WLR primer and h 414 ; w 760

RAY

Handloader
Jan 31, 2015
From what I have read , ball powders need mag primers for a starting load ,so what about WLR primers that Nosler calls for ?

Are WLRs suitable for cold weather ignition ?

Ball powders don't "require" mag primers; they do benefit from mag primers as they give more reliable ignition in many instances.

WLR primers are perhaps the hottest rifle primers. At one time, they were substituted for mag primers in many loads.

WLR primers are suitable for cold weather (-45 C sufficiently cold to convince you?).

Ray. I do my load workups during Tucson's hot summers. Sometimes as hot as 110 in the shade and there ain't any shade. :lol: I loaded up 165 gr. Accubonds for my 30-06 with W760 and the WLR primer and when I got to Raton New Mexico, shot to check sighting the day before my elk hunt. No change in point of impact and groups were MOA or slightly less. Temperature was around 20*F. Had no problem busting the 300 plus yard prairie dog pop up target and the NRA's Whittington center's range. Using that same WLR primer in a .300 Win. Mag. a few years prior, I got the same results using WMR powder pushing a 200 gr. Speer Hot Core. Load worked up in the summer and shot at around 25*F. Also shot a .270 with WMR this last January at Raton, again no change in POI and .75" groups, just like in the summer. Note that the primers are the nickel plated ones, not the brass colored current version Winchester is selling. I'll be heading to Raton come next January for another elk hunt so maybe I should try a few of the newer primers and take them as test loads to shoot in the cold. I'll still have my loads with the older primers as back up if there are any problems.
Paul B.

Dr. Mike, ya beat me to the draw. I guess -45*C is convincing evidence that they work. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Paul B.

DrMike":ultc6ocq said:
Ball powders don't "require" mag primers; they do benefit from mag primers as they give more reliable ignition in many instances.

WLR primers are perhaps the hottest rifle primers. At one time, they were substituted for mag primers in many loads.

WLR primers are suitable for cold weather (-45 C sufficiently cold to convince you?).
Thank you Dr Mike , yeah Speers manual # 14 is where I read about mags and starting loads for ball powder.

Rem. uses klean bore primers for their scirocco line and ball powder , but I no nothing about klean bore.

The question does come up about factory ammo with ball powders and mag primers; if they use them .

I bought a 1000 of CCI LR and today I'm going to see about a 1000 WLRS.

PJGunner":3t0wnhno said:
Ray. I do my load workups during Tucson's hot summers. Sometimes as hot as 110 in the shade and there ain't any shade. :lol: I loaded up 165 gr. Accubonds for my 30-06 with W760 and the WLR primer and when I got to Raton New Mexico, shot to check sighting the day before my elk hunt. No change in point of impact and groups were MOA or slightly less. Temperature was around 20*F. Had no problem busting the 300 plus yard prairie dog pop up target and the NRA's Whittington center's range. Using that same WLR primer in a .300 Win. Mag. a few years prior, I got the same results using WMR powder pushing a 200 gr. Speer Hot Core. Load worked up in the summer and shot at around 25*F. Also shot a .270 with WMR this last January at Raton, again no change in POI and .75" groups, just like in the summer. Note that the primers are the nickel plated ones, not the brass colored current version Winchester is selling. I'll be heading to Raton come next January for another elk hunt so maybe I should try a few of the newer primers and take them as test loads to shoot in the cold. I'll still have my loads with the older primers as back up if there are any problems.
Paul B.
Wow ! I was under the impression that you had to make adjustments according to the weather .

Thanks for the info !

boomer68":2rddskpv said:
Good info as well. I have been using LR with my loads, but might try LRM.
Have you been using those Fed. 210s and W760 for hunting in cold Temps ?

No, just started using them. It does get a wee bit nippy here in Alberta in the winter :)

nvbroncrider":1lqhiu9d said:
I have had no problems with them down to -20 I wouldn't be too concerned about it.
Thanks , I got me a 1000 CT lot today while the gettin's good.

Win caps will do nicely.

BTW Win 760 is the same as H414

and Win 296 is the sme as H110

FOTIS":3mui0rjg said:
Win caps will do nicely.

BTW Win 760 is the same as H414

and Win 296 is the sme as H110
Good to know. Thank you !!!!!

Back