Wolves

Anyone who goes to hunt elk in Idaho or any western state that sales tags needs to buy a wolf tag. Those things are a menace. Those timberwolves are hitting 270-300 pounds and they hunt in packs of 10-12. Do all of us ranchers a favor. Plus they are spreading at a alarming rate. In 1997 I believe when they reintroduced the wolf they had 50. Now the known count is over 2500. Its like a wildfire with cheat grass. I know for a fact they have crossed into the Jarbridge area of Nevada as well with no end in sight because they are at the top of the food chain.

I am going back to the Dillion area of Montana to hunt elk this fall. The last time I was there was 2009 and the number of elk was way down from the last time I was there in 2007. The rancher who owns the land we have to cross to get to the BLM land we hunt on said he had lost over 300 sheep that year to wolves. I understand that year to year won't be the same as far where you find the elk in a given area, but there is a real need to reduce the wolf numbers in some states in order to get the herds back and bring non-resident hunters back. My understanding is that a large share of the wildlife management dollars are produced from those license sales.

I will have a wolf tag in my pocket this year while I am hunting in Idaho for sure. The wolves have really taken root in alot of the Wilderness areas of ID. The big problem is a guy isn't liking to get back into the areas they run to put a dent in them. They have opened up the season and limits, but again, most folks won't go through the effort to get out to these highly inaccessible areas to hunt them..

Tag a wolf. The pelts are among some of the most beautiful you can have in your home. It is soft and some of the most gorgeous hues imaginable.

Most of the states are doing the best that they can to reduce the problem. Idaho I believe has reduced their population by over 300 in the last year. Thats not enough but thats a lot of animals that won't be eating elk. Another year or two west wide and we should see some significant improvements in big game numbers.

SJB358":3u6y37ai said:
I will have a wolf tag in my pocket this year while I am hunting in Idaho for sure. The wolves have really taken root in alot of the Wilderness areas of ID. The big problem is a guy isn't liking to get back into the areas they run to put a dent in them. They have opened up the season and limits, but again, most folks won't go through the effort to get out to these highly inaccessible areas to hunt them..

I will have an Idaho wolf tag in my pocket also. Think I would be just as happy tagging a wolf as I would tagging a bull elk.

Just to correct this.....they aren't timber wolves they are Canadian grey wolves. We had timber wolves before the introduction of the grey wolf.

IdahoCTD":12c1a0lb said:
Just to correct this.....they aren't timber wolves they are Canadian grey wolves. We had timber wolves before the introduction of the grey wolf.

Idahoctd hit the nail on the head! They are the monster Canadians out there! They are long legged elk/moose/caribou killing MACHINES! They are the most efficient hunters out there if you ask me. Nothing is really safe from them..

IdahoCTD":8jzqqz7n said:

I'm not sure there is really a difference especially since Idaho borders B.C. IIRC the wolves the introduced back into Yellowstone came from DrMikes area over in the Peace River. Wolves have to also be heading south from B.C. naturally as well just like the abundant grizzlies in the Kootenays spreading out their range to areas the historically were.

Do you fellows need a few more wolves? We have a plethora of wolves this year!

DrMike":1v7alnna said:
Do you fellows need a few more wolves? We have a plethora of wolves this year!

We have over 10000 and counting. So we are with Dr Mike, we can give you some or even take some and never know the difference (-;

I hope you fellas tag on on your wolf tags. They are bad news.

JD338

There were 20,000 + plus when the Wolves were introduced

March 27, 2012

News Release from the Northern Yellowstone Cooperative Wildlife Working Group

Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife & Parks (contact: Karen Loveless, 406/333-4211)
National Park Service (contact: Doug Smith, 307/344-2242)
U.S. Forest Service (contact: Rachel Feigley, USFS Livingston Office)
U.S. Geological Survey (contact: Paul Cross, 406/994-6908)

2011-2012 Winter Count of Northern Yellowstone Elk

The Northern Yellowstone Cooperative Wildlife Working Group conducted its annual winter survey of the Northern Yellowstone elk population on March 7, 2012. The survey, using three airplanes, was conducted by staff from the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife, and Parks and the National Park Service. Staff counted 4,174 elk, including 1,440 elk (34%) inside Yellowstone National Park and on Deckard Flats south of Bear Creek and 2,734 elk (66%) elsewhere north of the park. Survey conditions were favorable across the region with fresh snow and good visibility.

The count of 4,174 elk at the close of the 2012 winter season was ten percent lower than the 2011 winter count of 4635. Looking back further, between the winters of 2007 and the end of winter 2010, elk numbers ranged from 6,070 to 7,109.

The Working Group will continue to monitor trends of the northern Yellowstone elk population and evaluate the relative contribution of various components of mortality, including predation, environmental factors, and hunting. The Working Group was formed in 1974 to cooperatively preserve and protect the long-term integrity of the northern Yellowstone winter range for wildlife species by increasing our scientific knowledge of the species and their habitats, promoting prudent land management activities, and encouraging an interagency approach to answering questions and solving problems. The Working Group is comprised of resource managers and biologists from the Montana Fish, Wildlife, & Parks, National Park Service (Yellowstone National Park), U.S. Forest Service (Gallatin National Forest), and U.S. Geological Survey-Northern Rocky Mountain Science Center, Bozeman.

Elkman":3o7k22hm said:
There were 20,000 + plus when the Wolves were introduced

March 27, 2012

News Release from the Northern Yellowstone Cooperative Wildlife Working Group

Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife & Parks (contact: Karen Loveless, 406/333-4211)
National Park Service (contact: Doug Smith, 307/344-2242)
U.S. Forest Service (contact: Rachel Feigley, USFS Livingston Office)
U.S. Geological Survey (contact: Paul Cross, 406/994-6908)

2011-2012 Winter Count of Northern Yellowstone Elk

The Northern Yellowstone Cooperative Wildlife Working Group conducted its annual winter survey of the Northern Yellowstone elk population on March 7, 2012. The survey, using three airplanes, was conducted by staff from the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife, and Parks and the National Park Service. Staff counted 4,174 elk, including 1,440 elk (34%) inside Yellowstone National Park and on Deckard Flats south of Bear Creek and 2,734 elk (66%) elsewhere north of the park. Survey conditions were favorable across the region with fresh snow and good visibility.

The count of 4,174 elk at the close of the 2012 winter season was ten percent lower than the 2011 winter count of 4635. Looking back further, between the winters of 2007 and the end of winter 2010, elk numbers ranged from 6,070 to 7,109.

The Working Group will continue to monitor trends of the northern Yellowstone elk population and evaluate the relative contribution of various components of mortality, including predation, environmental factors, and hunting. The Working Group was formed in 1974 to cooperatively preserve and protect the long-term integrity of the northern Yellowstone winter range for wildlife species by increasing our scientific knowledge of the species and their habitats, promoting prudent land management activities, and encouraging an interagency approach to answering questions and solving problems. The Working Group is comprised of resource managers and biologists from the Montana Fish, Wildlife, & Parks, National Park Service (Yellowstone National Park), U.S. Forest Service (Gallatin National Forest), and U.S. Geological Survey-Northern Rocky Mountain Science Center, Bozeman.

That isn't looking good for the elk!

Back