Wolf Delisting

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Here is the latest info I have on the wolf hunt... Scotty

Wolf Delisting Bill to Pass Congress this Week

Folks,

It appears that a wolf delisting bill will very likely pass this week in Congress. The wolf delisting language is included in the continuing resolution to keep the government funded. We expect that this bill will pass by the end of this week. The language will be a victory primarily for Idaho and Montana, though portions of Utah, Oregon and Washington are also included in the delisting. Important language was also added yesterday to preserve Wyoming's court victory in support of important aspects of its wolf management plan.

This bill stops short of returning full state management authority back to these states, including Idaho and Montana. So USFWS remains in a supervisory role. If USFWS does not interfere and allows the states do their job, a wide variety of wolf management activities can be resumed by these states. We are hopeful this would be a step in the right direction for some of these states. This action does very clearly show that Congressional action is not only possible, but also necessary to delist no longer endangered wolf populations.

We could name a long list of names of members of Congress who have worked so diligently to delist wolf populations. Specifically, thanks go out to Senator Hatch and Lee of Utah, Senators Barrasso and Enzi of Wyoming, Senators Crapo and Risch of Idaho, Senators Kyl and McCain of Arizona, Senators Tester and Baucus of Montana, Congressman Rehberg of Montana, Congresswoman Lummis of Wyoming, Congressman Simpson of Idaho, Congressmen Matheson, Bishop and Chaffetz of Utah. We have not always agreed with some of these members, but all played an important role in getting wolves delisted.

Thanks also go to many sportsmen and conservation organizations that have lent their efforts and donations to Big Game Forever and to the wolf delisting efforts. Most importantly, this victory belongs to thousands and thousands of sportsmen from all 50 states who have truly gotten in the fight to protect the future of hunting through Big Game Forever. This week we will win an important victory in Congress that many experts said couldn't be won. You can't win a fight, if you are not willing to fight. So thank you to all those who have worked so diligently to make this happen. Your phone calls, emails and ongoing efforts were constantly a major conversation among members of Congress and legislative staff. This was truly a game changer in this fight for the future of wildlife in America.

While this has been an extremely difficult victory, it is hard to celebrate too much when we know that this bill does not delist most Western and Midwestern states. To our friends in Wyoming, Arizona, New Mexico, Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Utah, Nevada, Colorado, California, North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa and many other states: We share your frustration that you were not included in this delisting. While it was not our decision to go with a two state bill, the actions of a few made this a self-fulfilling conclusion. We also worked very hard to make sure the bill did not destroy Wyoming's court victory in support of the right of states to make important wildlife management decisions. So while we celebrate the fact that Congress has now recognized that they must act to delist wolves. We know this is not good enough to fix the challenges of unmanaged wolves across the country.

We call on all sportsmen and all members of Congress to increase their effort and resolve to finish the fight. Thousands of emails are going to members of Congress to try to slow wolf delisting for the rest of the country. Let’s counter this effort with thousands of emails asking members of Congress to finish the fight. There are some who will use this two-state provision to try to kill the momentum on additional Congressional actions. We cannot let this happen. It is time to delist wolves in all states. Wildlife populations in the Midwest and West have suffered terribly. It is clear that Congress is willing act to address the problems of unmanaged wolves for some states. It is time for members of Congress to engage in the battle to delist wolves in your state and restore the primacy of states to manage their own wildlife.

Help us finish the fight. Ask all of your friends to join the effort at Big Game Forever to engage in this important fight for the future of hunting and wildlife in America. Signing the petition is fast, it’s easy and it’s free. Make a donation to help fund the ongoing efforts.

Let’s finish what we started.
--
Ryan Benson

National Director, Big Game Forever

Please take a minute and ask your friends to sign the petition at http://biggameforever.org/

This is certain to get activist judges moving. Congress has no authority anymore. Laws are made by judges--mostly liberal judges, at that.

