Marlin model 39A

diverdown

Handloader
Apr 29, 2015
Well guys, I did it again. I found myself a little gem at our local gunshow yesterday. I hadn't planned to go but needed some targets and of course half the fun is looking at everything. First off, there's powder, both pistol and rifle everywhere. I actually saw 4lb cans of 231. When was the last time anyone saw that? Just about every powder was available short of 1680 which due to the .300 blackout and Whisper series of cartridges is non existent. Getting back to the rifle, I was doing the usual walk through and came upon a particular table with about ten firearms both rifles and handguns. I looked at the small rack containing six and did a double take. Sitting in the rack was a Marlin model 39A with, what turned out to be a Redfield all steel peepsight. I picked it up rather quickly as there were other people looking and went over the rifle finding the bluing to be perfect along with the stock wood. Turns out the rifle was manufactured in 1956 and the owner was getting rid of a large part of his collection. I asked the price and expected the owner to give me a "Gunbroker" price. When he said $400.00 dollars I asked if he would take 350.00 He said split the difference and it's yours. I couldn't grab my wallet fast enough. I've been looking for this particular rifle for as long as I can remember but refused to pay the prices asked. This was a great find for me.

That is a great grab. Those little rifles tended to shoot very well. Good price, as well.

Nice snag they were always on the top of my want list and still want one but refuse to pay the premium they bring.

Outstanding!

The 39A is my absolute all-time favorite rifle. Sounds like you got a good one. Congrats!

Guy

The 39A never has been a cheap rifle but quality never is. I bought mine new in he 70's money well spent. You will enjoy it.

Finally got to the range today and had the opportunity to see how my new acquisition was going to shoot. I used Remington high speed solids at 50 yards and boy, did I get an eye opener. After a short sight-in session I fired 15 rounds at a shoot and see target and found one ragged hole about 1 1/4 inches in diameter. I put up another target and did the same thing and decided to call it a day before I screwed anything up. This gun shoots better than I ever imagined. Looking forward to taking home some squirrels and rabbits on my ventures out in the fields this fall.

That is truly positive. Looks like a better buy than even at first glance. Excellent.

Back