Who's hunting with a lever-action this year?

What a thing of beauty! A Savage 99, and a freshly harvested buck by a Savage 99 weilder!
Can't get any better than that!

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

E that is a very nice lever action, I have a good friend that has one in a 300 he has used it in the bush for years and has always been reliable :wink:.
Thanks for the photo (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Well after a very wet chase that involved great gobs of heavy wet snow coming down all over me for nearly 2hrs
of zig zaging all over every knoll enroute the old boy finally
decided he had had enough of me............ I knew we were getting close to the stream and he was going across it to
Ditch me! So I just started to run on the track to see if I could catch him coming up on the far side.........
Well as I finally busted through the alders and saw where he had drug out on the other side, got a glimpse of him at bout 250yds just as he made the green woods ....... Didnt even have time to raise the old 99....... Here is where we parted company. There is no way to get across there in high water except the same way he did!20181110_071124~2.jpg
He is a beautiful heavy racked buck.......he and I have tangled before and this wont be the last time either!

He definitely sounds as if he is a worthy opponent. You have to respect an old buck like that. Great account of what hunting is all about!

Tnx Guy!
Doc;
He is getting to be 5/6 years old now. He is in 100X
Better shape than I am ( too much hot apple pie for me)
It appears he is at least twice as smart as I am, and knows
the country 10x better than I do........... In short: "His momma never raised no fools" !
Here are some sheds found in same area that look to be similar to what he is sporting!bignt_zps642a5b07.jpg

WOW! That looks like a damned horse of a buck E.. You sure you don't need to borrow my moose rifle? :mrgreen:

Well, for sure I wouldn't be using a .270! Bullets would just bounce off that horse! :mrgreen: Yeah, the sheds reveal an animal with some fantastic headgear.

DrMike":1xaeq72i said:
Well, for sure I wouldn't be using a .270! Bullets would just bounce off that horse! :mrgreen: Yeah, the sheds reveal an animal with some fantastic headgear.

Dang, that is my moose rifle.. :lol:

DrMike":1fwjid4o said:
Looks like it's time for a Good Ol' Marlin 1895 .45/70 with Hornady Leverevolution 325 gr bullets to take that Monster Buck!
[emoji1]

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Massive antlers!

I hope you catch that ol' boy with a bullet one of these days! He's had plenty of time to spread his big-antler genes throughout the population... :)

Guy

35 Whelen":3urizkcz said:
Well after a very wet chase that involved great gobs of heavy wet snow coming down all over me for nearly 2hrs
decided he had had enough of me............ I knew we were getting close to the stream and he was going across it to
Ditch me! So I just started to run on the track to see if I could catch him coming up on the far side.........
Well as I finally busted through the alders and saw where he had drug out on the other side, got a glimpse of him at bout 250yds just as he made the green woods ....... Didnt even have time to raise the old 99....... Here is where we parted company. There is no way to get across there in high water except the same way he did!
He is a beautiful heavy racked buck.......he and I have tangled before and this wont be the last time either!

Earle, you need one of those 4 wheelers that is also capable of being a boat, I forget what they are called. not to worry you will get him, however he appears to be a worthy adversary which just makes the entire game that much better--good luck

Europe":3d3sgpvj said:
35 Whelen":3d3sgpvj said:
Well as I finally busted through the alders and saw where he had drug out on the other side, got a glimpse of him at bout 250yds just as he made the green woods ....... Didnt even have time to raise the old 99....... Here is where we parted company. There is no way to get across there in high water except the same way he did!

Earle, you need one of those 4 wheelers that is also capable of being a boat, I forget what they are called. not to worry you will get him, however he appears to be a worthy adversary which just makes the entire game that much better--good luck

Are you thinking of the Argo, Dan? It's a six-wheeler or an eight-wheeler (depending on the configuration).

I dont know if Dan was thinking this way or not Dr Mike, but that is exactly what I had in mind. Thank you for the name. I never had one --does anybody, are they as good as they look ?

They are fairly high maintenance, but they do work. They are somewhat pricey, as well. At least, that is my estimate. On the other hand, if you have need of one, they are worth every farthing.

Europe":tfn17bvo said:
I dont know if Dan was thinking this way or not Dr Mike, but that is exactly what I had in mind. Thank you for the name. I never had one --does anybody, are they as good as they look ?

A buddy of mine has one...very, very high maintenance machines but the capability is unmatched. A heavy winch is required because the worst terrain is swamp- it's too soft to run on tires and too hard to float on.

They are also fairly bone jarring- the only suspension is the 3psi of air in the tires! But they will go anywhere you'd ever dream of rolling something.

There was an Ampi-cat six wheeler I. The 70’s. You drove it like a tank. Two sticks, forward for go, pull back for reverse, or one in each direction to spin really fast like when I was 12. I need one again....

And a Model 99 in a Sav300AI.

[emoji1]
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Found this guy in the dark this morning, and then had to wait him out until it got light enough to see if he had antlers. I was pretty sure he was a buck hanging in the brush by the river, but wasn't very confident he'd stick around long enough for us to find out. Just as it got light enough, a doe moved into view and he moved into the open to investigate. My daughter watched it all unfold and then made a nice shot with her grandad's .308 model 99. Pretty excited girl with her first deer!

nkY3RFT.jpg

CKWrXaZ.jpg

Now, that is super cool! Congratulations to your daughter for tagging a fine animal. Those pictures are priceless, revealing as they do her smile.

Back