Winchester Super Shadow

HAWKEYESATX

Handloader
Aug 15, 2016
I was wondering if any of you had any experience with the last of the Winchester M70's that were CRPF and the caliber .300 WSM?
I had a Winchester XTR a while back that was in .243 Win.
I've never used the .300 WSM, and was wondering if it could stack up to the .300 Win Mag as published?
For some reason I was drawn to the short cartridge/high performance like the .308.
Any feedback is welcomed.
Thank you in advance.

I happen to have a .300 WSM in the "CRPF" version of the Model 70. It's a good action, very smooth. Mine has a Jewell trigger and a somewhat heavy laminated stock. The cartridge too is a good one.

Having owned several .300 Win Mag rifles over the decades, and this .300 WSM - I find them comparable in performance. A solid step up in velocity from my good old .30-06.

Years ago I played around with several different loads, and settled on one that shoots very well from this rifle, a 210 gr Berger VLD over H4350 for 2815 fps, with excellent accuracy.

I'm using Norma brass, Federal 215 match primers, H4350, the Berger bullet and loading on Hornady dies. Borrowed the load from a fellow who was using that cartridge for 1,000 yard competition. He did well, and the load shoots well.

Much as I like the rifle, I can't say I've used it a lot, but it's a good rifle and a good cartridge.

Regards, Guy

A 300wsm is slower than a 300wm by 50-75fps on average with everything else being equal. Mine is super accurate and they do kick less then a 300wm. Mine uses 69grs of powder with a 215 Berger and My buddy shoots 76grs in his with the same bullet. That amounts to about 13% less recoil for a loss of around 50fps.

Guy Miner":27tx781s said:
I happen to have a .300 WSM in the "CRPF" version of the Model 70. It's a good action, very smooth. Mine has a Jewell trigger and a somewhat heavy laminated stock. The cartridge too is a good one.

Having owned several .300 Win Mag rifles over the decades, and this .300 WSM - I find them comparable in performance. A solid step up in velocity from my good old .30-06.

Years ago I played around with several different loads, and settled on one that shoots very well from this rifle, a 210 gr Berger VLD over H4350 for 2815 fps, with excellent accuracy.

I'm using Norma brass, Federal 215 match primers, H4350, the Berger bullet and loading on Hornady dies. Borrowed the load from a fellow who was using that cartridge for 1,000 yard competition. He did well, and the load shoots well.

Much as I like the rifle, I can't say I've used it a lot, but it's a good rifle and a good cartridge.

Regards, Guy

Thank you very much Guy.
Mine is the all matte black synthetic stock rifle with a sporter barrel and target crown. One of the last to come out of New Haven.
It has a very wide style target trigger, fully adjustable. It also has the ridges on the trigger.
I look forward to shooting it. I haven't had a .300 Mag in over 20yrs, and I miss the one I last had. A Weatherby Vanguard black synthetic stock in .300 Weatherby, or as my buddy Fotis says, Bee.
I want to see how accurate she is. I've heard some good things about the .300WSM.
It's going to be mainly used as a big game rifle.
I've got a Lee Precision 3 die set to reload the brass after I shoot the factory stuff.
Besides H4350, what are other good powders for the stubby mag?
I'm thinking of using Nosler 165-168 AB's and BT, along with 180's of the same types of bullets.
Is there a powder that works well for the .308 & .300WSM?

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

IdahoCTD":ynpmhpxd said:
A 300wsm is slower than a 300wm by 50-75fps on average with everything else being equal. Mine is super accurate and they do kick less then a 300wm. Mine uses 69grs of powder with a 215 Berger and My buddy shoots 76grs in his with the same bullet. That amounts to about 13% less recoil for a loss of around 50fps.

Thank you Idaho!
I will keep that in mind.
Is yours a Winchester M70 CRPF as well?

