Winchester 70 Good News Bad News

ldg397

Handloader
Sep 27, 2007
Just bought a Winchester 70 classic stainless in 30-06 for $425 score. Bad news it has black spots all over the barrel from the forend forward looks like mold but I assume it is rust spots, doesn't come off with oil. I made them take it completely apart to inspect. Action looks fine and barrel inside stock looks fine and inside the barrel looks good also. Will need a new crown but otherwise pretty good shape except these spots. Thought worst case I could sand it down and then cerekote the whole rifle. Has anyone had any experience with this before and know what might remove them?

I will add pics when I get home. Never thought about blood. It could be it looks black in color not orange.

Just bead blast it. That's the beauty of stainless. Five minutes in a blast cabinet and it will look brand new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not have easy access to a bead blast operation so I would try "FLITZ" first. It is a mild abrasive that has worked well for me in the past. Good luck and nice find.

Here is the picture. Blood wood explain why it is only on surfaces you can see. Not inside barrel or underneath action.

Attachments

• IMG_0968.JPG
    IMG_0968.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,275
How does it shoot? The cosmetic blemishes are annoying, but performance and dependability are far more important to me. Polish them up, and go hunting, that"s the objective.

ldg397":21nybxsf said:
Here is the picture. Blood wood explain why it is only on surfaces you can see. Not inside barrel or underneath action.

That looks like blood. It's worse on a blued firearm than stainless, but a little steel wool should clean it right up. If it's deep, just scrub it down and Cerakote it...or just use as is. The effect blood has on steel isn't unlike bluing salts.

Don't know how it shoots just bought it today. I am going to get the trigger done and a barrel recrown and I usually upgrade to a Williams extractor on these and see if it shoots. If it does I will figure out whether to bead blast or cerakote. If not I got it at a low enough price to spin a new barrel on.

I will try to take it off in the meantime with steel wool or something. I was more worried about it when I thought it was rust.

To bead blast, you need need media that has not been used to blast steel, otherwise you will get rust-colored specks.

Check with your gunsmith to see if they bead blast stainless, and what the charge would be.

Any gunsmith should be able to bear blast for a nominal fee. Get it done while your getting the trigger fixed up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clearly a defect you shouldn't live with. Send it to me and you won't have to look at it.

Back