Why I love Nosler bullets

lefty315

Handloader
Sep 29, 2004
So I picked up a Remington model 7 in .243 for my daughter. Never owned one before and I couldn't wait to shoot it. I couldn't find any Nosler bullets to load so I picked up another brand. Moderately finicky would describe how they shot, after playing with powder and seating depths.

About two weeks ago I bummed 6 90 grain BT's from a neighbor. Threw them in a case over IMR 4350 and got a 5/8ths inch group.

This week I traded off some Nosler 280 brass to WVCHEVY3 for some 90 grain Accubonds and 95 grain Ballistic Tips.

In the low 2900's gave me 1/2 inch group from 43 grains of IMR 4350. 43.5 grains gave me one ragged hole.

Other than the 150 LRAB in my 280, I've never found a Nosler bullet I couldn't get to shoot!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    848 KB · Views: 403
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    756.5 KB · Views: 403
G'Day Fella's,

Lefty, my experience is basically the same as yours!
If I have a rifle that won't shoot Nosler bullets, I start looking for action bedding etc problems!!!

Doh!
Homer

Ballistic Tips or Gamekings.

One or the other. If a rifle won't shoot those well, it usually won't shoot. In my experience.

Guy

That is the same combo i shoot in my .243. 95gr Bt and Imr 4350.... with same results.It is an awesome combo.Lee

IMR 4350 was always my go to powder for the 243 Win.
Nice work

JD338

Very nice! Yeah, I shoot alot of Noslers and haven't really had much trouble with any of them. You gotta love a sweet shooting 243. Just a fun rifle to shoot. Feels like a BB gun when you get used to shooting boomers all the time. Really is alot of fun.

wvchevy3":3n8j9jzt said:
That is the same combo i shoot in my .243. 95gr Bt and Imr 4350.... with same results.It is an awesome combo.Lee

My daughter took her first deer at age 9 with that same combo. :)

So like every load I come up with it's not written in my data book until I can confirm the load will repeat. I went back out to the range today and took the two above loads (43 and 43.5 grains of IMR 4350) out to 200 yards.

I'm pretty damned happy how it shot. Considering I'm using a 2-7 Redfield where the crosshairs completely cover a 3/4 inch orange dot at 100 yards. Here's a photo of the 200 yard group.

I was also playing around with H4895. 35.5 grains gave me 2800 fps into a tiny little hole about .35 inches in total diameter. I figured this will be a great load to start my daughter on and be potent enough to kill deer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 283
That H 4895 load will be perfect for a youth load and sounds like the accuracy can't be beat.

Very nice Lefty.. The 243 usually makes a great shooter. I love messing around with the lighter loads in it. The kids like them and I love to shoot em!

When my son was 12 and could start hunting, I was able to get him a 243 in a BDL :). I should have never sold that rifle it was around .5MOA with just about any Nosler bullet you tried in it.
You sometimes get a little smrter a little to late :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

Back