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

Mine is a custom on a long action SS Remington 700 with a center feed Wyatt mag box and a Brux barrel. With 215 Bergers my OAL is just under 3.2". I haven't shot a factory gun in anything over .22 caliber in a long time.

Wow! Idaho!
I eventually want to build my own rifles like that, and build AR's.
I bet your .300WSM is cool looking!

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

I have had several of the Winchester CRPF rifles, one in 300 WSM. All have delivered excellent accuracy. The 300 WSM is an excellent cartridge; I've taken moose, elk, mule deer, whitetail and black bear with this cartridge. It will likely have a place in my inventory for many years to come. My current CRPF is chambered in .284 Winchester and is a joy to shoot.

DrMike":298t84w0 said:
I have had several of the Winchester CRPF rifles, one in 300 WSM. All have delivered excellent accuracy. The 300 WSM is an excellent cartridge; I've taken moose, elk, mule deer, whitetail and black bear with this cartridge. It will likely have a place in my inventory for many years to come. My current CRPF is chambered in .284 Winchester and is a joy to shoot.

That's amazing Dr. Mike! I'm glad to hear that they give more than acceptable accuracy. That's a load off my mind.
The XTR I had over 20 years ago was in .243 was extremely accurate. I had heard that the last Model 70's weren't as accurate or refined out of New Haven.
After I handled this one, I was more than happy. It's a smooth action. Light, crisp trigger.
I can't wait to go after some big critters with it.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

My current 300 WSM is the Winchester Classic built when FN resumed production in 2008. It is not only pleasant to shoot, it is good looking. I sold the other that I had at that time. The CRPF got a bad rap from traditionalist, but truthfully, it was (and is) a fine design that produced even better accuracy than the CRF that was produced in the nineties. I have not been concerned when picking up CRPF actions for new builds. They shoot quite well.

HAWKEYESATX":252a4kfu said:
Wow! Idaho!
I eventually want to build my own rifles like that, and build AR's.
I bet your .300WSM is cool looking!

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

I will put a picture up when I get it totally done. I'm sending the bolt out to be fluted next week and will get it all Cerakoted after that. Tomorrow it's going to be bagging steel at 660yds :mrgreen: .

RL17, 19, 4350, 4831 and a few others really work well in the 300 WSM. It was a really easy cartridge to shoot.

SJB358":3prlw8i4 said:
RL17, 19, 4350, 4831 and a few others really work well in the 300 WSM. It was a really easy cartridge to shoot.

Thank you SJB358! I will remember those. Good stuff to know!

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

I shoot 69grs of R-26 with a 215 Berger at 2950fps. I just shot this morning at 625yds. The first shot was dead center and splatted the bullseye on my plate so it made the other shots a bit tougher. The first two were under 2" and I pulled the 3rd to just over 3.5". The two shots to the right high and low were my buddies 300wm I'm working on loads for. BTW all of the shot were prone off a bipod in the back of my truck.

Attachments

• 300wsm625yds.jpg
    300wsm625yds.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 918
I think it's pretty much ready to dirt nap some critters. Once my buddy gets the disk blades finish I'll hang them at 800 and 950yds to verify drops and then it should be game on for our Oct. 1st bull hunt.

BTW the recoil difference is noticeable between the 300wsm and my buddies 300wm even though the velocity is close. His was shooting 2900fps with 76grs of H-1000 and 3000fps with 75grs of R-26.

Holy Cow! That's amazing groups! And velocity!
I think I'm going to love the .300WSM!

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

Isn't it amazing how close the 2 cartridges are in velocity, but not in recoil?!? Are the reports similar, or you can tell a difference as well?
I love how super efficient the .300WSM is!
Just like the .308 Winchester!

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

I shot both guns side by side and the 300wm does have more recoil. The guns are almost identical builds and weigh within a few ounces of each other.

Would you say the .300WSM is like a stout .30-06? Or definitely in the Magnum category? No matter, I've shot some really heavy hitters in the past. Just trying to gauge what I should expect.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

Back