Hopefully it sticks so we can start hunting them again the elk numbers are low in alot of areas because of them and they seem to be getting closer and closer to the towns

Man, I would take 30 days leave in order to call and hunt wolves if it were legal! They are just about the ultimate predator and calling them in would be unreal! Scotty

Too bad the delisting only covers a couple states :evil: We have them raising hell on our deer population in Minnesota, but this liberal state won't do anything about it. Time for all the farmers to continue their winter "baiting" programs. :roll:

beretzs":3ol5y1e3 said:
Man, I would take 30 days leave in order to call and hunt wolves if it were legal! They are just about the ultimate predator and calling them in would be unreal! Scotty

You've obviously never called in a bear or a cougar....

I'd throw on a banana-hammock and Jello-O Wrestle a couple of wolves before I'd tangle with a 150 pound cat.... especially a cat that thinks it coming to eat!

I'd throw on a banana-hammock and Jello-O Wrestle a couple of wolves before I'd tangle with a 150 pound cat.... especially a cat that thinks it coming to eat

+1

Excellent choice for excitement that demands the best of the hunter.

Songdog":1c7ds8bd said:

I'd throw on a banana-hammock and Jello-O Wrestle a couple of wolves before I'd tangle with a 150 pound cat.... especially a cat that thinks it coming to eat!

That absolutely made me laugh out loud!

Songdog":da9phb6l said:
beretzs":da9phb6l said:

That was pretty good SD! Scotty

Here is the latest I have received. Scotty

House and Senate pass bill today with wolf delisting language
Folks,
Congressional action to delist wolf populations in Idaho and Montana appears to be moving quickly toward passage. The House of Representatives voted today in support of the Continuing Resolution by a margin of 260-167. The Senate also has voted to pass the Continuing Resolution. We are awaiting confirmation of the actual vote tally in the Senate. The bill continues to include wolf delisting language for a portion of the Northern Rockies.
The President will need to sign the bill into law by midnight tomorrow April 15, 2011 to avoid a shut down of the government. It is expected the President will sign the bill into law.
As many are aware, the wolf language in the bill codifies the April 2009 delisting rule which focuses on the approved wolf management plans for Idaho and Montana. Despite language that would delist portions of Oregon and Washington and a nominal portion of Northern Utah in the delisted zone, the focus on approved management plans in the 2009 rule make clear that the states where management authority will be returned are Idaho and Montana.
Passage of this bill will demonstrate that Congressional delisting is not only possible, but also necessary for states to be able to manage and protect wildlife populations, including wolves, within their borders. We are hopeful the passage of a wolf delisting bill for a few states will be followed by a broader delisting bill which would include additional states in the West and Midwest. While passage of this bill is significant step in the right direction, it clearly does not solve the issue. We continue to support the right of all states to manage wolves and other wildlife within their borders without federal intervention.
The environmental and animal rights community have been working hard to derail the legislation. Feel free to take a minute and call or email your Congressional delegation to let them know your feelings on the pending wolf delisting language in the Continuing Resolution.

T'would be far more effective.... and efficient.... if they delisted Lobbyists. I'd way rather have a couple of those pelts on my wall....

Couldnt agree more! Plus they are right in my back yard. Don't even have to travel far! Scotty

Tanning them might be difficult, and you'd have to be mighty careful not to scare them before you harvested them. Might scare them so much that there wouldn't be much left.

Songdog":g3jbsg0e said:
T'would be far more effective.... and efficient.... if they delisted Lobbyists. I'd way rather have a couple of those pelts on my wall....

I would think of this as more like a prairie dog shoot. :mrgreen:

JD338

Where do they borrow at ??? The prez is supposed to sign the wolf bill tomorrow !!!! A great job by our elected officials from both sides of the isle.

Washington and Idaho regs on line now. !!!!

JD338":2f35z151 said:
Songdog":2f35z151 said:

I would think of this as more like a prairie dog shoot. :mrgreen:

JD338
Can I play??? :) :wink:

I opened this one up again. Idaho Game and Fish is discussing the opportunities for a Wolf hunt again. Nothing out official but my spies tell me its going to happen. Montana maybe also, but I have no spies in Montana. We can hope !!!!!

I just opened the Idaho Fish and Game website and they are selling Wolf Tags !!!!!!! Season and limit regulations will be forthcoming. !!!

Congratulations to all who will be hunting wolves in Idaho! That is great.

Man, Bill we should slide over to Idaho!!! We could do an all access wolf hunt! I bet I know where we could get on them! Scotty

Back