Will it work?

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
I know it has been discussed too many times, since I ran out of Ballistic Tips for the .308 that I use for deer hunting which is my go to hunting bullet.
I have 5 boxes of the 178 ELD-M and wondering if the bullet can hold together if placement will be double lung shots only, its where I always place my bullets. Muzzle speed is 2725 fps.
I don't shoot on heavy bone or shoulders. I guess it will be expand like an A-Max bullet.

I know some will say " Use a hunting bullet for hunting". :mrgreen: There is a difference if shooting through thin skin / lungs and shooting through shoulder / heavy bone. Some folks here says the heavier weight of a slow moving ELD-M projectile will work if staying off bones, than the fast and lighter ELD-M's which is easier to fragment on bone. This is my first ELD-M I like to try.

Mark,
I haven't used that bullet but I would send a couple into some water jugs to get an idea of what you can expect.

JD338

That is some decent speed from a 308 with that weight!
If you stay off the shoulder, it will work.
I would go lighter with something like the AB, but that's just me. Maybe because I can't always make sure I don't hit the shoulder...

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

noslerpartition":3kb4fxd8 said:
That is some decent speed from a 308 with that weight!
If you stay off the shoulder, it will work.
I would go lighter with something like the AB, but that's just me. Maybe because I can't always make sure I don't hit the shoulder...

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

Using Varget 43.7 grains, Lapua brass, Fed210M and 26 inch barrel.

remingtonman_25_06":bpx9ndwt said:
They'll work perfectly fine at that speed for lung shots.

Easy peasy...

I’m with Jim, put one into jugs...

SJB358":1qdb4pl8 said:
remingtonman_25_06":1qdb4pl8 said:

Easy peasy...

If I had more than two jugs, I would have done it by now. I will need to drink more milk. :mrgreen: It's too late to try now, since deer season starts this weekend. Hopefully try some water jug tests one of these days.

TackDriver284":2alu1bc3 said:
SJB358":2alu1bc3 said:
remingtonman_25_06":2alu1bc3 said:

Easy peasy...

If I had more than two jugs, I would have done it by now. I will need to drink more milk. :mrgreen: It's too late to try now, since deer season starts this weekend. Hopefully try some water jug tests one of these days.

I cheat once in awhile and grab those .80-1 buck water jugs from the grocery store now and again.

I wouldn’t be worried a bit though. That’s still a pile of mass and it’s not like you’re launching it from a 300 RUM.

Back