Wolves

I'm pretty sure it use to be over 20,000 Scotty. So it hasn't been good for a long time up there.

According to an Idaho FFA member's speech at the Oregon state convention last weekend it was much higher. I believe the number she quoted was approximately 48,000 for the Yellowstone herd before the wolf reintroduction program began.

I'm interested to see whether Idaho's management plan is succesful at controlling the wolf population before the elk numbers dwindle to the point that the wolves population becomes controlled by the limiting factor of prey abundance (in this case, lack thereof).

The wolf pop here in Oregon isn't very high yet. I just hope that our state can learn something from states like Idaho BEFORE we have a big problem of dwindling game animal herds. Not that I have too high of hopes for the Libbys in the west allowing a very aggressive management plan...sigh.

Good Luck to all with a tag in their pocket!

"Those timberwolves are hitting 270-300 pounds and they hunt in packs of 10-12"

I've talked to the Federal Trappers out here, the guys that teach the Trappers how to catch Wolves, guys who have trapped or shot more wolves then any of us can imagine. The Biggest they ever came across was 130 Pounds with a full belly of meat. I hear lots of stories of how HUGE these things are and they are big, but they are not 300 pounds. The wolves that were in Idaho pre-introduction are Genetically and exactly the same wolves post-introduction that were brought from Canada - same species, DNA can confirm that.

Having said that, they are a menace and I carry my wolf TAG(S) on me at all times and I am happy to here they are increasing the bag limits this year. I hope that "bloody snow picture" with the trapped wolf doesn't screw things up.

FLAT BOLT":26qwazv9 said:
"Those timberwolves are hitting 270-300 pounds and they hunt in packs of 10-12"

I've talked to the Federal Trappers out here, the guys that teach the Trappers how to catch Wolves, guys who have trapped or shot more wolves then any of us can imagine. The Biggest they ever came across was 130 Pounds with a full belly of meat. I hear lots of stories of how HUGE these things are and they are big, but they are not 300 pounds. The wolves that were in Idaho pre-introduction are Genetically and exactly the same wolves post-introduction that were brought from Canada - same species, DNA can confirm that.

Having said that, they are a menace and I carry my wolf TAG(S) on me at all times and I am happy to here they are increasing the bag limits this year. I hope that "bloody snow picture" with the trapped wolf doesn't screw things up.

I talked to the head wolf biologist when I shot my wolf in 2009 and he said they had male wolves ranging in the 120-150lbs range (mine was about the 13 or 14th one shot legally). The females were running 70-100lbs. The female I shot in September (It was still hot out and she looked small to me) weighed 90lbs after a day and losing a lot of blood. I've seen pictures of several big males including the one my friend shot last year that literally dwarfed mine. So I think it's a pretty realistic to have a wolf weigh upwards of 200lbs. Over that is a stretch though.

I personally don't understand why fish and game doesn't open the whole state up to any means of harvest, short of poison, and remove the quotas. They are so well established now and so much of the state is so remote you'd never cut the numbers down below the 150 minimum without poison or aerial gunning. I also think they should put out a map showing the ranges of the packs they know about. It's to their benefit to reduce the numbers to allow the game a chance at coming back. The big game is their revenue. Or better yet they fight the feds so they would only have to have them in the Frank Church area. Like Wyoming did with Yellowstone. Outside that area they are a predator and can be shot on site.

I should have put in my other list of Hobbies...MAPS! If you want a Map of Idaho showing all the Packs, groups or known animals let me know...I have a .pdf I can send you, I have a large format of that map printed and on display.

Its amazing the difference some fluffy hair can add to the weight of an animal. I run into folks (folks that I know to be good hunters) that routinely see 50-60 pound coyotes, all the bears they see are 300+ pounds. I cant argue that there are some toads in those hills and given the buffet Idaho offers I am sure there are some monsters out there.

FLAT BOLT":38h7e7kr said:
I should have put in my other list of Hobbies...MAPS! If you want a Map of Idaho showing all the Packs, groups or known animals let me know...I have a .pdf I can send you, I have a large format of that map printed and on display.

I could use whatever you have of the Frank Church. Forgot about the real job you have. People would think you could be a pro trapper with all those pics.

Frank Church is big...thats alotta maps. Narrow it down to a few hundred square miles and I will see what I can do for you, soft spot in my heart for you 2 Virginia boys.

FLAT BOLT":3bfeefpo said:
Frank Church is big...thats alotta maps. Narrow it down to a few hundred square miles and I will see what I can do for you, soft spot in my heart for you 2 Virginia boys.

We actually need another area. We aren't hunting in the FC this year. I will PM you the units. Or Brian can.

Here, now, Scotty. There's not supposed to be any commercial dealings going on. On second thought, I believe you and Brian will need all the help you can get. Get the maps. :mrgreen:

DrMike":2rjo3rle said:
Here, now, Scotty. There's not supposed to be any commercial dealings going on. On second thought, I believe you and Brian will need all the help you can get. Get the maps. :mrgreen:

You aren't kidding about that!

Hey, it must've been a tough week. You haven't been posting much. Good to see you get a break. Plus, when you're around, you're sufficiently high profile that it deflects attacks on other posters. :grin:

DrMike":11oidj3l said:
Hey, it must've been a tough week. You haven't been posting much. Good to see you get a break. Plus, when you're around, you're sufficiently high profile that it deflects attacks on other posters. :grin:

Seems like we get one every year around here... I have been traveling a bit Mike. Good to catch back up with you all.. Still trying to catch up around here.

Where are you heading to Scotty? Are you putting in for a drawing or a general tag? I know where there are several packs of wolves as well. I've seen my fair share over the last 10 years or so and have hunted with 30 miles of where they released them for as long as I've lived in Idaho and even before I lived here.

The guy I hunt with in Wyoming owns the bar & grill in the little town he lives in. He has a bumper sticker on the front of his bar that reads:

"WOLVES, SMOKE A PACK A DAY"

He spends a tremendous amount of time in the Bighorn's picking up sheds, scouting, and hunting and he hates the wolves. He said the number of kills he finds is staggering and increasing every year.

Back