Winchester model 94 in .32 special

big rifle man

Handloader
Dec 21, 2005
I sort of gave up looking for this particular rifle. Saw them listed occasionally on gunbroker for ridiculous prices and could never find one at the many gunshows I've attended. This past weekend I attended our local (once every 4-6 month) gunshow and went by a table with a sign "private sales". That always grabs my interest. Well, low and behold, sitting on the table was a model 94, in good condition, (some bluing wear, but no rust). I asked for permission to examine and found it to be in .32 special. I checked the bore which was perfect and then asked "what's the price" expecting to hear a number that would dissuade me. The owner said $600.00. Hmmm. I told him I was somewhat interested. After some back and forth I walked out of the show $550.00 poorer. Did a clean up when I returned home and have to say the insides are perfect. The previous owner was a rancher who carried it but never used it. Once in awhile everything falls into place.

Nice, hope you have lots of fun shooting it. Speer and Hornady make bullets, anyone else?

Had a friend back in high school who carried one, deer killing son of a gun. If memory serves any 32 special is fairly old and collectable. Congratulations.

Those I've shot or watched being shot delivered surprising accuracy. I'd say you did quite well. Congratulations.

This is one I have always had a soft spot for too.

Wish Marlin or Baco would bring these back for a limited edition.

I would rather have the Model 64 style with the 2/3 magazine and pistol grip.

If you plan to handload, make sure to mic your bullets.

I have heard some of the reputation this round has for not shooting as straight comes from (.318"-.319") undersized bullets.

They should be in the .321" range.

I have/had a .32 Spec Model 94 which I bought at a show in 1972 for $200. After carrying it around for 40 years and shooting a few deer with it, I gave it to my son last year. He, like you, had been looking for one (in Washington state) for years. They are not common here, not like in Maine, where they were popular. His is a 1947, long forend, flat band, 100% original, about 90% condition, great bore, no rust.

Congrats on a great find- what a neat rifle. These were more common (but not exactly common) in TN but I've only seen a single example in AK- from a guy who lived in PA and hunted Maine for most of his life.

On paper I can't say it's a lick better than an .30-30, but everyone seemed to think so.

Well the .32 Spec is .020 larger bore than the 30/30 and usually with factory ammo will out run a 30/30, 170 grain by about 150 fps. This to me is a notable power increase. My history with whitetails and using both calibers, the .32 Spec is a better killer of deer. At least to the end of harvesting deer shot with both, within 100yards. I would choose the .32 Spec every time.

My grandpa has a M94 32 Winchester Special. Pretty slick rifle.

Pictures would be cool if you can BRM.

Would not trade my pre-64 32 Special for the world. Still looks new

Attachments

• win32.jpg
    win32.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 8,781
I'm not sure what happened to my father-in-law's beautiful old '94 .30-30 after he passed away... Really nice gun, looks about like your .32 Fotis. He got it back in the early 1960's when Winchester was still making them real nice.

I think one of his sons has it, but they're not talking. I don't get it. People get weird about inherited guns.

Guy

I just outfitted with a peep site. With 170 gr bullets and and lever evolution powder I could literally hit a paper plate every time at 200 yards

FOTIS":2s2ay6ln said:
I just outfitted with a peep site. With 170 gr bullets and and lever evolution powder I could literally hit a paper plate every time at 200 yards

So it's pretty AND it shoots? Dang... (y)

Guy Miner":jra3wqo3 said:
FOTIS":jra3wqo3 said:

So it's pretty AND it shoots? Dang... (y)

Some guys get all the luck..... :) Very nice CL

Back