7mm bushing , but it's not a 7mm cartridge .

The ogive comparator and the headspace gauge are probably the the best thing I have bought for reloading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr. Vette":3l1gjttb said:
I use one for most loads. My 35 Rem is the exception as so far I've only used one type of bullet, and once I set the COAL I haven't touched the seating die.

I usually measure each load after getting them to about .010-.020 of final, then use the micrometer seating die to get each one exactly like the others. Most of the cartridges I load for I've gotten the micrometer seater, and it really works. If I don't have one, I will still verify length to the ogive when I start a new box of bullets, and adjust accordingly.

I just used up my first 500 rem 200 grain CLRN bullets. My seating has not changed in ten years till I opened the next lot of 500 bullets. Both the OCL at the nose and ogive were .020" longer and that would have put the bullet hard into the lands. This is the only bullet I have loaded in my 35 Rem, @2180 fps it simply hits hard. I have not yet recovered a bullet from deer or pigs it goes straight through. Distance to the lands is some thing you need to know for each rifle.

Darkhorse":6fcf3zqc said:
I use the Hornady bullet comparator. I've been using it for about 20 years. I like tight groups and this the only way to truly know where the ogive is in relationship to your rifleing. I haven't used the OAL for serious loading for years.

^^this^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G'Day Fella's,

Pharmseller, I have and use both of the comparator types that http://www.sinclairintl.com sell.
The Hex nut type (part# 749-002-942WS)and the Granite block one (part# 749-011-469WS) as well and they are both very good for confirming specs (the granite block version, is just a lot faster to use).
I only do this for a couple of Long Ranger rifles though.

The funny thing is, Nosler bullets are probably the most consistent (each batch, are made on just one press?), of the major bullet makers, rather than blended from 2 or 3 presses!
Thank You again Mr Nosler, you are The Best!

Happy New Year and Best Wishes for 2017
Homer

Back