Winchester 7x57 2nd Outing

ColColt

Handloader
Apr 27, 2014
I just got back from the range and wanted to share some groups I got with this rifle several hours ago. I was quite pleased with them and wish I had bought at least a dozen of the older style Nosler 140 gr PT bullets. The actually gave me some of the best groups I got today.

The top group is actually three shots with the 140 gr Partition bullet. It measured 7/16" Below the 160 gr AB's didn't do bad at all either. Someone else mistakenly shot my other target to the left and I had to print both of these on the same target. I moved 16 clicks down which was nearly a bit too far.

Since I had five rounds of the 140 gr bullet I later shot the other two at this target.

This three shot group from the 160 gr AB bullet.

I think I've found my loads for these bullets. :) I'll have to try the newer 140 gr PT bullets to see how they perform in comparison with the old style.

i was tickled pink. This is the second time I've been able to get to the range since May due to the operation and was most pleased in the rifle/bullet combination. It seems to show a distinct preference for IMR 4350 over the RL-19 I tried so, I'm sticking with that.

Last time I was out with the rifle about ten days ago I couldn't shoot that well. I checked the trigger and it was a tad over 4 pounds. I decided to take it apart and after finally getting that hard goop off the trigger adjustment screw I changed it to 3 pounds...made a big difference.

You have every reason to be pleased. Yeah, adjusting trigger pull nearer to three pounds makes a big difference in accuracy for most of us.

Never had any intentions of selling that one. This one and the '52 Winchester 270 are two that I've never part with...well, I have to include my JOC Tribute Deluxe 270 also.

I had one of those in my hands Super Grade miss marked and even took pictures of it but low and behold I walked away without buying it ?,think I hit my head as my brain was saying buy it ASAP and my legs were saying walk off which was a huge mistake! She was a Beauty!

I have made several mistakes like this but no many recently !!

Most have gorgeous wood...I like mine pretty well. :) A little eye candy...

Very handsome, Col. Hey, did anyone ever tell you that you have more than a passing resemblance to JOC? :shock:

Those are beauties.....very nice shooting, too. I just had my Supergrade (SC-made) out to the range on Sunday and was well-pleased with it. They are great shooters.

Very handsome, Col. Hey, did anyone ever tell you that you have more than a passing resemblance to JOC? :shock:

The first time I was told that was at the range about six months ago. I'll sure never be half the hunter he was, unfortunately.

I was a little unsure about how we'll any of us was going to do out there today. The fog didn't lift entirely until about an hour after I got there and that was about 11:00 but, you could see up to 200 yards ok just not as well had they're not been any.

I've read more times than one how Eleanor O'Connor was actually a better shot than Jack was. She was ol' death and destruction with her 7x57. I remember an article in the March 1968 edition of Outdoor life in Jack's monthly article on "Shooting" and the title was something like, "30 year Elk Hunt". Don't ask me how I remember that particular one...probably because I just reread it the other night. :) Toward the end of one of the most interesting articles I'd seen from him one of the guides remarks how well she shot. Apparently, an Elk was about 175 yards away when she shot him and then shot again. They went over to him and the guide told of what a great shot the little lady was putting two holes in the elk two inches apart at 175 yards. Now, that's my kind of gal.

You aren't kidding. The 7x57 is nice to shoot as well. Very fond of the cartridge.

I think your JOC stock must of come from the same tree as mine.

Winchester_Model_70_Jack_O_Connor_Tribute_270_WCF.JPG

Sure looks like it could have. I'm wondering if anyone has that special case that has Lewiston spelled correctly. Mine is misspelled like yours and all others I've seen.

My case is more of a Khaki color.

Back